CLASS OF 2013
ATLANTA SPORTS HALL OF FAME NOMINATIONS PACKAGE CHECKLIST:
_____ Read general rules and guidelines
_____ Verify the nominee meets eligibility requirements
____ Verify your nominee is not already a member or current nominee on our list
_____ Submit nomination in writing with supporting documentation
_____ Fill out “Friends of the Hall” Sponsor Sheet (This is required if you are not already a sponsor in 2012 or a member of the Hall of Fame.)
_____ Send completed forms and Friends of Hall check by October 27, 2012
_____ Mailing address: Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame
3320 Compass Way
Alpharetta, GA 30004
_____ Make plans to attend the “Awards & Induction Ceremony” in June of 2013
_____ Visit the Hall of Fame website for updates:
“FRIENDS OF THE HALL”
Please add me as a 2012-2013 “Friends of The Hall” Supporter.
CITY: ________________________ STATE: _________________ ZIP: _____________
COMPANY NAME: _________________________________________________________________
Would you like to be contacted about volunteering for the Hall of Fame?
_____ $25 _____$50 ______ $100 _____ $250
_____ $500 _____$1000 ______Other Paid with check # ________
Mail along with your nominations form to: Atlanta Sports Hall Of Fame
3320 Compass Way
Alpharetta, GA 30004
For more information visit our website at: www.AtlantaSportsHallofFame.org
CLASS OF 2013 NOMINATIONS PROCESS
GENERAL RULES AND GUIDELINES
The Board of Directors of the Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame has the responsibility for selection of inductees into the Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame. The Board has adopted a policy whereby they will determine the number of inductees per year at their annual Board Meeting. For the Class of 2013, the Board has determined that the Hall of Fame will induct no more than five inductees.
Nominees must be from the Atlanta area at the time of their prominence, or be a person native to the Atlanta area who has made a noteworthy contribution to sports or who otherwise has been closely identified with sports in the Atlanta area. If alive, nominees must be present at the Induction Ceremony to be inducted. (This can be waived by majority vote of the Selections and Nominations Committee if needed for extreme situations such as health reasons.) No more than two nominees from any one sport or activity can be inducted in the same year, unless they are nominated as a team. All nominees will go through a multi-tiered screening process.
In order to assure fair, impartial and quality representation in the Hall of Fame, the Board has adopted the following policies governing Eligibility, Nominations, and Selection of Hall of Fame members.
To be eligible for the Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame a nomination must be for an individual or team in the Greater Atlanta Area as defined by the US Census MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area). This is the 28 county region shown on the map below.
Nominees must have:
1) Been born in Greater Atlanta or resided in the Greater Atlanta area long enough to have attended high school, and/or
2) Participated in a sports activity in Greater Atlanta for at least four years or
3) Been a citizen of Greater Atlanta and brought honor to the City through his/her sports endeavors, and
4) Participated in their sport or activity for at least 20 years, or have been retired for 3 years, or in the event of a death an individual or team is immediately eligible, and
5) Exemplify the highest standards of sportsmanship, ethical conduct and moral character.
All information on the nomination form must be completed in writing, and all supporting documentation received by
October 27, 2012, to be considered for the 2013 class. The completed nomination form and support materials should be sent to: Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame, 3320 Compass Way, Alpharetta, GA 30004.
Once the nomination form is received by the ASHOF, all action necessary to the selection process shall remain confidential. The Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame shall retain all information submitted.
A completed nomination can be accompanied by the following support documentation:
1) A letter of recommendation from the nominator.
2) Respective records from high school, college, and/or professional associations.
3) Endorsements from appropriate individuals from the nominee’s career.
4) Supporting newspaper and magazine articles.
In cases where other support material is difficult to obtain, additional letters may be in order to substantiate the individual’s accomplishments or contributions. A limited number of newspaper clippings, magazine articles, copies of scorebooks and statistics should be included to help substantiate and verify the accomplishments and contributions of the nominee. These materials should focus on athletic accomplishments and contributions in their particular sport or activity and should be listed in chronological order. Please limit any additional supporting documentation to four pages.
A portrait-type photograph also should accompany this nomination. If the nominee is inducted into the Hall of Fame, the nominee or individual submitting the nomination shall furnish, at no cost to the Hall of Fame, an 8” x 10” color photograph of the nominee.
In completing the nomination materials, please observe the following:
1) All copies should be 8 1/2” x 11”.
2) Nominators should sign their names on the form.
3) Do not use highlighters to point out specific facts; either underline or draw arrows to mark copy.
5) Please type or write all material so that copy is legible.
6) Put names on all photos.
Nominations for consideration for selection to the Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame may be made by:
1) Members of the Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame.
2) Sponsors and “Friends” of the Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame.
An individual can only submit one nominee annually. In submitting nominations, please remember that the Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame requires that all inductees attend the annual Induction Ceremony. The 2013 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will be held in the summer of 2013. Inductees will be notified by November 30, 2012 of their selection. The Hall of Fame will also incorporate High School, College, and Amateur Awards and, if possible, Educational Programs with the Induction Ceremony.
Please type or computer-generate information for appropriate application sections. This form also can be downloaded from the ASHOF web site (www.atlantasportshalloffame.org). If the form is not filled out properly, it will be sent back to the nominator for revision.
All nominees will go through a multi-tiered screening process. The screening and voting process will start in October 2012, and finish by November 2012.
THE 43 CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE ATLANTA SPORTS HOF
Class of 2005 Class of 2006 Class of 2007 Class of 2008
Hank Aaron Furman Bisher Tommy Barnes Steve Bartkowski
Bobby Cox Bobby Cremins Gayle Barron Bill Elliott
Bobby Dodd Evander Holyfield Lou Hudson Claude Humphrey
Bobby Jones James “Red” Moore Ernie Johnson, Sr. Edwin Moses
Tommy Nobis Phil Niekro Dale Murphy John Schuerholz
Dominique Wilkins Wyomia Tyus Jeff Van Note Louise Suggs
Class of 2009 Class of 2010 Class of 2011 Class of 2012
Skip Caray & Pete VanWieren Bill Curry Mark Price Jackie Bradford
Edith Duvall Tom Glavine Dr.Tim Singleton Bill Hartman
Walt Frazier Buck Godfrey Jessie Tuggle Dr. Phil McCrary
John Heisman Larry Nelson Mel Pender
CURRENT “CARRY OVER” NOMINEES FOR CLASS OF 2013
(46 nominees as of October 1, 2012)…they do not have to be resubmitted for 2013
1) 1938 Atlanta Black Crackers Team, Baseball 2) Tony Barnhart, Journalist/Author
3) Beau Bock, Contributor/Broadcaster 4) Cindy Brogden, Basketball
5) Keith Brooking, Football 6) Al Ciraldo, Broadcaster
7) Chuck Dowdle, Broadcaster 8) Lefty Dreisell, Basketball Coach
9) Jeff Galloway, Multi (Track and Coach) 10) Bill Gazaway, Administrator
11) Mike Glenn, Basketball 12).Mary Ellen Gordon, Tennis
13) Lewis Grizzard, Journalist and Author 14) Charlie Harrison, Golf
15) Ernie Harwell, Journalist and Announcer 16) Bob Heck, Coach
17) Eddie Henderson Sr., Administrator/Coach 18) Drew Hill, Football
19) Bill Holleman, Coach 20) Bob Horner, Baseball
21) Kim King, Football 22) Steve Lundquist, Swimming
23) Greg Maddux, Baseball 24) Earl Mann, Administrator/Owner
25) Bill Mathis, Football 26) Leo Mazzone, Coach
27) Al Mead, Track and Field 28) Bob Montag, Baseball
29) George Morris, Football 30) Larry Morris, Football
31) Larry Munson, Announcer 32) Raymond Parks, Administrator
33) Billy Payne, Administrator 34) Frank Pitts, Football
35) George Rogers, Football 36) John Salley, Basketball
37) Deion Sanders 38) Clarence Scott, Football
39) Chuck Smith, Football 40) John Smoltz, Baseball
41) Matt Stincomb, Football 42) Gary Stokan, Administrator
43) Gwen Torrence, Track 44) Ted Turner, Administrator/Owner
45) Kevin Willis, Basketball 46) Phil Woosman, Coach and GM
***NEW NOMINEES FOR CLASS OF 2013 DUE BY Oct. 27, 2012***
NOMINATION FORM Date Received By HOF
ATLANTA SPORTS HALL OF FAME ____________________
PHONE NUMBER (S) __________________________________________________________________________
DATE OF BIRTH_______________________PLACE OF BIRTH_______________________________________
DATE OF DEATH (if applicable) _________________________________________________________________
HIGH SCHOOL ATTENDED ____________________________________________________________________
CITY, COUNTY, STATE OF HIGH SCHOOL
COLLEGE (S) ATTENDED _____________________________________________________________________ CITY, COUNTY, STATE OF COLLEGE(S)
YEARS AND NUMBER OF YEARS ASSOCIATED WITH ATLANTA
(example: 1962 to present/ 42 Years) ____________to ______________/________________________years
WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER TO BE THE BIGGEST SPORTS ACCOMPLISHMENTS WHILE ASSOCIATED WITH ATLANTA
CATEGORIES: (check those that apply to your candidate)
Athlete: ______ Coach: _____ Contributor: _____ Team: _____ Owner: ____ Manager: _______ Reporter/Writer/Journalist: ________ Official/Umpire: ____
Administrator: _____ Event: ____ Other (Please Specify) __________________________
SPORT CLASSIFICATION (check those that apply to your candidate):
Baseball_____ Basketball_____ Football _____Golf ____Tennis _____Track &Field_____ Motor sports _____ Aquatics_____ Hockey______ Soccer______ Equestrian_____ Boxing _____ Multi Sports______
Other sport (please specify) ______________________________
SPORTS ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Please summarize your nominee’s sports career, listing career totals and pertinent statistics that are directly related to the category selected. In organizing your information, list the most significant career accomplishments while associated with Atlanta first and others in descending order. The information may be typed in paragraph form or listed in bullet points. Use only the space available on this form.
SPORTS ACCOMPLISHMENTS (Continued)
NON-ATHLETIC ACCOMPLISHMENTS: (List below any achievements, awards, etc., that speak directly to the nominee’s integrity, sportsmanship and character.)
NON-ATHLETIC ACCOMPLISHMENTS (Continued):
YOU MAY ATTACH UP TO 4 PAGES (8.5” X 11”) OF SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION (i.e., letters of recommendation, articles, statistics, etc.) TO THIS FORM. (Use front of pages only.)
I DO HEREBY CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS ACCURATE.
PRINTED NAME ____________________________SIGNATURE (Sign in Blue Ink) ______________________
DATE_________________________________PHONE NUMBER (S) ____________________________________
ARE YOU ALREADY A MEMBER OR “FRIEND OF THE HALL OF FAME”? YES_____ NO_____
YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO NOMINEE: __________________________________________________________
IS THE NOMINEE AWARE OF YOUR NOMINATION? YES______ NO______
CAN YOU SUPPLY VERIFYING ORGANIZATIONS FOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS LISTED? YES___NO__
The nomination form is not considered complete unless the nominator fills out all of the information above. The nomination form is due to the Hall of Fame by Oct. 27, 2012 for the Class of 2013.
***Please mail original completed nomination and your “Friends of the Hall” sponsor sheet by
Oct 27,, 2012 to:
Atlanta Sports Hall of Fame
3320 Compass Way
Alpharetta, GA 30004
Class of 2013 Nominations Package