COTTAGE BOWL PACKET 11
Written by Duncan Chalmers, Elizabeth Robson Gordon, Izzy Izumi, Max Johnstone, Stuart Macdonald, Nick Penner, Connor Pierotti, Shelby Robert, Olivia Seto, Joe Su, Gennesse Walker-Scace.
Edited by Nick Penner, Joe Su, et al.
1. In one scene in this film, a character gives a speech about combating gentrification in black communities. Another character, Ricky, wants a football scholarship to USC but is murdered in a drive-by shooting. John Singleton became the youngest person ever nominated for a Best Director Oscar with this film. Members of N.W.A. were intended to appear in the film, but the group’s dissolution led to only Ice Cube being cast. For ten points, name this 1991 film set “once upon a time in South Central L.A.” starring Cuba Gooding, Jr.
ANSWER: Boyz N the Hood
2. The book Why Not Me? will be this person’s follow up to their first publication Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). She voiced Taffyta Muttonfudge in Disney’s Wreck-it Ralph, and in another appearance, her character insists that she doesn’t talk trash, she talks smack. This actress wrote the episodes “Hot Girl” and “Diwali” and directed “Michael’s Last Dundies”. For 10 points, name this woman known for playing the Office’s Kelly Kapoor and an Ob/Gyn in her namesake project.
ANSWER: MindyKaling (accept either)
3. This man player made his first team debut with Nacional in the Copa Libertadores, and was later bought by the Dutch side FC Groningen. This player was named captain of Ajax before the 2009-10 season, and in 2011 this man was accused of racially abusing Patrice Evra. In 2014 he transferred to his current club from Liverpool, and he changed his kit number from 7 to 9. At the 2014 World Cup, this man bit Giorgio Chiellini. For 10 points name this Uruguayan striker, currently playing for Barcelona.
ANSWER: Luis Suarez
4. In one film, this actress declares that “in place of a dark lord, you will have a queen,” when offered an item of great power. In the final scene of another film, she is shown talking to herself in San Francisco park. Twice, she has portrayed a character that the Spanish Armada failed to overthrow in 1588. In I’m Not There, she was the only female of the six actors to portray Bob Dylan. For ten points, name this actress who won Academy Awards for playing Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator and the 2013 film Blue Jasmine.
ANSWER: Cate Blanchett
5. While on a trip to Michigan, this character goes on a date to a benefit for a classmate who died. After throwing out their workplace’s garbage in a man’s trashcans, this character ends up sleeping with that man, played by Patrick Wilson. In one episode, this character gets a Q-tip stuck in her ear and is revealed to have Obsessive-compulsive disorder. While attempting to determine the source of her HPV, this character discovers that her college boyfriend is actually gay. For ten points, name this character portrayed by Lena Dunham, the protagonist of the series Girls.
ANSWER: Hannah Horvath
6. First called up in August 2011, in that year’s NLDS this man hit a grand slam in Game 3. In the 2013 All Star game he had the National League’s only extra base hit, and he started in the 2014 All-Star game but went 0 for 3 at the plate. Winner of a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger in 2013, he also hit 36 home runs to tie for the league lead. Due to his resemblance to Steve Rogers, this man got the nickname “America’s First Baseman”. For 10 points name this baseball player, currently a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
ANSWER: Paul Goldschmidt
7. This location stands on the former site of a jazz club called the Melody Room. Tom Petty played the opening of this place at the behest of its then owner, and underground metal bands play here through the Club My War platform. Tom Waits helped design this place’s acoustics and this venue is traditionally closed for two days over Halloween. Two songs from his album American Recordings were taped at a secret Johnny Cash concert here. For 10 points name this Sunset Strip night club, formerly owned by Johnny Depp, where River Phoenix died in 1993.
ANSWER: The Viper Room
8. In The Simpsons episode “Marge on the Lam”, Homer gets both arms stuck in two separate items of this nature. In Sheryl Crow’s “Every Day Is A Winding Road”, she hitched a ride with a man who repairs these items. In Captain America: The Winter Solider, a flash drive is hidden within one of these things, which is located in a hospital. Throughout the BioShock series, upgrades, items, and services can be purchased through these. For 10 points name these devices which mechanically dispense items after currency is inserted.
ANSWER: Vending Machines
9. This man was forced to sit out his first year at Marquette due to low grades. A guard, he missed the last 21 games of the 2008 season due to knee issues, and had surgeries on his shoulder in 2007. He led the league with 30.2 PPG in 2008-09 including scoring 55 points in a win over the Knicks. He won back to back titles in 2012 and 2013 in addition to a 2006 title and was a Third Team All-NBA both years. A 10 time NBA All-Star and the 2006 NBA Finals MVP, name this man who plays with Chris Bosh on the Miami Heat.
ANSWER: Dwayne Wade (accept D-Wade, prompt on Flash)
10. This character is the eldest of three daughters, though her youngest sister died following childbirth. Her grandfather was not well-liked when he moved to New York because he was Jewish and the money was new. At the start of the series, this character was engaged to Patrick but later marries Matthew. Although she is unaware of it throughout the fifth series, this character has another niece named Marigold Gregson. For ten points, name this Downton Abbey character portrayed by Michelle Dockery.
ANSWER: Lady Mary Crawley
11. One character in this movie is a real estate agent trying to sell Lou Ferrigno’s mansion, while another character discusses masturbating with condoms on to avoid making a mess. Two characters in this film bond over the song “Limelight” and attend a Rush concert, while one of those characters takes out a loan to make several over the top billboard ads. Originally title Let’s Be Friends, this movie ends with the marriage of Zooey and Peter, with Peter saying the title phrase to Sydney. For 10 points name this 2009 movie starring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel.
ANSWER: I Love You, Man
12. This song features a coda based on an Irish folk song. This songs singer declares that “The people round here/Wear beaten-down eyes sunk in smoke-dried faces”. The singer earlier stated “Poor old Johnny Ray/ Sounded sad upon the radio”. About the line between love and lust, the chorus declares “You in that dress/ My thoughts I confess/Verge on dirty”. Featuring many key and tempo changes, this song was partly inspired by the song “Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ral”. For 10 points name this song by Dexys Midnight Runners.
ANSWER: “Come On Eileen”
13. Supplementary characters in this work include Tumblebrutus and Bill Bailey, members of the rather large chorus. With musical numbers like “The Moments of Happiness”, the first production of this work featured Brian Blessed. One number in this musical is in 12/8 time and begins by describing how one can “see the dew on the sunflower” during “Daylight”; that number is titled “Memory”. For ten points, name this musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber starring common household pets.
14. This game’s development was announced in April of 1997, with an initial release date one year later. When the Quake II engine was released, George Broussard announced that switching engines would not be a delay for this title. The health bar is replaced for an ego bar in this game, which increases when you do actions such as shoot hoops, lift weights, or admire yourself in the mirror. For 10 points, name this long delayed and poorly received 2011 FPS sequel to its 1996 predecessor, in which you play as Duke Nukem.
15. The best selling song of 2011 in the UK, this Dr. Luke produced song asks “Can we all slow down and enjoy right now?” This song questions “I wonder how they sleep at night/When the sale comes first/And the truth comes second”. The music video for this song features an oversized teddy bear and the singer dressed as a marionette. This song’s chorus declares “We don’t need your money, money, money/we just want to make the world dance”. For 10 points name this song by Jessie J.
ANSWER: “Price Tag”
16. One character in this series is taught a secret code by a homeless drifter but his father refuses to pay for his work. Another character creates jealousy with his coworkers when a short story of his is published in The Atlantic. Two primary characters are stuck late working in their office while a match between Muhammad Ali and Sonny Liston takes place. The third season ends with the creation of a new company known as Sterling Cooper Draper Price. For ten points, name this 1960s set AMC series produced by a non-Virginian Matt Weiner about a group of Madison Avenue ad agency workers, starring Jon Hamm.
ANSWER: Mad Men
17. Harry Cameron recorded the first known one of these achievements in 1920. The all-time leader in this statistic is Brendan Shanahan, with 17, while Jarome Iginla leads active players with 9. A double version of this feat happened in a 2012 game, with Joe Thornton and Ryan Clowe each doing it. The namesake of this achievement only did it twice in his career; the latter included beating up Maple Leafs captain Ted Kennedy. For 10 points name this hockey feat, in which a player records a goal, an assist, and wins a fight, named after a former Red Wings star.
ANSWER: Gordie Howe Hat-Trick (do NOT prompt on Hat Trick)
18. This YouTube channel’s first video was about E3 in 2010, and was hosted by Adam and Jeff from Wacky Gamer. This channel’s name was taken from a random name generator, and this channel uses the font Alsina. Initially focused on gaming, this channel features series such as IMG and Leanback. Recent videos on this channel include “What If The Earth Stopped Spinning”, and its host ends each video by saying “and as always, thanks for watching”. For 10 points name this YouTube channel hosted by Michael Stevens.
19. This band formed in Jacksonville, Florida, and their first album was Three Dollar Bill, Y’all$. On hiatus from 2006 to 2009, this band will release Stampede of the Disco Elephants in 2015. Known for elaborate costumes and body paint, DJ Lethal left this group in 2012. Songs by this band include “Break Stuff” and “Eat You Alive”. This band’s highest selling album was Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water and its top single was “Rollin’”. For 10 points name this Nu-metal band fronted by Fred Durst.
ANSWER: Limp Bizkit
20. In this film, Delia has a cameo in which Samuel explains to her how the weather is affecting the wildlife. Carol’s role as Festival Maiden is passed down to Melody who offers the protagonist a traditional welcome kiss at the beginning of this film. One wise figure keeps guard at the Shamouti Shrine in this film, where Melody goes to play her ocarina after all three treasures have been retrieved. Lawrence III tries to capture the four birds which are fighting in this film. For 10 points, name this film set in the Orange Islands in which Ash Ketchum meets Slowking and Lugia.
ANSWER: Pokémon: The Movie 2000: The Power of One (or Pokemon 2000 or Pocket Monsters the Movie: Revelation Lugia or Gekijōban Poketto Monsutā Maboroshi no Pokemon Rugia Bakutan)
TB. At this location in 1939, Max Baer defeated Lou Nova in the first televised American boxing match. The Pine Tar Incident involving George Brett occurred at this stadium, as did Aaron Boone’s 2003 walk-off home run. This venue hosted 4 All-Star Games; J.D. Drew was the MVP of the final one. Originally intended to be built in Queens, this venue was located in the Bronx. The last home run in this place was hit by Jose Molina, the first was Babe Ruth. For 10 points name this ballpark closed in 2008, former home of a namesake New York City baseball team
ANSWER: Old Yankee Stadium (do not accept New Yankee Stadium)
1. For 10 points each, name some raps and rappers that turned into viral hits:
 GMCFOSHO wrote this viral rap hit, in which he lists why he is better than you. Clever lines in this song include “My carpool has got a slide in it” and “My finger in the sky so much I got arthritis now”.
 This character appears in the webseries The Rap Battle Parodies. An unbeatable man who claims not be a rapper, his fans massively overreact when he drops lines such as “Sike! That’s the wrong number!”
ANSWER: Supa Hot Fire
 This rapper started a 2007 meme with his awkward freestyle “Interior Crocodile Alligator”. A frequent collaborator with Kid Cudi, he guested on “Just What I Am” and released “Under Palm Trees”.
ANSWER: King Chip (accept Chip tha Ripper or Chip da Rip)
2. The central group of this show were imprisoned for a crime they didn’t commit. For 10 points each,
 Name this TV show about a mercenary group helping those in need. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire this show’s titular group.
ANSWER: The A-Team
 On The A-Team, Mr. T played this character. A teetotaler with an intense fear of flying, he is a highly skilled mechanic who angers quickly but often shows compassion to children.
ANSWER: Bosco Albert “BA” Baracus (accept first name, last name, or nickname)
 This man played Hannibal on The A-Team. He had previously played the title role in Banacek, and he was the male lead in the film Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
 Name this actor and comedian. He played Morton in the Jump Street movies and Seth in Superbad.
ANSWER: Jonah Hill
 Hill won his first Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in this film. Hill plays Peter Brand, an economist who becomes the assistant General Manager of the Oakland A’s, aiding Billy Beane.
 Hill voiced this character in 2010’s Megamind. At first a hapless cameraman with unrequited feelings towards Roxie Ritchi, he later becomes a supervillain who desires to rename Metro City in his honour.
ANSWER: Hal Stewart/Tighten (accept either underlined part)
4. For 10 points each, name some things about a certain N64 game.
 This 1997 N64 game was based on a 1995 film starring Pierce Brosnan. This game had multiplayer maps like Complex, Bunker, and Facility, and characters like Jaws and Oddjob.
ANSWER: GoldenEye 007
 In GoldenEye, this weapon detonates whenever a moving object is within range. Other games featuring this iconic weapon include Super Smash Bros. Melee and Terraria.
ANSWER: Proximity Mine (do not accept or prompt on partial answer)
 This studio developed GoldenEye 007 for the N64. Bought in 2002 to be a Microsoft subsidiary, this studio’s independent games included Perfect Dark and Conker’s Bad Fur Day.
ANSWER: Rare Ltd.
5. Members of this group include Brian Jones, Fat Pat, Janis Joplin. For 10 points each:
 Name this group of musicians, who all died at the same age. Many members succumbed to alcohol or drug related causes.
ANSWER: 27 Club (accept Club 27)
 This woman joined the 27 Club in 2011. She wrote songs like “Love Is a Losing Game” and “Stronger Than Me”, but she unfortunately followed her own advice and didn’t go to “Rehab”.
ANSWER: Amy Winehouse
 Richey Edwards, who died at age 27 in 1995, was the lyricist and guitarist for this Welsh alternative band. This band’s singles include “The Masses Against the Classes”.
ANSWER: Manic Street Preachers (accept The Manics or just Manics)
6. Critics of this mascot have deemed him “blatantly and overtly racist”. For 10 points each:
 Name this mascot, the current mascot of the Cleveland Indians. A caricature of a Native American man, his title may also be wrong as he does not have a full headdress traditional of his position, but instead a single feather.
ANSWER: Chief Wahoo (prompt on partial answer)
 A substantially less offensive mascot is this team’s Wally the Green Monster. Partially sharing his name with the left field wall in this team’s Fenway Park, he became this team’s first mascot in 1997.
ANSWER: BostonRed Sox (accept either underlined part)
 While the Yankees do not have a current mascot, they employed this mascot from 1979 to 1981. A bird with pinstripes and a moustache, he was created by Muppet designer Bonnie Erickson to resemble Thurman Munson.
7. This sitcom debuted on ABC in 2014. For 10 points each:
 Name this TV show about an upper class African-American family. Created by Kenya Barris, the main character is married to Dr. Rainbow Johnson, a mixed race woman raised by hippies.
 This comedian plays the central father, “Dre” Johnson, Sr., on Black-ish. He’s also played Bryan on The Bernie Mac Show and Gary on Guys With Kids, and had a namesake sitcom in 2003-2004.
ANSWER: Anthony Anderson
 Yara Shahidi plays this character on Black-ish. The outgoing and popular 15 year old daughter of Dre and Rainbow, this character once quipped “I’m cool, plus I’m black, so I win twice!”
ANSWER: Zoey Johnson (prompt on last name)
8. This beverage was first produced in the Netherlands in the mid-17th century. For 10 points each:
 Name this spirit, popularized in Great Britain by William of Orange. Creating a namesake craze, notable brands of this potent potable include Hendrick’s, Beefeater, and Tanqueray.
 Gin gets its flavour from the berries of this plant. Also used in Sahti beer, sauce made from this berry is traditionally served with quail or pheasant.
ANSWER: Juniper Berry
 Gin is the main ingredient in this beverage, mixed with cherry brandy and a variety of tropical fruit juices. Similar to a Bramble or a Ruby Slipper, this drink was invented Ngiam Tong Boon at the Raffles Hotel.
ANSWER: Singapore Sling 9. This film was the directorial debut of Nicholas Stoller. For 10 points each:
 Name this film about a man taking a trip to forget his ex, only to encounter her in Hawaii. This film had the 2010 spin-off/sequel Get Him to the Greek, also featuring the character Aldous Snow.
ANSWER: Forgetting Sarah Marshall
 This woman played the titular woman in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. She also played Nikki in 2010’s Burlesque, as well as voicing Anna in Frozen.
ANSWER: Kristen Bell
 This man played a fictional version of himself in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, a “tough to love” TV star. His other roles include Joe in Flatliners and Brian in Backdraft, but he’s not as famous as his eldest brother.
ANSWER: Billy Baldwin (prompt on just last name)
10. For 10 points each, name some notably short players in NBA history:
 The shortest man to win the dunk contest, he played his first six seasons for the Atlanta Hawks. A graduate from NC State, this point guard had a career 9.9 PPG average.
ANSWER: Anthony Jerome “Spud” Webb
 The shortest NBA player of all time, Muggsy Bogues, was drafted by this team. Though later a part of the Charlotte Hornets, in 1986-87 he was a teammate of tallest NBA player Manute Bol while on this team.
ANSWER: WashingtonBullets (accept either underlined parts. Do not accept the Washington Wizards)
 The shortest active NBA player is this free agent point guard who was traded from the Nuggets to Celtics in 2015. A 3 time slam dunk contest champion, he’s also spent time with the Knicks and the Bulls.
ANSWER: Nathaniel Cornelius “Nate” Robinson
11. This event took place near Clear Lake, Iowa. For 10 points each:
 Name this notable plane crash, which gets its name from a lyric in Don McLean’s “American Pie”. This event killed musicians such as Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.
ANSWER: The Day the Music Died
 The most famed victim of the plane crash was this rock musician. While he had many backing bands through his career, he worked prominently with The Crickets.
ANSWER: Buddy Holly
 Holly’s final single released prior to his death was this song, where Holly wails that he’s “thrown away my nights/Wasted all my days over you”. This song opens “There you go, and baby here am I”.
ANSWER: “It Doesn’t Matter Any More”
12. This game was designed by Alan R. Moon. For 10 points each:
 Name this railway themed board game, the first in a series. Players draw destinations cards telling them cities to connect, and use railway car cards of matching colours to build lines.
ANSWER: Ticket to Ride
 Ticket to Ride was originally produced by this board game publisher. This publisher’s other games include Pirate’s Cove, Shadows Over Camelot, and Five Tribes.
ANSWER: Days of Wonder
 In 2014, Days of Wonder merged with this French game distributor. This company owns some distribution rights to games like 7 Wonders and Dixit, while publishing their own games like Hanabi and Jungle Speed.
ANSWER: Asmodée Éditions
13. Minor characters on this series include Kurst the Worst and Cornchip Girl. For 10 points each:
 Name this Disney Channel show focused on six students at Third Street Elementary School. Created by Paul and Joe, it depicts an elaborate society that exists exclusively in the school playground.
 Recess was the basis for this 2001 movie. In it, Dr. Phillium Benedict seeks to eliminate summer vacation, but Principal Prickly and TJ Detweiler form an unlikely alliance and foil his plans.
ANSWER: Recess: School’s Out
 This woman served as the fourth grade teacher to the central characters throughout the series. Eccentric yet caring, she is a washed up hippie as well as a karate master.
ANSWER: Miss Alordayne Grotke 14. This golfer is from Holywood, Northern Ireland. For 10 points each:
 Name this golfer, currently the world number 1. He was the 2014 PGA Player of the Year, the 2014 Money Leader, and the winner of the 2014 British Open Championship.
ANSWER: Rory McIlroy
 Besides the 2014 Open Championship, McIlroy won this other 2014 major tournament. McIlroy also won this major in 2012, while other recent winners include Jason Dufner and Keegan Bradley.
ANSWER: PGA Championship
 The 2014 PGA Championship was played at this Louisville, Kentucky course. Also host of the 2008 Ryder Cup, it is known for its 472 yard par 4 17th hole, dubbed “No Mercy”.
ANSWER: Valhalla Golf Club
15. This band’s latest album, Hungry Ghosts, was released in October 2014. For 10 points each:
 Name this band, originally from Chicago. Known for elaborate music videos, their singles include “Here It Goes Again”, “A Million Ways” and “Needing/Getting”.
ANSWER: OK Go
 This OK Go song has the lines “You can’t keep lettin’ it get you down/And you can’t keep draggin’ that dead weight around” This song had two music videos, the latter featuring a massive Rube Goldberg Machine.
ANSWER: “This Too Shall Pass”
 This man is the lead singer of OK Go. Also a member of the supergroup 8in8, he co-found the record label Paracadute.
ANSWER: Damian Kulash
16. Nikki won this show’s recently concluded 18th season. For 10 points each:
 Name this ABC reality series, in which a man must pick a woman to marry from 25 contestants. This show features dramatic ceremonies in which the title figure gives roses to women he feels attracted to.
ANSWER: The Bachelor
 This man was The Bachelor on the show’s 18th season. A former professional soccer player, this Venezuelan-American man has a young daughter named Camila and attracted criticism for calling gay men “perverts”.
ANSWER: Juan PabloGalavis (accept either underlined part)
 This TV personality has served as host for all seasons of The Bachelor. He also hosts Mall Masters on the Game Show Network and has co-hosted the Miss America Pageant since 2011.
ANSWER: Chris Harrison
17. This man tied a career best with 55 assists in 2013-14. For 10 points each:
 Name this NHL defenseman, currently an Assistant Captain for the Chicago Blackhawks. He has won two gold medals playing for Canada, and was an NHL First Team All-Star following the previous season.
ANSWER: Duncan Keith
 Keith won this award following the 2013-14 season. Awarded to the league’s best defenseman, named for an early owner of the Detroit Red Wings, Bobby Orr won 8 of these in his career.
ANSWER: James Norris Memorial Trophy (prompt on partial answer)
 This NHL great was the first winner of the Norris Trophy. An 8 time Stanley Cup champion who played in over 1300 games, this Hall of Famer was the inaugural coach of the Los Angeles Kings.
ANSWER: Red Kelly 18. One character in this film jokes “This is the best bad idea we have, sir.” For 10 points each:
 Name this 2012 movie, based on the true story of rescuing Americans from Tehran during the Iran Hostage Crisis. The film gets its name from the fake film that serves as the cover story in the movie.
 In Argo this man plays fictitious Hollywood executive Lester Siegel. He got an Oscar nomination for the role, as he did for his roles in The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and The Russians Are Coming, the Russians are Coming.
ANSWER: Alan Arkin
 Victor Gaber plays this man in Argo, the real life Canadian ambassador to Iran during the crisis. In the earlier movie Escape from Iran: The Canadian Caper this man was played by Gordon Pinsent.
ANSWER: Ken Taylor 19. For 10 points each, name some frozen foods:
 This foodstuff usually consists of a battered piece of cod, haddock, or pollock. According to South Park, putting these in your mouth makes you a homosexual animal that breathes with gills.
ANSWER: Fishsticks (accept Fish Fingers)
 This brand, now a subsidiary of Nippon Suisan Kaisha, is a prominent producer of fishsticks. Their logo features a weather looking sailor in yellow slickers.
ANSWER: Gorton’s of Gloucester
 Gorton’s also prepares frozen fillets of this fish. The common name for various species of cichlid fish, it is frequently consumed in Southeast Asia, and is traditionally the meat in fish tacos.
ANSWER: Tilapia 20. Minor characters in this film include Eric Christmas as the Priest. For 10 points each:
 Name this 1971 dark comedy, about a young man fascinated by death. He lives with his detached mother, played by Vivian Pickles, attempts to corral him before he falls in love with the titular woman.
ANSWER: Harold and Maude
 This actor played Harold in Harold and Maude. He also starred in the other cult classic Brewster McCloud and played the title role in The Secret Diary of Sigmund Freud.
ANSWER: Bud Cort
 On Harold’s final date in Harold and Maude, his date admires Harold’s knives and swords before Harold commits this action. In Showdown in Little Tokyo, Minako attempts to commit this after being raped.
ANSWER: Seppuku or Harakiri (prompt on descriptions of suicide)