Global History & Geography
--Ellis, E.G. & Esler, A. WORLD HISTORY-CONNECTIONS TO TODAY. Upper Saddle River, NJ. Pearson Edu. Inc. RAZI SCHOOL will purchase this textbook for use. Course: GLOBAL HISTORY AND GEOGRAPHY. School: Razi School. Teacher: Brother Sayyed ‘Abd AL-Mahdi Musawi (B.A. (Guelph, Canada), M.Ed. (GCU/PSU, USA)).
TO THE PARENT: Salaam. Please ensure that your child comes to class prepared with the necessary materials, & textbook. An Atlas is COMPULSORY for Grades 8, 9, 10 and 11 students of the Social Studies Dep't.
1. At least 3 erasers (for 2 Semesters or academic year).
2. A pack of pencils and Pens-especially pens because students are often without pens.
3. A Journal Note book-as mentioned above is required by the New York State Department of Education-NYSDE (please refer to their website). While the NYSDE does not require a grading of the Journal; in my class the Journals get graded at 10 pts per journal per month. If students DO NOT follow the guidelines for the Journals, they will lose points.
4. At least 3 Highlighters (for 2 semesters or the academic year) to highlight notes, worksheets, and to work through past Exam papers and on projects.
5. A notebook for notes in class or a binder with sufficient binder pages, lecture notes, and any required hints for exams (for two semesters so I would suggest a couple of packs of binder papers). I AM STRONGLY RECOMMENDING THIS BECAUSE STUDENTS WILL BE GRADED ON TAKING NOTES: 5% or 30 points given to the TEST areas and/or PROJECTS NOT homework or Journals for Grades 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. Those doing AP Courses are to keep separate notes too but both Honors/AP notes will be counted as ONE set of notesfor 30 pts.
6. Access to a Computer Http://www.edline.net at home or access to the public library computer as required: this is Razi School’s Classroom Website and it is compulsory that students have access to this alone NOT to be online on facebook or chat. PARENTS: Please monitor students when they are online so as to ensure that they are engaged in quality work and research: edline materal can be downloaded to your laptop, desktop or home computer or added to a flashdrive quite easily in Pdf format.
7. At least 2 oak tags (Poster boards) (Suggestion: half size per required 2 oak tags or 1 large oak tag which can be cut two equal parts) for projects: Moslem Day project in October for all GRADES 8 to 12; United Nations Day Project (UN DAY) on 24th of October (only GRADE 9
will be doing this project); International Day or Heritage Day Project in March 6th 2015 for Grades 8 to 12 or individual projects in class such as Model UN Project, Moots, in class Projects, Morning Assembly Projects, or activities during the academic year 2014-2015.
8. A thin folder or section of a binder for Geography Notes, work sheets, map work, geography terminologies, definitions, and another section for Economic notes for ONLY GRADES 8, 9, and 10 Classes only.
9. A small Atlas (often purchased at discount rates but NOT a huge expensive Hardcover Atlas please) for Geography work in class, identifying places in the U.S. and the World specifically for Grades 8, 9, 10, and 11 Classes. Within the first 2 weeks of the class, students
will be checked for their ATLAS, failure to get one, students will lose points. Homework and class work needs to be done using Atlas and materilas mentioned above.
10. A pack of colored pencils or charcoal or markers or any chosen medium for GRADES 8, 9, 10, & 11 for work on projects.
11. A pack of construction paper for Grades 8, 9, 10, and 11.
12. Two packs of reinforcers (if students are using a binder) if not, a strong notebook for notes and hints for exams (yr.). 13. A pack of INDEX CARDS for debates/Class and Morning Assembly Presentations as well as simulations and Moots etc.
Thank you for your cooperation.
High School Social Studies Teacher