Hagley Museum and Library po box 3630 Wilmington, de 19807 (302) 658-2400 Jackson & Sharp Records Drawing and blueprints, 1895-1930



Download 74.65 Kb.
Date conversion01.02.2018
Size74.65 Kb.
Hagley Museum and Library

PO Box 3630

Wilmington, DE 19807

(302) 658-2400
Jackson & Sharp Records
Drawing and blueprints, 1895-1930

Main Author: Jackson and Sharp Company.

Title: Drawing and blueprints, 1895-1930.

Primary Material: Archival/Manuscript Material

Description: 70 items.

History: The Jackson and Sharp Company, a manufacturer of railroad passenger cars, was incorporated in Delaware on February 24, 1869, as the successor to the partnership of Jackson & Sharp.
Job H. Jackson (1833-1901), a tinsmith and mechanic, and Jacob F. Sharp (ca. 1815-1888), an experienced car builder, opened a small car-building shop in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1863. Wilmington was a major center for the manufacture of railroad passenger cars prior to the development of Pullman, Ill., in 1881. After the incorporation, Sharp retired in 1870, and Jackson erected the larger Delaware Car Works at the foot of 8th Street. A shipyard was added in 1875. By the late 1880s the company was turning out about 400 cars per year, as well as streetcars, sash-work and panelling for buildings.
The Jackson and Sharp Company was purchased by the American Car & Foundry Company in 1901. American Car & Foundry, incorporated in New Jersey in 1899, was a typical late 19th century merger of many small car-building companies. The Jackson and Sharp plant was then used primarily for export orders until around 1920. From the end of World War I to 1938, the plant was kept open by building small pleasure boats, and it was devoted to the production of minesweepers during World War II. The plant was closed around 1945. Scope & Content Note: The drawings comprise a miscellaneous collection salvaged from the plant. Most are detail drawings of brake rigging or of parts such as couplers, locks, ventilators and plumbing fixtures. The projects include standard and narrow-gauge railroad cars and streetcars for both foreign and domestic customers. The majority of the projects are for street and interurban railways. Items include the plan for the Seaboard Air Line officers' car "Baltimore", details of a narrow-gauge sleeping car for the Newfoundland Railway, and the return-heating system for Henry M. Flagler's private car.

Access: No restrictions on use.

Unpublished finding aid available at the repository.

Subject(s):


Flagler, Henry Morrison, 1830-1913.
Adams & Westlake Company.
Chicago Railway Equipment Company.
Dayton Manufacturing Company.
Garland Ventilator Company.
National Malleable and Steel Castings Company.
Newfoundland Railway Company.
Safety Car Heating and Lighting Company.
Seaboard Air Line Railway Company.
T.H. Symington Company.
Air-brakes--Drawings.
Car-couplings--Drawings.
Electric railroads--Cars--Equipment and supplies.
Railroads--Brakes--Drawings.
Railroads--Passenger-cars--Drawings.

There are no attachments for this record.

Database: Hagley Museum and Library

Location: SODA HOUSE - Manuscripts & Archives

Call Number or Accession Number: 1030

Status: No information available



Jackson and Sharp Company miscellany, 1909-1946 (photocopies and typescripts).

Main Author: American Car and Foundry Company.

Title: Jackson and Sharp Company miscellany, 1909-1946 (photocopies and typescripts).

Primary Material: Archival/Manuscript

Material Description: 11 items.

History: The Jackson and Sharp Company, a manufacturer of railroad passenger cars, was incorporated in Delaware on February 24, 1869, as the successor to the partnership of Jackson & Sharp.


Job H. Jackson (1833-1901), a tinsmith and mechanic, and Jacob F. Sharp (ca. 1815-1888), an experienced car builder, opened a small car-building shop in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1863. Wilmington was a major center for the manufacture of railroad passenger cars prior to the development of Pullman, Ill., in 1881. After the incorporation, Sharp retired in 1870, and Jackson erected the larger Delaware Car Works at the foot of 8th Street. A shipyard was added in 1875. By the late 1880s the company was turning out about 400 cars per year, as well as streetcars, sash-work and panelling for buildings.

Scope & Content Note: The records include a history of the Wilmington Plant, incorporation papers, and deeds, covering the Jackson and Sharp Company and its acquisition by American Car and Foundry.

Access: Photocopying not permitted.

Subject(s):


American Car and Foundry Company.
Jackson and Sharp Company.
Railroad equipment industry--Delaware.

There are no attachments for this record.

Database: Hagley Museum and Library

Location: SODA HOUSE - Manuscripts & Archives

Call Number or Accession Number: 0275

Status: No information available

Apprenticeship agreement, 1871

Main Author: Jackson and Sharp Company.

Title: Apprenticeship agreement, 1871.

Primary Material: Archival/Manuscript

Material Description: 1 item.

History: The Jackson and Sharp Company, a manufacturer of railroad passenger cars, was incorporated in Delaware on February 24, 1869, as the successor to the partnership of Jackson & Sharp.

Scope & Content Note: Apprenticeship agreement with Henry L. Hainsworth of Wilmington, Del., covering Hainsworth's son John, 1871 March 22.

Subject(s):


Jackson and Sharp Company.
Apprentices--Delaware.
Apprenticeship programs--Delaware.
Railroad equipment industry--Delaware.

There are no attachments for this record.

Database: Hagley Museum and Library

Location: SODA HOUSE - Manuscripts & Archives

Call Number or Accession Number: 1218 (Part)

Status: No information available

Job files, 1898-1904

Main Author: American Car and Foundry Company. Jackson & Sharp Plant.

Title: Job files, 1898-1904.

Primary Material: Archival/Manuscript

Material Description: 0.9 linear ft. Organization: Arranged by contract number.

History: The Jackson and Sharp Company, a manufacturer of railroad passenger cars, was incorporated in Delaware on February 24, 1869, as the successor to the partnership of Jackson & Sharp.


Job H. Jackson (1833-1901), a tinsmith and mechanic, and Jacob F. Sharp (ca. 1815-1888), an experienced car builder, opened a small car-building shop in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1863. Wilmington was a major center for the manufacture of railroad passenger cars prior to the development of Pullman, Ill., in 1881. After the incorporation, Sharp retired in 1870, and Jackson erected the larger Delaware Car Works at the foot of 8th Street. A shipyard was added in 1875. By the late 1880s the company was turning out about 400 cars per year, as well as streetcars, sash-work and panelling for buildings.
The Jackson and Sharp Company was purchased by the American Car & Foundry Company in 1901. American Car & Foundry, incorporated in New Jersey in 1899, was a typical late 19th century merger of many small car-building companies. The Jackson and Sharp plant was then used primarily for export orders until around 1920. From the end of World War I to 1938, the plant was kept open by building small pleasure boats, and it was devoted to the production of minesweepers during World War II. The plant was closed around 1945.

Scope & Content Note: Accession 1382 containa a batch of 40 customer order files from the period 1898-1904 that were salvaged by an individual after the plant closed. Each file contains a specification sheet and notes relating to the order. Some also contain copies of the builder's photograph and blueprint floor plans. The majority of this batch are export orders, mostly for the Caribbean and Latin America.


There are no complete drawing sets or elevation drawings.
There are some photos of the interior of the plant and some additional copy prints of the builder's photos which are maintained and serviced by the Pictorial Collections Department.

Access: No restrictions on use.


Unpublished finding aid available at the repository.

Associated Material:


Company builder's photos and negatives available at: Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs. Bureau of Archives and Records, Hall of Records, Dover, Del. 19901.
Order books and photographs at : Smithsonian Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Washington, D.C.

Subject(s):


American Car and Foundry Company. Jackson & Sharp Plant.
Central Railroad Company of New Jersey.
Chattahoochee Valley Railroad Company.
Compagnie des Chemins de Fer de la Plaine du Cul-de-Sac. (Haiti).
Compañia del Ferrocarril de Guayaquil a Quito.
Cuba Company.
Darien and Western Railroad Company.
Estrada de Ferro de Bragança. (Brazil).
Ferrocarril al Pacífico (Costa Rica).
Ferrocarril de Antioquia.
Ferrocarril de El Oro.
Ferrocarril de Santa Marta. (Colombia).
Ferrocarril Tlacotepec a Huajuapan de Leon.
Ferrocarril Central de Durango (Mexico).
Ferrocarril Cerro de Pasco.
Ferrocarril Mexicano.
Ferrocarril Nacional de Tehuantepec.
Ferrocarril Oaxaca a Ejutla.
Ferrocarril Societa San Juan. (Argentina).
Ferrocarril Unidos de Yucatan.
Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad Company.
Gran Ferrocarril del Táchira.
Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Company.
Jackson and Sharp Company.
Jamaica Government Railway.
Matanzas Railway.
New York, Ontario, and Western Railroad Co.
Norfolk and Southern Railroad Company.
Pittsburgh, Shawmut and Northern Railroad Company.
Portland and Rumford Falls Railway.
Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad.
St. Lawrence and Adirondack Railway Company.
United States Fish Commission.
Wellington and Maniwatu Railway Company, Ltd.
Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway Company.
Railroad equipment industry--Delaware.
Railroads--Brazil.
Railroads--Colombia.
Railroads--Costa Rica.
Railroads--Cuba.
Railroads--Ecuador.
Railroads--Haiti.
Railroads--Jamaica.
Railroads--Mexico.
Railroads--New Zealand.
Railroads--Passenger-cars.
Railroads--Peru.
Railroads--Venezuela.

Other Author(s): Jackson and Sharp Company.



There are no attachments for this record.

Database: Hagley Museum and Library

Location: SODA HOUSE - Manuscripts & Archives

Call Number or Accession Number: 1382

Status: No information available

Checklist of Jackson and Sharp Company photographic collection [microform]
Photos at Delaware Hall of Records

Main Author: Delaware. Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs.

Title: Checklist of Jackson and Sharp Company photographic collection [microform].

Primary Material: Archival/Manuscript

Material Physical Description: Microform Description: 9 microfiche.

History: The Jackson and Sharp Company, a manufacturer of railroad passenger cars, was incorporated in Delaware on February 24, 1869, as the successor to the partnership of Jackson & Sharp.


The Jackson and Sharp Company was purchased by the American Car & Foundry Company in 1901. American Car & Foundry, incorporated in New Jersey in 1899, was a typical late 19th century merger of many small car-building companies. The Jackson and Sharp plant was then used primarily for export orders until around 1920. From the end of World War I to 1938, the plant was kept open by building small pleasure boats, and it was devoted to the production of minesweepers during World War II. The plant was closed around 1945.

Scope & Content Note: The record is a checklist of the company's collection of builder's photographs that was given to the Hall of Records when the company ceased business.

Access: No restrictions on use.

Subject(s):


Jackson and Sharp Company.
Railroad equipment industry--Delaware.
Railroads--Passenger-cars.

There are no attachments for this record.

Database: Hagley Museum and Library

Location: SODA HOUSE - Manuscripts & Archives

Call Number or Accession Number: 1738 (Part)

Status: No information available

Job files, 1898-1905

Main Author: American Car and Foundry Company. Jackson & Sharp Plant.

Title: Job files, 1898-1905.

Primary Material: Archival/Manuscript

Material Description: 2.6 linear ft.

Organization: Arranged by contract number.

History: The Jackson and Sharp Company, a manufacturer of railroad passenger cars, was incorporated in Delaware on February 24, 1869, as the successor to the partnership of Jackson & Sharp.
Job H. Jackson (1833-1901), a tinsmith and mechanic, and Jacob F. Sharp (ca. 1815-1888), an experienced car builder, opened a small car-building shop in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1863. Wilmington was a major center for the manufacture of railroad passenger cars prior to the development of Pullman, Ill., in 1881. After the incorporation, Sharp retired in 1870, and Jackson erected the larger Delaware Car Works at the foot of 8th Street. A shipyard was added in 1875. By the late 1880s the company was turning out about 400 cars per year, as well as streetcars, sash-work and panelling for buildings.
The Jackson and Sharp Company was purchased by the American Car & Foundry Company in 1901. American Car & Foundry, incorporated in New Jersey in 1899, was a typical late 19th century merger of many small car-building companies. The Jackson and Sharp plant was then used primarily for export orders until around 1920. From the end of World War I to 1938, the plant was kept open by building small pleasure boats, and it was devoted to the production of minesweepers during World War II. The plant was closed around 1945.

Scope & Content Note: Accession 1130 contains a total of 75 envelopes of customer order files from the period 1898-1905. Each file contains a specification sheet and notes relating to the order. Some also contain copies of the builder's photograph and blueprint floor plans.


There are no complete drawing sets or elevation drawings.
There are some photos of the interior of the plant and some additional copy prints of the builder's photos which are maintained and serviced by the Pictorial Collections Department.

Access: No restrictions on use.


Unpublished finding aid available at the repository.

Associated Material:


Company builder's photos and negatives available at: Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs. Bureau of Archives and Records, Hall of Records, Dover, Del. 19901.
Order books and photographs at : Smithsonian Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Washington, D.C.

Subject(s):


Allegheny Valley Railway Company.
American Car and Foundry Company. Jackson & Sharp Plant.
Atlantic and Birmingham Railroad Company.
Atlantic City and Suburban Traction Company.
Atlantic City Railroad Company.
Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company.
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company.
Bangor and Aroostook Railroad Company.
Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company.
Boston and Albany Railroad Co.
Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh Railway Company.
Butte, Anaconda, and Pacific Railway Company.
Central Railroad Company of New Jersey.
Central of Georgia Railway Company.
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company.
Chicago Great Western Railway Company (1892-1909).
Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Company.
Coal & Coke Railway Co.
Companhia Mogyana de Estrada de Ferro e Navigação.
Compañia del Ferrocarril de Guayaquil a Quito.
Delaware and Hudson Company.
Denver and Rio Grande Railroad Company.
Des Moines, Iowa Falls and Northern Railway Company.
Erie Railroad Company.
Ferrocarril de Guaqui a La Paz.
Ferrocarril del Norte (Costa Rica).
Florida East Coast Railway.
Georgia, Florida and Alabama Railway Company.
Gulf, Beaumont and Kansas City Railway Company.
Holly River and Addison Railway Company.
Jackson and Sharp Company.
Lehigh Valley Railroad Company.
Long Island Rail Road Company.
Macon, Dublin & Savannah Railroad.
Manhattan Railway Company.
Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Company.
Missouri Pacific Railway Company.
New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company.
New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad Company.
Newburgh, Dutchess and Connecticut Railroad Company.
Pennsylvania Railroad Company.
Philadelphia and Reading Railway Company.
Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad Company.
Pittsburgh, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company.
Pittsburgh, Johnstown, Ebensburg and Eastern Railroad Company.
Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad.
Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Company.
Rutland Railroad Company.
St. Lawrence and Adirondack Railway Company.
Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad.
Schoharie Valley Railway Company.
Seaboard Air Line Railway Company.
Southern Railway (U.S.).
Virginia and Southwestern Railway Company.
Virginia Anthracite Coal and Railway Company.
Wadley and Mount Vernon Railroad Company.
Western New York and Pennsylvania Railway Company.
Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company.
Wrightsville and Tennille Railroad Company.
Railroad equipment industry--Delaware.
Railroads--Brazil.
Railroads--Costa Rica.
Railroads--Ecuador.
Railroads--Passenger-cars.

Other Author(s): Jackson and Sharp Company.



There are no attachments for this record.

Database: Hagley Museum and Library

Location: SODA HOUSE - Manuscripts & Archives

Call Number or Accession Number: 1130 Status:

No information available

Blueprints, 1901-1905

Main Author: Jackson and Sharp Company.

Title: Blueprints, 1901-1905.

Primary Material: Archival/Manuscript

Material Description: 11 items.

History: The Jackson and Sharp Company, a manufacturer of railroad passenger cars, was incorporated in Delaware on February 24, 1869, as the successor to the partnership of Jackson & Sharp.


Job H. Jackson (1833-1901), a tinsmith and mechanic, and Jacob F. Sharp (ca. 1815-1888), an experienced car builder, opened a small car-building shop in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1863. Wilmington was a major center for the manufacture of railroad passenger cars prior to the development of Pullman, Ill., in 1881. After the incorporation, Sharp retired in 1870, and Jackson erected the larger Delaware Car Works at the foot of 8th Street. A shipyard was added in 1875. By the late 1880s the company was turning out about 400 cars per year, as well as streetcars, sash-work and panelling for buildings.
The Jackson and Sharp Company was purchased by the American Car & Foundry Company in 1901. American Car & Foundry, incorporated in New Jersey in 1899, was a typical late 19th century merger of many small car-building companies. The Jackson and Sharp plant was then used primarily for export orders until around 1920. From the end of World War I to 1938, the plant was kept open by building small pleasure boats, and it was devoted to the production of minesweepers during World War II. The plant was closed around 1945.

Scope & Content Note: Accession 1939 consists of blueprint floor plans for 11 cars built between 1901 and 1905, primarily for narrow gauge lines in Maine.


Combine built for Philadelphia & Easton;
Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington nos. 5 & 6;
Sandy River parlor car "Rangely" no. 9;
Bridgeton & Saco River baggage-mail car no. 9 (later no. 30);
Franklin & Megantic combine no. 3/Sandy River & Rangely Lakes no. 14;
Wiscasset & Quebec coach no. 1;
Franklin & Megantic coach no. 2,
Sandy River no. 8, and
SR&RL nos. 21-22.
There are no complete drawing sets or elevation drawings.

Access: No restrictions on use.


Unpublished finding aid available at the repository.

Associated Material: Company builder's photos and negatives available at: Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs. Bureau of Archives and Records, Hall of Records, Dover, Del. 19901.

Subject(s):
Bridgeton and Saco River Railroad Company.
Franklin and Megantic Railroad Company.
Jackson and Sharp Company.
Philadelphia and Easton Electric Railway Company.
Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad.
Wiscasset and Quebec Railroad Company.
Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway Company.
Railroad equipment industry.
Railroads--Passenger-cars.

There are no attachments for this record.

Database: Hagley Museum and Library

Location: SODA HOUSE - Manuscripts & Archives

Call Number or Accession Number: 1939 Status:

No information available

American Car and Foundry Company World War II era photographs

Title: American Car and Foundry Company World War II era photographs.

Primary Material: Visual Material

Publisher: 1943-1944.

Description: 15 photographic prints : b&w ; 8 x 10 in. or smaller.
1 item (medal).

History: American Car & Foundry Company purchased the Jackson and Sharp Company of Wilmington, Delaware, in 1901. From the end of World War One to 1938, the plant built small pleasure boats. During World War Two, its production was devoted to building landing barges, LCM tank lighters, aluminum pontons, plywood smoke barges for the American forces and YMS minesweepers for the British Navy. The plant was closed around 1945.

Scope & Content Note: These photographs document different activities at the American Car & Foundry Company shipyard in Wilmington, Delaware, during World War Two. There are several photos taken on the occasion of the presentation of the Army-Navy "E" award (1942). Images show ship launchings, shipbuilding, BYMS British motor minesweepers, an undated bird's eye view of the A.C.F. plant, and caricatures of A.C.F. draftsman, Robert C. Martin. There are magazine clippings of three A.C.F. advertisements showing landing craft (one was published in The Marine News, April 1943) and a few other clippings. The collection includes a small medal with the words, "War Service Ship Building," and the image of a ship.

Access: No restrictions on access.


Reproduction permitted.

Associated Material: Images of American Car and Foundry's World War Two business found in The Armed Forces of A.C.F, HM&L Imprints collection: HD999 R24 A5.

Subject(s):
American Car and Foundry Company.
American Car and Foundry Company--Employees.
American Car and Foundry Company--Miscellanea.
USS Swivel ARS 36 (Ship)
Shipbuilding--United States.
War rallies--Delaware--Wilmington.
World War, 1939-1945--War work.
World War, 1939-1945--Equipment and supplies.
Bird's-eye view prints--Delaware--Wilmington.
Clippings.

Other Author(s): Sanborn Studio,



There are no attachments for this record.

Database: Hagley Museum and Library

Location: LIBRARY - Pictorial Collections Department

Call Number or Accession Number: 93.257

Shelving Location: 1993 GL Box 1

Status: Not Charged



Across the continent : excursion from Wilmington, Del., to San Francisco, Cal., October 6, 1869 : in Silver Palace sleeping cars built by Jackson & Sharp for Central Pacific Railroad

Title: Across the continent : excursion from Wilmington, Del., to San Francisco, Cal., October 6, 1869 : in Silver Palace sleeping cars built by Jackson & Sharp for Central Pacific Railroad.

Primary Material: Book

Publisher: Salt Lake City : Telegraph job print., 1869.

Description: 1 broadside ; 22 x 14 cm. Notes:

Dated: October 12, 1869.



There are no attachments for this record.

Database: Hagley Museum and Library

Location: BSIDE

Call Number or Accession Number: No call number available



Status: Not Charged - Library has: c.1



The database is protected by copyright ©ininet.org 2016
send message

    Main page