|Intro to a Marine/Aquatic Ecosystem, Communities and Ecology
Any answers you don’t know, you must look up in book using the index!
1. What famous reef is Nemo taken from?
2. Tentacles of anemones are poisonous for any fish. How can the clownfish live among them?
3. Anemones and clownfish have what is called a symbiotic relationship. What does that mean? What does an anemone do for a clownfish? What does a clownfish do for the anemone?
4. Dory is a blue tang, which belongs to the surgeonfish family. Why are they called surgeonfish?
5. How long can Loggerhead turtles can stay underwater while resting? While actively awake?
6. How far can loggerhead turtles travel in their migration?
7. Why are predators particularly active at dusk?
8. What is the difference between a diurnal animal, a nocturnal animal, and a crepuscular animal?
9. Describe three symbiotic relationships between animals on a coral reef.
10. In the struggle between predator and prey is it always important for the individual prey to survive? Explain your reasoning.
11. Name 3 things that are negatively affecting the coral reef.
12. Is coral a plant or animal? Name phylum! Look it up in your book!
13. How long does it take a coral to grow into a coral reef?
14. Name two examples of reef fish that use camouflage as a survival technique.
15. How do sponges eat?
16. How do starfish eat?
17. What happens if a fish eats an arm off of a starfish?
8. What type of relationship do sharks typically have with fish? (Bruce is obviously scientifically misguided)
19. Explain the reproductive method of coral.
20. The following ingredients come from seaweed: carrageenan, alginate, beta carotene (good for the eyes). Can you guess two foods in your house with each of these ingredients?
21. Most of Finding Nemo takes place in an ecosystem that is aquatic. What does aquatic mean?