CCR English 10. Mr. Braam
Name: _____________________________________________________ Bell:_______
Directions: For each sentence underline the portion of the sentence that is the CLAIM. The claim may come at the beginning, end or middle of the sentence, or may be the entire sentence. Be prepared to defend your choice.
1. Twinkies taste better than other snack cakes because of their fluffy texture, their creamy filling, and their golden appearance.
2. Dance music has become popular for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the music; rather, the clear, fast beats respond to the need of people on amphetamines to move, and to move quickly.
3. Virginia Woolf is a more effective writer than James Joyce because she does not rely on elaborate language devices that ultimately confuse and alienate the reader.
4. The governor has continually done the community a disservice by mishandling money, focusing on frivolous causes, and failing to listen to his constituents.
5. Capital punishment is unjust because capital punishment strips a human’s right to life.
6. The government should strive for equality because the Declaration of Independence says all humans should be equal.
7. I can’t go home because I don’t have a car.
8. The sky is blue because of refracted light from the atmosphere.
9. Keeping the door closed will keep out the sound from the train because of the wood’s ability to absorb sound waves.
10. People going to debate camp will compete better than people who didn’t go to debate camp.
11. People should donate money to the poor in order to decrease the poverty level.
12. In order to prevent the spread of deadly diseases, people should be tested for sexually transmitted diseases annually.
13. Santa Claus is real because I have seen him.
14. To show unity, all houses in a neighborhood should be painted a uniform color.
15. Al Gore invented the Internet because he said so during a debate.
16. I can get away with doing less work because I have talent.
17. I have to study because I have the ACT test coming.
18. Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares because the master has gone away.
19. Close the window; outside smells.
20. I didn’t get my homework done because my dog ate my homework.
21. The United States’ increasing aid to Sub-Saharan African countries will increase credibility for the United States to foreign governments.