South australian school of art advisory committee

Download 25.08 Kb.
Date conversion14.07.2017
Size25.08 Kb.



Brief notes and actions from the meeting

12 September 2006 from 4:00pm in K3-25, Kaurna Building City West campus

1. Present
Mr Matthew Remphrey (Chair) Dr Jenny Aland

Ms Anne Robertson Ms Jane Cameron

Mr Melentie Pandilovski Mr John Neylon

Mr Christopher Menz Prof Kay Lawrence

In attendance
Mr Julian Eitzen (Executive Officer)
2. Apologies
Ms Julianne Pierce Prof Michael Rowan
Matt welcomed new member John Neylon and invited all to briefly introduce themselves. He acknowledged this meeting as his first as Chair of the Committee and tabled the Advisory Structures Policy document (A-38.6). Matt indicated that he was keen for the members to have a common understanding of the purpose of the Committee so as to maximise the value they could individually add to its function.
Kay advised that the Committee would normally meet twice each year with standing agenda items:

  • Review (of previous year) for the first meeting

  • School Plan (strategic plan projecting 3 years) for the second meeting

She acknowledged that the School’s operating environment was (constantly) rapidly changing and emphasised the importance of members’ and stakeholder feedback on the School’s operations and directions in informing the Committee’s agenda.
Kay indicated that the School’s current focus was on the following three areas

  1. Research – building research capacity and focusing research development to prepare for the new Research Quality Framework (RQF). The RQF counts measures of quality and impact of research and, will recognise art and design outcomes as research which is positive news for the creative arts sector

  1. Teaching Quality – In 2005 the Learning and Teaching Performance Fund was introduced and universities were ranked according to their aggregate score achieved in an array of teaching and learning performance measures. The University identified a strong correlation between the quality of course assessment processes and the level of student satisfaction. The School has undertaken a systematic approach to improving assessment practices in order to improve the quality of its teaching.

  1. Demographic shift in SA – the School is developing strategies to mitigate against the decline predicted within the next ten years in school leaver numbers.

Kay suggested that the Committee meetings should provide opportunity for the exchange of contextual information between members and the School to assist the School’s positioning, and to alert the School to opportunities and developments as they arise.

John queried how members could make more immediate contributions to the Committee. Jenny suggested establishing a SASA Advisory Committee Blog site.
ACTION: Kay to investigate establishing a SASA Advisory Committee Blog site.
Kay advised that this was the School’s sesquicentennial year (150 years) and that celebratory activities were in planning.
3. Minutes
The minutes of the previous meeting held on 11 April 2006 were approved subject to the following amendments:

  • Re item 5.1: delete the Fiona Hall sentence. Jenny noted that both the “Studies in Visual Culture” report and the “Visual Arts Review” should be available for consultation, and undertook to obtain copies.

  • Re item 5.4: webTV should read web3D in all cases.

4. Business arising
4.1 Student and graduate profiles on School web site
Kay advised that student profiles were currently available on the School web site and that it had been agreed to include graduate profiles on the site. It was noted that by showing graduate profiles viewers would not only be alerted to individual success stories, but also made more aware of the diversity of opportunities arising from the School’s programs.
Kay indicated that the School would build a profile of graduates and requested members to forward suggestions of graduates, with contact details, that they feel would make good additions to the graduate profile. It was suggested that (more) links could be included on the web site. Kay welcomed advice and further suggestions on the School web site.
Several members queried how the School’s Newsletter SASA Arts was distributed.
ACTION: School to update the “SASA Arts” distribution list with the current Advisory Committee contact details, Julian to forward the Advisory Committee contact list.
It was suggested that both RMIT and Swinburne University had developed some interesting initiatives in Graphic Design that might be useful for the School to look at. Kay acknowledged that the Graphic Design Internship model had received favourable response from the Program Director, but was yet to be enacted.
In 2007 the School will review the two Honours programs in Visual Art and Design to distinguish them from the course work Graduate Diploma and Masters degrees in Visual Art and Design in order to provide two distinct postgraduate pathways for students wishing to undertake higher studies. One pathway would be focused on professional practice and lead to the coursework postgraduate program, the Graduate Diploma and Master of Visual Art and Design Specialisation. Students taking the other pathway would complete Honours in order to undertake a research degree at either Masters or PhD level. Matt indicated that good quality Design research journals had emerged in the USA and UK that could be helpful in the research pathway.
Jenny noted that Visual Communication programs were very strong in Victoria, particularly University of Melbourne, and indicated that she would endeavour to find more information to report back to the Committee.
4.2 Joint school response to the Creative Industry Report
Kay advised that in response to the above Report four University schools had agreed to cooperate on the development of the Centre for Creative Technology. The schools:

would draw on their expertise under the leadership of Professor Kerry Green (Head of School of Communication) to develop the Centre. A draft Centre for Creative Technology document was in circulation for consultation and it was anticipated that the Centre would open in 2008. A feature of the Centre’s development would be to offer postgraduate degrees in partnerships with industry.
Jenny noted that the School of the Future had been developed with support of industry partnership arrangement. She suggested that there might already be a similar creative venture in operation and noted that John McCormack was a valuable contact in the field of Computer Arts.
4.3 Web3D workshop proposal
Melentie reported that the project had gone ahead and had attracted a diverse group of around a dozen participants including Mr Mark Kimber and Ms Olga Sankey from SASA. He noted that feedback from the workshop had been excellent and invited members to view the web site: and:
4.4 City West Arts precinct Education Officer discussions
Kay confirmed that the gallery space in the landmark City West building currently under construction would be named the Anne and Gordon Samstag Art Museum. She noted that the recent Review of the Art Museum had been completed and was proceeding through University approval processes. Kay indicated that the development of an education strategy, and a structure to enable good communication between the galleries at City West has been recommended.
John endorsed the concept of having an agency/person to guide students and visitors to access events in the precinct. Jenny noted that some galleries had amazing web sites, suggesting Tate as an example. She tabled the ExpAnd Newsletter - #11 September 2006.

5 Members’ issues
Melentie noted that he had previously mentioned the Planetary Collegium but had not received responses. He reiterated that he believed the project represented a wonderful opportunity and suggested that the School should try to find a way of getting involved with it.
ACTION: Melentie to forward the email regarding The Planetary Collegium meeting in 2008.
6 New business
6.1 School Strategic Plan
Kay invited members to comment on the Plan. Matt queried how the School found information on graduate employment outcomes. Kay advised that the primary source was the Graduate Course Experience Questionnaire (GCEQ). She noted that the survey was not particularly suited to the Art and Design sector and that the School’s two areas of Visual Art and Visual Communication were quite different in terms of graduate employment outcomes. The School has been encouraging students to develop broad understandings of their capabilities and their employment options and to recognise that their own practices as designers and artists are a form of self-employment. The creative arts sector traditionally has low employment outcomes and the School has set a target related to the national average – 53%.
Matt endorsed the proposed development of the Bachelor of Media Arts/Bachelor of Visual Communication with the School of Communication suggesting that it would provide students with broadened perspectives. He queried whether the School could offer individual courses rather than full degrees, or if short courses for professionals were available. Kay acknowledged the School’s desire to develop Professional Development courses, but was not sure what courses would be viable to proceed with. Christopher encouraged the development of high quality fee paying professional courses based on solid market research. Jenny suggested that ‘baby boomers’ could provide a market for courses. John suggested courses that focus on industry contemporary practices. Kay indicated that she would consider establishing a working party for short course options.
Offering the Idea Generation Methods course in the School of Education was endorsed and the School was encouraged to develop the ‘creative thinking perspectives’ course for application across the University. Melentie queried whether there might be potential for courses for curators. John suggested there was potential for audience development for courses around industry practice. He also suggested there was a gap in understanding in Art Education around finding the right level at which to pitch the subject matter to audiences. There might be potential for inclusion of ‘art writing’ courses in a Master program. This could include studies in the scholarship of Visual Education such as ethical approaches to Graphic Design and the communication nexus with Graphic Design. Matt recommended the AGDA research library for sources on ethical issues.
The meeting closed at 6:00pm.
7. Next meeting
The next meeting is to be advised in 2007.

JKE/ART 2/06

The database is protected by copyright © 2016
send message

    Main page