|2010 Neil Patrick Harris Open: Pikachu’s Sweet Sweet Revenge
All Questions written by South Range(Brian Bishop, Kyle Dickey, Jarret Greene, Nikki Miller, John Sheffler, Brett Stoll) with contributions by Jonathan Graham and Bob Kilner
Edited by Jarret Greene
1) This item has been named the official food of the Canadian Football League. From April to May of 2009, special scratch tickets shaped like bacon were given out with each purchase of these.(*) Those scratch numbers could be used to win a chance to compete in a halftime Canadian Football League contest to build a giant one of these items. A later commercial featuring this item saw a man and a woman eating together, both aspiring to be “meatetarians.” FTP, name this monstrous burger from Wendy’s, whose name is a play on the word “Terminator.”
ANSWER: Baconator (Prompt on “Giant Bacon Burger”)
BONUS: Wendy’s is by far the best fast food eatery, in the opinion of this question writer. FTPE, name these other Wendy’s products.
A common practice with this soft-serve dessert is to dip those less-than-spectacular Wendy’s French fries into them.
These are Wendy’s’ new variations on their original chicken nuggets.
ANSWER: Spicy chicken nuggets
This is Wendy’s’ $1.50 version of the double cheeseburger.
ANSWER: Double Stack
2) Although they are not a religious band, the vocalist for this band’s stage name was a reference to the story of Cain and Abel. When the band members were just 18, they released their debut album, Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. After experimenting with bassists, the band settled on Johnny Christ(*) and released the album Waking the Fallen in 2003. In 2004, the band went on tour with the Vans Warped Tour and recorded a video for their song “Unholy Confessions,” which became part of MTV2’s Headbanger’s Ball. In December of 2009, the band’s drummer, James “The Rev” Sullivan was found dead in his apartment. FTP, name this hard rock band behind singles such as “Bat Country” and “Afterlife.”
ANSWER: Avenged Sevenfold
BONUS: FTPE, name these other bands that appeared on the 2004 Vans Warped Tour.
This band behind the singles “Welcome Home” and “A Favor House Atlantic” appeared on the tour.
ANSWER: Coheed and Cambria
In addition to appearing on the Warped Tour, this band behind the singles “My Curse” and “The Arms of Sorrow” appeared on MTV2’s Headbanger’s Ball in 2003.
ANSWER: Killswitch Engage
Hayley Williams fronts this rock band, whose singles include “Misery Business” and “Crushcrushcrush.”
3) It was originally founded as a “New Sodom” and it was the first town in America with an Aquacar factory, allowing its streets to temporarily be paved with gold. Neighborhoods of it include Ethnictown, Junkyville, Waverly Hills, and the flammable district.(*) Some of this town’s tourist attractions include the world’s largest cubic zirconium, the Cathedral of the Downtown, Herman’s Military Antiques and the towns only 2-star luxury resort, Rancho Relaxo. Home to a tire fire that has been burning since 1989, FTP, name this city which includes Evergreen Terrace, where the Simpson family lives.
BONUS: FTPE, name these fictional towns from television.
This pre-historic city is located in Cobblestone County. Some of its residents are Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble.
This 31st century city was built on the ruins of a Manhattan city and is the residence of Philip K. Fry and a robot named Bender.
ANSWER: New New York
It’s located in Massachusetts and it includes such locales as The Icehouse bar and Leery’s Fresh Fish. It’s also the hometown of Dawson Leery.
4) The final shot of this film shows a photograph of the main character at the place he had been working at during the course of the film. An elderly cook guides Danny Torrance(*) until he is axed in the chest by Danny’s father. Before leaving the hotel for the winter, the cook telepathically tells Danny to make sure that he stays out of Room 237. Later in the film, Danny is seen writing REDRUM in blood on the wall. FTP, name this film where Jack Nicholson plays a cabin-fever stricken caretaker at the Overlook Hotel, the film version of a famous Stephen King novel.
ANSWER: The Shining
BONUS: Jack Nicholson is an awesome actor and has appeared in some equally awesome movies. FTPE, name these films starring Jack Nicholson.
Jack Nicholson co-stars with Morgan Freeman in this film about two terminally ill men trying to live out their wildest fantasies before dying.
ANSWER: The Bucket List
[10Jack Nicholson is part of an ensemble cast featuring stars like Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg in this Irish crime film.
ANSWER: The Departed
Jack Nicholson stars with Adam Sandler in this comedy film about a therapist who moves in with his emotionally-troubled patient.
ANSWER: Anger Management
5) Originally a “complete afterthought”, multiplayer mode was only added after this game’s release.There is no melee weapon found throughout the game, but there is a multiplayer setting known as “Slappers(*) Only!” Five multiplayer levels in this game aren’t featured in single player, including Temple and Complex, with a grand total of 33 characters being unlocked throughout the game. Agent, Secret Agent and 00 (“Double Oh”) Agent are difficulty settings in, FTP, what James Bond game for the Nintendo 64.
ANSWER: Goldeneye: 007
BONUS: For 10 points each, name these multiplayer modes featured in Goldeneye with similar movie names and that movie’s villain: (NOTE TO READER: Do not accept answers such as Capture the Flag, etc.)  In this game mode, a single golden gun is placed at a fixed spot on the map. The villain in this movie is Scaramanga.
ANSWER: The Man with the Golden Gun
 Players must capture the flag, or token and hold it for a fixed period of time. This movie’s villain is Georgi Koskov.
ANSWER: You Only Live Twice
All attacks in this game mode are one hit kills, including “slapping.” The villain is Renard.
ANSWER: License to Kill
6) This player struck out just once in all of high school, hit .605 his senior year and was voted the best hitter in the 2000 World Junior Baseball Championships, a competition at which he .595. He turned down a scholarship to Florida State to enter the 2001 MLB Amateur Draft, and was selected first overall by his hometown(*) team, above the #1 consensus prospect Mark Prior. More recently, he has appeared in an ad where he flashes a picture of himself in Mexico along with the CEO of PlayStation in a Speedo. The 3-time reigning batting champion and 2-time reigning Gold Glove winner at his position, for ten points, identify this catcher for the Minnesota Twins.
ANSWER: (Joe) Mauer
BONUS: Identify these other players drafted in the 2001 Amateur Draft, for ten points each.
 Drafted with the 36th overall pick out of Don Bosco Technical Institute in California was this second baseman, who is currently out of baseball but last played for the Red Sox, the original team of his brother Nomar.
ANSWER: (Michael) Garciaparra
 One of the other successful players in the draft of 2001 was this 1st baseman, drafted 38th overall by the team he currently starts for, the Mets.
ANSWER: (David) Wright
 Drafted 5th overall by the Rangers was this 3rd baseman out of Georgia Tech. He has since spent time in Atlanta and Anaheim before signing an 8-year, $180 million dollar contract with the Yankees in 2009.
ANSWER: (Mark) Teixeira
7) Two new characters for this franchise were revealed on February 10, 2010. Those two new characters, Zorua and Zoroark, are slated to appear in this franchise’s thirteenth movie, Ruler of Illusions: Zoroark. Other, better known characters from this franchise, such as Dawn and her (*) Piplup will also be featured. The latest games from this franchise have box art featuring Dialga, Palkia, Girantina, Lugia, and Ho-oh. FTP, name this franchise created by Satoshi Tajiri, which features such characters as Pikachu and Seaking.
ANSWER: Pokémon (do not accept Pokémans, prompt on Pocket Monsters or Capsule Monsters)
BONUS: This question writer loves Pokémon. Having said that, FTPE, name some other important things that happened on February 10th that have nothing to do with them.
On February 10, 1870 this organization was founded. It’s like the YMCA, but for girls.
On February 10, 1996 this IBM supercomputer defeats Garry Kasparov in a game of chess. I for one welcome our new robot overlords.
ANSWER: Deep Blue
On February 10, 1942 a Japanese submarine bombarded Midway Atoll in this conflict. Three years later, the USA set Japan up the bomb by nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
ANSWER: World War II
8) The BBC ran a popular children’s series in the 70s based on one of these entitled Bagpuss, a quote “old, saggy cloth cat, baggy, and a bit loose at the seams.” FreeWebArcade.com has a game featuring an avalanche of the material versions of these trying to avoid being hitting by falling needles. A museum in Britain has the oldest one of these children’s toys that dates to 300 B.C(*), while Aerosmith has a song titled this with the following line “Daddy’s little cutie”. Usually a little girl’s favorite toy, FTP, name this type of doll that is made of material and has a famous one name “Raggedy Ann”
ANSWER: Rag Doll
BONUS: Raggedy Ann isn’t the only doll that’s well known. FTPE, name these other dolls that sold well.
These dolls have 8 namesake stores nationwide including New York and Chicago and are found in little girl’s arms all over America. They usually cost over $100 each.
ANSWER: American Girl
If this doll were real, she would be 6 feet tall, 100 pounds and would wear a size 4. She also would be so top-heavy her back would give out.
These dolls were released in 2001 with no feet, skinny bodies and rather large heads. The original four included Chloe, Yasmin, Sasha, and Jade.
9) Frisbee-tarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up and gets stuck on the roof, and “Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time,”(*) are sayings coined by this man, who once played a cameo role in The Simpsons episode “Doh-in in the Wind” as Munchie. “Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity,” and a god-like love for Joe Pesci were made famous by for ten points what comedian most famous for his “Seven Dirty Words you can’t say on television” bit?
ANSWER: George Carlin
BONUS: FTPE, Debuting the same year as Goodfellas, name this other Pesci movie that..
Portrayed Pesci as the character Harry who tried, unsuccessfully, to rob Kevin McCallister’s house when he was in the predicament the title foreshadow’s.
ANSWER: Home Alone
Kevin McCallister was played by this actor also known for his lead role in “Richie Rich”
ANSWER: Macaully Culkin
Even though he only had a cameo role in “Home Alone” as the leader of a brass band, this actor starred in movies such as “Spaceballs” and “Planes, Trains, and Automobile.”
ANSWER: John Candy
10) This character was conceived when the actor who portrays him heard the song “The Look of Love” on his radio and wondered “Where have all the swingers gone?” In the first movie starring this character he is portrayed in one scene flying in a tie-dye(*) airplane, while in the second film he is seen driving a Jaguar convertible painted up like the Union Jack, his so-called Shaguar(Like Jaguar with “shag”) His father, Nigel, owns a 2001 Mini with a license plate reading “GR8SHAG” (Great Shag with an 8 in Great). FTP, name this so-called, “International Man of Mystery.”
ANSWER: Austin Powers
BONUS: Dr. Evil has the craziest plans in the Austin Powers films. FTPE, name these things associated with Dr. Evil plans.
When Dr. Evil says that he will turn the moon into this structure, Scott Evil laughs at him and calls him “Darth.”
ANSWER: Death Star
Throughout all of the films, Dr. Evil wants these entities with a certain something on their foreheads, which Scott gives to him as a gift in Goldmember.
ANSWER: Sharks with Lasers attached to their foreheads (Accept clear-knowledge equivalents. Prompt on Sharks)
In Goldmember, Dr. Evil plots to build a tractor beam with this codename.
ANSWER: Preparation H
11) The intro to this song can be heard in the beginning of Dani California by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and former Dead Kennedys drummer D.H. Peligro was recently nominated for a Grammy for his punk cover of it.(*) This song was supposedly written in the dressing room of Upper Cut Club on Boxing Day, 1966, made its first debut on the album Are You Experienced in 1967. The writer of this song claims that it was a description of a dream he had in which he walked on the bottom of a sea floor. So for 10 points name this song that exclaims “‘Scuze me while I kiss the sky,” by Jimi Hendrix.
ANSWER: Purple Haze
BONUS: Here’s a bonus that you never would have dreamed of hearing, pencil and paper ready! For ten points each, draw the respective shape of… (MESSAGE TO READER: use best judgment)
Now for a harder one, Ms. Pac-Man.
ANSWER: (sans pixels, be lenient)
One of The Ghosts from Pac-Man
ANSWER: (Any one will suffice)
12) Lesser known products of this school include NFL Europe superstar quarterback Brock Berlin, former Packers Tight End Bubba Franks, and former Broncos and current Texans Center Chris Meyers. Better known alums include a man who was accused of dogging the 2002 Fiesta(*) Bowl so that he didn’t get hurt, the NFL record holder for most kick return touchdowns in a season, and the Super Bowl XXXV MVP. FTP, name this college which produced such players as Willis McGahee, Devin Hester and Ray Lewis, also called “The U.”
ANSWER: University of Miami(FL)
BONUS: Speaking of Devin Hester, a lot of NFL records sure have been broken lately. Name some stuff about them, For 10 points each.
This controversial wide receiver surpassed Jerry Rice’s record for most touchdown catches in a season with 23, even though he played 4 more games than Jerry did when he set the record.
ANSWER: Randy Moss
This running back set the NFL record for most total touchdowns in a season with 31 in 2007, breaking the record set two years earlier by Shaun Alexander.
ANSWER: LaDanian Tomlinson (Accept L.T.)
In the 2009 season, Peyton Manning passed this Quarterback for 5th most passing TDs in NFL history. He is perhaps best known for being the winning quarterback in “The Greatest Game Ever Played” in 1958.
ANSWER: Johnny Unitas
13) According to GameSpy, this game is the most played Half-Life modification to date. Created by “Gooseman” and “Cliffe,” it has had four sequels, a lesser known one being called “Condition Zero.” The beginning of each round consists of a “freeze time” in which players can’t move but can buy weapons, which are determined by a dynamic pricing system. This game also popularized wall hacks and aim bots along with the “source” version popularizing the phrase “Boom. Headshot.” FTP name this game in which one plays as either the terrorists or counter-terrorists.
ANSWER: Counter Strike
BONUS: FTPE name these other video games featuring terrorism
This tactical shooter for the playstation was released in 1998 and the game featured the player having to frabricate their entire plan before it is put in action.
ANSWER: Rainbow six
Vladimir Makarov is a terrorist being hunted down by PFC Joseph Allen, Captain John “Soap” MacTavich and Sergent Gary “Roach” Sanderson in this huge infinity ward hit.
ANSWER: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
With classes like Rifleman, Support, Demolitions and Sniper, it was originally relesed in Novermber 2001. It involves using tactical commands to move your squad with you.
ANSWER: Ghost Recon
14) Scandal erupted after the filming of the seventh season of this show when one of its main actors stated that he would not be returning, because CBS’ offer of one million dollars per show was “too low.” Some minor characters include Ryan Stiles(*) as Dr. Herb Melnick, Holland Taylor as Evelyn Harper, and Conchata Ferrell as the maid Berta. FTP, name this television show featuring Jon Cryer as the twice-divorced Alan Harper and Charlie Sheen as the lady’s man Charlie Harper, both of whom are trying to raise Alan’s son, Jake.
ANSWER: Two and a Half Men
BONUS: Hate him or love him, Charlie Sheen somehow still has a career. FTPE;
Charlie Sheen played Matt Eckhert in this 1984 movie. It’s probably better known for featuring C. Thomas Howell yelling, “WOLVERINES!”
ANSWER: Red Dawn
Sheen’s played rolls in Wall Street and Platoon, both movies directed by this man. Sheen was also approached to star in his Born on the Fourth of July, but was later replaced by Tom Cruise.
ANSWER: Oliver Stone
Sheen, along side Michael Jordan, appears in ads for this clothing company, often making a fool out of himself in the process.
15) In 2005 BoingBoing.net offered $1,000,000 if anyone could provide empirical evidence that Jesus was not His son and in 2008 a statue of Him was placed in front of Crossville, Tennessee’s courthouse. (*) His gospel was published by Villard in 2006, and tells the tale of Captain Mosey and He promises that, “if you don’t like us, your old religion will most likely take you back.” That gospel also claims that gravity is actually His Noodly Appendage pushing down on us. FTP, name this deity created by Bobby Henderson and who’s chosen people are pirates.
ANSWER: The Flying Spaghetti Monster
BONUS: Assume that the writer of this question is a Pastafarian and worships pirates, most likely because he is, FTPE;
Every year on September 19th, the writer observes this holiday. It was created John Baur and Mark Summers.
ANSWER: International Talk Like a Pirate Day
The writer finds this Johnny Depp character from the Pirates of the Caribbean series to be extremely offensive.
ANSWER: Captain Jack Sparrow
This pirate isn’t actually a single man, but a series of individuals, because, let’s face it, no one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Westley.
ANSWER: Dread Pirate Roberts
16) A few days before filming for this film began, Josh Brolin broke his collarbone in a motorcycle accident, but he and his doctor both lied to Joel and Ethan Cohen about Brolin’s injuries. Later, Brolin was the subject of a piece for Esquire in which the Cohens claimed that Josh Brolin was the “Casting Mistake of the Year.” One scene in this film sees Anton Chigurh, a hitman with philosophies, break through numerous locks with the help of his trusty cattle gun. Tommy Lee Jones plays a sheriff who laments that the area he grew up in has become increasingly violent. FTP, name this 2007 crime and drama film, an adaptation of a Cormac McCarthy novel, whose name is a reference to the poem “Sailing to Byzantium” by William Butler Yeats.
ANSWER: No Country for Old Men
BONUS: While most movies based off of novels suck, these ones were actually pretty good. FTPE, name these successful films that were also successful novels.
This 2009 drama film starring Viggo Mortensen was also based off of a Cormac McCarthy novel. It follows an unnamed father and his son trying to survive in post-apocalyptic America, armed only with a pistol with two bullets.
ANSWER: The Road
Viggo Mortensen also stars in this third film based off of J.R.R Tolkien’s novel. Frodo and Sam finally manage to walk to a volcano and throw a ring in a fire in this film.
ANSWER: The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Stanley Kubrick directed this film, based off of Peter George’s Red Alert. There’s no fighting in the war room in this film.
ANSWER: Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
17) One player to come from this university’s team is famous for his trademark finger wag after every blocked shot and helped lead the 8 seeded Denver Nuggets over the top seeded Seattle SuperSonics in the opening round of the 1994 NBA Playoffs. Another man to play for this university currently starts at Center for the Indiana(*) Pacers, while another former player led the New York Knicks to the 1994 NBA Finals, where they were edged out by another Hall of Fame Center, Hakeem Olajuwon’s Rockets. That man had earlier won the 1984 NCAA Championship while playing for this university, then coached by John Thompson I(The First). FTP, Name this alma mater of Roy Hibbert, Dikembe Matumbo, James Ewing and Allen Iverson, a Big East school currently coached by John Thompson III(The Third)
ANSWER: Georgetown University(Prompt on the Hoyas)
BONUS: Given a college basketball coach, current or retired, give the school that they coached at. If they prominently coached at more than one school, all answers will be accepted.
ANSWER: University of North Carolina (Accept UNC)
ANSWER: University of Florida
ANSWER: Army(Accept West Point), University of Indiana, Texas Tech University(Accept any underline answer)
18) Mark Little does the voice for this beverage, which inspired the drink Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator in Idiocracy. It interrupts it’s namesake YouTube video to BLOW YOUR MIND. This beverage comes in one flavor called Women(*) with preposterous amounts of testosterone and is known as Menergy. If given to babies, they will run as fast as Kenyans, and eventually be deported back to Kenya. Another variant is knowl as Godberry, and is billed as “KING OF THE JUICE.” FTP, name this energy drink that includes other flavors such as Manana and Juice Springsteen,
BONUS: Extreme advertising is a popular meme. FTPE name these other song memes.
Gary Brolsma lip syncs the Romanian song “Dragostea din tei” by O-Zone in this song.
ANSWER: Numa Numa dance
OK Go created a music video featuring treadmills for this song, still their most popular.
ANSWER: Here it Goes Again
A huge collection of Memes were combined in this Weezer song, such as the Numa Numa guy and the Ddramatic Chipmunk.
ANSWER: Pork and Beans
19) This band was first named The Detours and who briefly changed their name to High Numbers in the summer of 1964. Their first hit, “I Can’t Explain,”(*) was among the top 10 U.K. hits of 1965. One tragedy that came about because of this band happened in 1979 when 11 people were trampled to death trying to get into a Cincinnati performance of this band. For 10 points name the classic rock band led by Guitarist Pete Townshend and vocalist Roger Daltry, famous for songs like “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Baba O’Riley.”
ANSWER: The Who
BONUS: For Ten Points given only the name of the song give the respective band that made it onto a number one chart in the 1960’s:
“I’m A Believer”
ANSWER: The Monkees
ANSWER: The Beatles
“Mr. Tambourine Man”
ANSWER: The Byrds
20) This man’s first role came as an extra on the TV series Centennial, which was partly filmed in this man’s hometown of Augusta. His first major role came in the sitcom E/R (“E-Slash-R”, DO NOT SAY ER). In a film loosely based off of Homer’s The Odyssey, this man states that he “doesn’t want FOP,” because he is “a Dapper Dan man,” and in 2001, he teamed up with director Steven Soderbergh to star as Danny Ocean in Ocean’s Eleven. FTP, name this actor who seemingly gets more handsome with age, who co-starred with Ewan McGregor and Kevin Spacey in the 2009 film The Men Who Stare At Goats.
ANSWER: George Clooney
BONUS: Ocean’s Eleven features an ensemble cast of some pretty good actors. FTPE, name these actors.
This actor, who died in August of 2008, played Frank Catton in Ocean’s Eleven.
ANSWER: Bernie Mac
This actor, who also had starring roles in Mr. and Mrs. Smith and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, played Rusty Ryan in Ocean’s Eleven.
ANSWER: Brad Pitt
This actor who appeared in numerous Super Bowl commercials from 2002-2005 played Basher Tarr in Ocean’s Eleven.
ANSWER: Don Cheadle