1. 2012’s iteration of this event included a house party hosted by the cast of Comedy Central’s Workaholics, while two major Hollywood films premiered there, including The Cabin in the Woods. Secret shows are a common feature of this festival, with a 2006 performance at the Fox & Hound by the Flaming Lips among some outlet’s top music festival performances of all time. Hanson met their agent after traveling south from Tulsa to play at this event, while Twitter’s explosion in popularity is often traced to its 2007 iteration. As many as two thousand performers flood this event each year playing in venues off of the host city’s most iconic streets, including South Congress, Rainey, and 6th Streets. Named as a play on a film by Alfred Hitchcock this is, FTP, what annual set of film, interactive and music festivals located in Austin, Texas?
ANSWER: South by Southwest (accept “SXSW”) 2. This football player was a four-year starter in college and broke the NCAA record for most consecutive starts at his position, leading his team to 4 bowl games and winning 3. He entered the league as third on the depth chart at his position, behind a well-regarded forty-two year old yet still ahead of Cleo Lemon. In 2007, he led his team to their first playoff win since 1994. He tore his ACL in the divisional round of the playoffs but played through his injury in the AFC Championship Game, although his team lost to the Patriots. In 2011 a video went viral which caught this player lamenting, “this is the worst day ever” after a Monday night overtime loss to the Chiefs in which he botched a snap. FTP, who is this former NC State and current San Diego Chargers quarterback who was memorably traded for Eli Manning in 2004?
ANSWER: Philip Rivers
3. One member of this duo was originally played by Phil Bruns but was replaced by another actor in the second season of the series in which they appeared. Of his time working under a man named Harry Fleming, one half of this couple says, “Cheap fabric and dim lighting--that’s how you move merchandise.” The merchandise he was selling was raincoats, specifically a beltless style referred to as “The Executive.” This couple was forced to leave their condo in Del Boca Vista after one of them, the president of the tenant’s board, was impeached after their son buys him a Cadillac, and their time spent with that son leaves one of them wondering, “How could anyone not like him?” while an unwanted dinner invitation prompts her to explain, “…we don’t much care for the Costanzas.” FTP, who is this couple, the fictional parents of the protagonist on the show Seinfeld?
ANSWER: Jerry’s parents (accept “Morty and Helen” or “Seinfeld’s parents” before “Seinfeld” is said)
4. This album’s popularity supposedly led to its band’s guitarist John Frusciante to leave the band until 1998. Released the same day asNevermind, one song on this album includes the lyrics “come-on full of fun, do me ‘till I’m well done,” and “is she talking dirty, give to me sweet sacred bliss”. The cover to this album depicts all four members faces positioned around a rose, while the booklet features photographs of all the members’ tattoos. Other songs from this album include the lyrics “what I’ve got--you’ve got to get it put it in you” and “twisting and turning you’re feelings are burning;” those songs are “Give It Away” and “Breaking the Girl.” FTP, what is this Red Hot Chili Peppers album that includes the hit “Under the Bridge”?
ANSWER: Blood Sugar Sex Magik 5. This player led the American League in hitting at his position in each of the five full seasons that he played in the infield, including a season that saw him hit a three-run home run off NL starter Roger Clemens in the 2004 All Star Game. Clemens had previously been this player’s teammate and had started a World Series Game 7 in which this player’s home run off Curt Schilling seemingly clinched a Yankees victory. Ian Kinsler took over for this player in 2005 when he was traded from the Rangers to the Nationals, where he would later be disgruntled over a position change to left field. With the Nationals he became the fourth player in history to join the “40-40 club,” prompting his decision to enter free agency and ultimately sign an eight-year, $136 million contract with a team from the NL Central. FTP, who is this left fielder for the Chicago Cubs?
ANSWER: Alfonso Soriano 6. This comic book series was quite controversial at the time of its release for implicating the Masons in some pretty gruesome crimes. It begins with a scandal involving a woman in an asylum whose thyroid gland is operated on by an official physician. The title of this series is the first line from a letter written by the work’s main character to the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee. The letter was attached to half of a human kidney. This series was adapted for the screen in 2001, starring Heather Graham as a kindly London prostitute and Johnny Depp as a police detective that uses opium to aid him in solving crimes. FTP, what is this comic book series that centers on the life and crimes of Jack the Ripper, written by Alan Moore?
ANSWER: From Hell 7. In 2012, James Horan began appearing as a sheriff in advertisements for this product. A recent ad campaign by this products maker, Innovation Ventures, has tried to push the healthy aspects of this product, claiming that 73% of 3,000 doctors interviewed would recommend this product. Other advertisements for this product ask the question, “Do you know what 2:30 in the Afternoon feels like?” while showing footage of dozing office workers. This product claims to provide a “no wait, no hassle way to a great morning”, as it provides all the caffeine of a cup of coffee without the mess. Vegetarian and certified Kosher this is, FTP, what low calorie long lasting supplement sold in shot size doses?
ANSWER: 5 Hour Energy 8. This character is told that if she would like to kiss her father then “it would be all right” before sending her attendant home. Over the course of the next few days she haggles with a man developing a cough, shares a bed with an old woman who snores, and witnesses a trial in which it is explained that a local man must have opened fire on a campsite in cold blood. The purpose for which this character eventually hires that “one-eyed fat man” is the same for which she steals apples for Little Blackie. That horse later dies of exhaustion carrying this character away from the scene of a series of gunfights that claimed the lives of Lucky Ned Pepper and Tom Chaney, the man that killed this girl’s father. FTP, who is this character played by Kim Darby and Hailee Steinfeld in the film adaptations of True Grit?
ANSWER: MattieRoss (accept either underlined answer)
9. Although skilled at playing the Theremin, he is seldom seen achieving success in his other ventures. He allegedly has a degree in art history, as well as mail order degrees in murderology and murderonomy. As a way to repay his being saved from the Tritonian yeti this character agrees to euthanize his employer if he begins to suffer from hypermalaria. In one episode he is rejected by potential mate Edna for the emperor of his people; this was considered a lucky break because members of his race die after they mate. He has four hearts, an empathy bladder, at least two stomachs, and a “wazoo,” or sex organ for creating “male jelly.” Things this character has eaten include wood and chess pieces, although he has an admitted affinity for anchovies, and once was arrested for eating the American flag. FTP, who is this alien employee of Planet Express on Futurama?
ANSWER: Dr. John A. Zoidberg (accept either underlined answer)
10. One scene from this movie features Jean Stapleton playing the piano while a surrounding group sings a song that begins, “the violin sings with joyful ring.” That group includes Greg Kinnear in the role of the boyfriend of one the protagonists. Dave Chapelle and Steve Zahn also have supporting roles in this movie, portraying employees of the two main characters. The stores in which they work are Fox Books and The Shop Around the Corner respectively, the latter’s name being a reference to the 1940 film on which this movie is based. FTP, the rivalry between two stores is complicated by an anonymous online romance in what Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks romantic comedy with a title based on an AOL greeting?
ANSWER: You’ve Got Mail 11. This athlete was a member of a college team that set the “world best” time in the 4x110 yard relay in 1967. He went on to establish the largest margin of victory ever for a Heisman Trophy winner after claiming the rushing title in the late 1960s. The following year, this running back was the number one overall draft pick out of USC by the team where he spent the majority of his career, the Buffalo Bills. He was the first NFL player to rush for 2,000 yards in a season and the only player to ever do so in a 14 game season. He currently holds the NFL single season record for rushing yards per game. FTP, who is this infamous running back, known by many for his acting role in The Naked Gun film series and by many more for his legal troubles in 1995?
ANSWER: O.J. Simpson
12. This artist made a guest appearance as a voice actor on the children’s show The Backyardigans, performing the song “Almost Everything is Boinga Here.” She broke into the music scene with a contribution to the Men In Black soundtrack titled “Dah Dee Dah (Sexy Thing)”. She has been in several films, including Smokin’ Aces as contract killer Georgia Sykes and The Secret Life of Bees as June Boatwright. She was a major contributor to “The Mega Song,” and her most successful collaborations include her song with Jack White for the Quantum of Solace theme, as well as her work with Usher in 2004 and Jay-Z in 2009. Her debut album in 2001, Songs in A Minor, won five Grammy awards, the most of any artist that year. FTP, name this R&B singer and pianist whose songs include “Superwoman,” “Empire State of Mind,” and “Fallin’”?
ANSWER: Alicia Keys
13. This actress’ recent movies include Bordertown, in which she plays a reporter who attempts to solve murders at a maquiladora, and An Unfinished Life, in which she plays Robert Redford’s character’s long-lost daughter-in-law. The star of The Cell and The Back-up Plan, this actress played an abused wife who learns to fight back in Enough. She also appeared in 2005’s Monster-in-Law as a woman who wishes to marry Jane Fonda’s son and 1997’s Anaconda as a documentary film director. Her first leading role came in another 1997 film about a Tejano music star who is shot to death by her fan-club president. In addition to Selena, this actress has also starred in The Wedding Planner and Maid in Manhattan. FTP, who is this actress and pop singer who co-starred with her ex-husband Ben Affleck in the ill-fated Gigli?
ANSWER: Jennifer Lopez (accept “J-Lo”)
14. It’s not Providence or Detroit, but the parking authority of this city is the subject of A&E’s Parking Wars. Eddie and Joy Stark, Brad Garrett and Joely Fisher’s characters on ‘Til Death, live in a suburb of this city, and it is also the home of the Steadmans and the Westons on thirtysomething. This city is the setting of American Dreams, and two of that show’s characters were dancers on American Bandstand, which was filmed here until 1964. Little Bill and Fat Albert both live in this city, as does Detective Lily Rush of the CBS series Cold Case. Eric and Corey Matthews are fans of this city’s sports teams on Boy Meets World, and its nickname provided the title for a series starring Joey, Matt, and Andy Lawrence. FTP, what is this city, the setting of Brotherly Love?
15. While he is often a playable character, he sometimes appears in supporting roles, including as a blacksmith in a game titled after another character “and the Black Knight.” His first game as a maincharacter had him teach children about scales and instruments with the “music maker;” he was introduced three years earlier in the second game of a series for the Sega Genesis, in which he is playable from the second controller slot. This character is often given a plane or other vehicle and he can sometimes be seen wearing goggles, fitting his role as a mechanical genius. In his third appearance he is given the ability to swim underwater and to pick up other characters and fly them around using his namesake appendages like the propellers of a helicopter; one of those characters is an echidna named Knuckles. FTP, who is this fox, a character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series?
ANSWER: Miles “Tails” Prower (accept any underlined answer)
16. In 2011 when touring with the Foo Fighters, this band’s drummer Jared Champion’s appendix burst and Dave Grohl temporarily took over his duties. The video for a song from their second album features the lead singer digging up his girlfriend’s corpse and bringing it around with him to events such as parties. Another music video sees a man go jogging and seem to relive memories of his life, only for the viewer to see that he was dreaming and died in his sleep. One song on their acclaimed self titled debut album tells the “critics who despise us,” to “go ahead and criticize us;” that song is “In One Ear.” Radio play hits from their second album, Thank You, Happy Birthday include “Aberdeen” and “Around my Head.” FTP, what is this band fronted by Matthew Shultz, which has released popular songs such as “Shake Me Down” and “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked”?
ANSWER: Cage the Elephant
17. 2012 saw the self-publication of a controversial young adult novel about saving a pale-skinned race of people known by this term from extinction by the dark skinned “coals”. The first name of the mother of a mad scientist and villain on Mystery Science Theater 3000, it is also the last name of a former head coach of the University of Tennessee’s men’s basketball team who was the first coach in Volunteers history to lead the school to a #1 ranking. A comic strip written by Stephen Pastis includes this term in its title and features the exploits of several anthropomorphic animals. The governor of Port Royal’s daughter was taken hostage aboard a ship named after one of these, and a man who has a monkey named for him was once the captain of that ship. FTP, what is this type of gem formed when oysters accidentally ingest a foreign object?
ANSWER: pearl 18. This journeyman coach began his coaching career as an assistant in Minnesota from 1989 to 1991. His first head-coaching job came eighteen years later for a few days when he subbed in for Doc Rivers in 2007 while Rivers attended a funeral. This coach’s current team recently drafted Marquis Teague, a point guard from Kentucky who undoubtedly will play second-string. Other members of this coach’s team include Marco Belinelli, Nate Robinson, and Taj Gibson. In 2011, this coach was named Eastern Conference coach of the year after taking his team to the first overall seed, before getting dropped by the Heat in the Conference Finals. FTP, who is this man, the replacement of Vinny Del Negro and coach of Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls?
19. In one episode of the show on which this character appears his grapefruit wins a fruit race, causing a bus crash and eventually leading to him being beaten after he is accused of stealing food. Another episode sees him receive a kiss from a girl he has a crush on before walking off Holding Hands Peak, at which point he is caught by a bald eagle. He buys his friend’s soul for $5 in the same episode in which he rats out that friend for switching the church’s hymn music to “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida;” that friend’s father once took pictures of this character kissing the Rich Texan’s daughter Paris. In an earlier season his parents Kirk and Luann separated after a game of Pictionary, and he once turned down advice from Mickey Rooney about returning to the set of Rainier Wolfcastle’s Radioactive Man movie to play his sidekick Fallout Boy. FTP, who is this blue-haired, glasses-wearing friend of Bart Simpson?
ANSWER: MilhouseVan Houten (accept either underlined answer)
20. Legend has it that this man was busy playing a clarinet at a bar when it was announced he had won an Academy Award. That would be the first of four Academy Award victories and 23 nominations, the most recent win being at the 2011 Oscars for Best Original Screenplay. Beginning his career as a writer for The Ed Sullivan Show and for Sid Caesar, he wrote the Broadway play Don’t Drink the Water and a play that took its title from a frequently misquoted movie line; that play would later be adapted into a movie that he directed and starred in as a man who converses with the spirit of Humphrey Bogart. He faced personal scrutiny in 1992 when he broke up with Mia Farrow to date her adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn, and his recent films have been set in Paris, Rome, and Barcelona. FTP, who this director known for films such as Hannah and Her Sisters and Annie Hall?
ANSWER: Woody Allen or Allan Stewart Konigsburg
1. Answer some questions about the current coach of the Bills, FTPE:
1) This coach got his first start as an NFL head coach with the Dallas Cowboys, but has been with the Bills since 2010. He led Buffalo to a 6-10 record in 2011.
2) Gailey left the Dolphins in 2001 to coach this college team, which is currently led by his replacement Paul Johnson. Notable players under Gailey at this school included Tashard Choice and a player who is on the cover of Madden NFL 13.
ANSWER: Georgia Institute of Technology
3) Gailey’s Bills are nearing the end of a five-year contract that stipulates they play one home game a year in this non-American city. This city also hosted the short-lived International Bowl from 2007 to 2010.
ANSWER: Toronto 2. Much of this show was set at the appropriately named Neptune High. FTPE:
1) This crime drama aired on UPN and The CW for three seasons from 2004 to 2007. Its first season saw its namesake character attempt to solve the murder of Lily Kane.
ANSWER: Veronica Mars
2) This actress appeared as Veronica on Veronica Mars, as well as Sarah Marshall in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Beth Martin in When in Rome. She once broke down in tears over the arrival of a sloth at her house on her birthday.
ANSWER: Kristen Bell
3) Enrico Colantoni played Veronica’s father Keith on Veronica Mars, but may be better known for his role as the photographer Elliot on this NBC sitcom. It also starred George Segal as the owner of Blush magazine.
ANSWER: Just Shoot Me! 3. Identify the following about gorillas in movies, FTPE:
1) Sigourney Weaver starred as this scientist in the 1988 movie Gorillas in the Mist. After being inspired by Louis Leakey to study gorillas in Rwanda, she is mysteriously murdered at the end of the film.
ANSWER: Dian Fossey
2) A gorilla costume features prominently in this 1983 comedy. An actual gorilla falls in love with Clarence Beeks after he fails to murder the main characters of this movie and is then dressed in the aforementioned gorilla costume.
ANSWER: Trading Places
3) This Hungarian actor starred in a 1952 comedy movie as a doctor who literally tries to turn people into gorillas. He may be better known for his numerous appearances in B-movies.
ANSWER: Bela Lugosi 4. She was recently featured on fun.’s 2012 single “We Are Young.” FTPE:
1) Name this singer/songwriter responsible for the 2010 album, The ArchAndroid. Some of her other songs include “Violet Stars Happy Hunting!” and “Come Alive (The War of the Roses).”
ANSWER: Janelle Monae 2) This 2010 Janelle Monae song claims “when you tippin on the scene, yeah they talkin’ bout it.” Its chorus instructs the listener to do the title action “whether you’re high or low.”
3) Monae often performs wearing this traditional menswear staple. In 2002 Jackie Chan starred in an action film titled after one of these, which grants him special martial arts abilities.
ANSWER: tuxedo 5. Identify these things related to a popular ‘90s sitcom, FTPE:
1) This NBC series starred Paul Reiser as a documentary filmmaker living in New York City with his wife, their dog Murray, and, eventually their daughter.
ANSWER: Mad About You
2) This actress won four straight Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for her role as Jamie Buchman on Mad About You. She won the 1997 Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance in As Good As It Gets.
ANSWER: Helen Hunt
3) This Friends character appeared in 23 episodes of Mad About You as a forgetful waitress at Riff’s restaurant. On Friends she is a successful porn star and at one point sells her twin sister’s birth certificate to a Swedish runaway.
ANSWER: Ursula Buffay (prompt on “Buffay”)
6. This man lost 173 pounds in sixteen weeks on The Biggest Loser before leaving the show prior to that season’s final episode. FTPE:
1) This onetime dairy farmer won the 2000 gold medal in Greco-Roman wrestling, defeating Russian Alexander Karelin, who had gone the previous thirteen years without losing. He considered a comeback for the 2012 Olympics, which would have been awesome but unfortunately never happened.
ANSWER: Rulon Gardner
2) Gardner first attended junior college in Idaho before obtaining a football scholarship to this Big-10 school. Other athletes who attended this school include the Yankees’ Joba Chamberlain and the Lions’ Ndamukong Suh.
ANSWER: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
3)In 2002 Gardner survived falling into a frozen river and being stranded for eighteen hours in the wilderness after becoming lost riding one of these. Sarah Palin’s husband Todd is a four-time champion of the world’s largest race for these vehicles.
ANSWER: snowmobiles 7. This band was originally named after Bela Bartok, but changed their name after realizing “nobody knows who the hell Bela Bartok is in the United States”. FTPE:
1) This band’s name partially derives from the name of the Ukranian-born author responsible for works such as Dead Souls. They are responsible for such albums as Voi-La Intruder and Gypsy Punk: Underdog World Strike.
ANSWER: Gogol Bordello 2) The video to this song by Gogol Bordello starts with the lead singer wearing women’s shoes and dancing in the streets. The song’s lyrics claim “all your sanity and wits, they will all vanish, I promise, it’s just a matter of time,” after making the titular demand.
ANSWER: “Start Wearing Purple”
3) “Start Wearing Purple” is featured on the soundtrack to this 2005 film starring Elijah Wood and Gogol Bordello’s lead singer Eugene Hutz as his Eastern European guide. It is based on the novel of the same name by Jonathan Safran Foer.
ANSWER: Everything Is Illuminated 8. Answer some questions about racy animation, FTPE:
1) This 1972 film based on a character by R. Crumb was the first to be given an X rating. It focuses on American college life in the 1960s and stars the titular anthropomorphic pet and friends such as Duke the Crow.
ANSWER: Fritz the Cat
2) The film Fritz the Cat was written and directed by this Palestinian animator who was once the head animator for Paramount Pictures. A proponent of the rotoscoping technique, he wrote and directed the 1978 animated film, The Lord of the Rings, as well as the TV series Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures.
ANSWER: Ralph Bakshi
3) Bakshi’s 1983 film Fire and Ice has been criticized for its similarity to this 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. Its sequel, in which its main character is dubbed “the Destroyer,” was released in 1984.
ANSWER: Conan the Barbarian
9. Identify these loosely related things from music, FTPE:
1) This fourth album by Wilco was released in 2002. Pitchfork gave this album a perfect 10.0 rating, and it includes the track “Pot Kettle Black.”
ANSWER: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 2) This Puerto Rican reggaeton artist first hit international fame with the release of his 2004 album Barrio Fino. His biggest hit to date is his single “Gasolina”, which was performed live at a campaign stop for Republican presidential nominee John McCain.
ANSWER: Daddy Yankee 3) This rocker formed the supergroup Damn Yankees. This man is probably better known for albums such as Intensity in 10 Cities and for nearly cutting off his leg with a chainsaw.
ANSWER: Ted Nugent 10. He’s the man, number 31, from the Land of the Rising Sun. Identify these things that have to do with Ichiro Suzuki, FTPE:
1) The Yankees acquired Ichiro from the Mariners in part to replace the contributions of this injured left fielder. He played just nine games in 2012 before landing on the DL with an elbow injury.
ANSWER: Brett Gardner
2) Ichiro is one of only two players to collect more than 240 hits in a single season twice, the other being this first baseman for the St. Louis Browns. Ichiro broke his single-season hit record of 257 in 2004.
ANSWER: George Sisler
3) Ichiro is considered to be the first everyday position player born in Japan, although he was soon followed by others, including this middle infielder who last played in the majors for the Astros. He was traded by the Mets to the Rockies in 2006 to make room for Jose Reyes.
ANSWER: Kazuo Matsui 11. This band’s comeback received a boost when they performed “The Clap” on Today in 2010. FTPE:
1) Fronted by Aldous Snow, this band’s single “African Child (Trapped in Me)” was a financial and critical failure. The events leading up to their anniversary concert at the Greek Theater inspired the song “Furry Walls.”
ANSWER: Infant Sorrow
2) This actor played Infant Sorrow’s lead singer Aldous Snow in Get Him to the Greek and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. He has also hosted the MTV Video Music Awards and starred in the 2011 remake of Arthur.
ANSWER: Russell Brand
3) Get Him to the Greek also includes a cameo by this drummer and founding member of Metallica. A onetime opponent of Napster, he appears in the movie as the romantic interest of Snow’s ex-girlfriend Jackie Q.
ANSWER: Lars Ulrich 12. Answer the following about the essential women’s magazine, Cosmopolitan, FTPE:
1) This former editor of the magazine was responsible for controversially running a nearly full nude centerfold of Burt Reynolds in the magazine in 1972. She also wrote the bestseller, Sex and the Single Girl; she died in 2012.
ANSWER: Helen Gurley Brown 2) The August 2012 edition of Cosmo featured this young starlet, who is famous for her pronounced eyebrows as for her role as Aria Montgomery in ABC Family’s Pretty Little Liars.
ANSWER: Lucy Hale
3) Russell Dunbar, David Spade’s character on this show, says that he reads Cosmo because it’s like “having the other team’s playbook.” It also stars Patrick Warburton and Oliver Hudson as Russell’s friends who often eat with him at The Island Diner.
ANSWER: Rules of Engagement 13. They released their last album Hypnotize in 2005. FTPE:
1) This band’s hugely successful 2001 album’s cover displays its name in a parody of the Hollywood sign. Their best known songs include “Aerials” and “B.Y.O.B.”
ANSWER: System of a Down
2) This early hit by System of a Down was kept off the air on many Clear Channel stations in 2001. Its lyrics include a lot of yelling as well as the line “I cry when angels deserve to die.”
ANSWER: “Chop Suey!”
3) The title of System of a Down’s 2002 album Steal This Album! is a reference to this man’s 1971 book Steal This Book. A leader of the counterculture movement, he was one of the more vocal members of the Chicago Seven.
ANSWER: Abbie Hoffman 14. Answer these questions about one half of the Blues Brothers, FTPE:
1) This Canadian actor and comedian played Elwood Blues, harmonica player and vocalist of the Blues Brothers. He also starred as Ray Stantz in 1984's Ghostbusters.
ANSWER: Dan Aykroyd 2) Akroyd often performed impersonations of this US president when he was a cast member on Saturday Night Live. A recent Funny or Die video sees him revive this impersonation as a group of ex-presidents attempt to convince Barack Obama to be harsher on Wall Street.
ANSWER: Jimmy Carter 3) Akroyd is also an avid believer in the existence of these creatures. One History Channel show about "ancient" types of these is hosted by Giorgio A. Tsoukalos, who is perhaps better known for his crazy, gravity-defying hair.
ANSWER: aliens or extraterrestrials (accept clear equivalents)
15. Answer some questions about an annual sports event, FTPE:
1) This event has historically been dominated by USC, who have won the title twelve times in twenty-one appearances. Arizona won this event with a two-game sweep in 2012.
ANSWER: College World Series
2) The College World Series is held annually in this city, which may be more famous for its steaks. The Creighton Bluejays also call this city home.
3) In addition to Stony Brook, this Midwestern team was the darling of the 2012 College World Series. They defeated national top seed Florida in the first round before being eliminated by South Carolina.
ANSWER: Kent StateGolden Flashes (accept either underlined answer)
16. The screenplay to this 1996 film was written with the writer’s friends in mind for key roles and features an overnight trip to Las Vegas. FTPE:
1) This movie follows the misadventures of Mike Peters and Trent Walker as they navigate Mike’s post-breakup life. Vince Vaughn plays Trent, who makes it his personal mission to turn Mike into one of the titular figures.
ANSWER: Swingers 2) This man wrote and starred in Swingers as Mike. His directorial efforts include both Iron Man movies as well as Cowboys and Aliens.
ANSWER: Jon Favreau 3) This actor plays Mike’s friend Rob who helps coach Mike in the rules of seduction. This actor also played Captain Lewis Nixon in the miniseries Band of Brothers, although he is probably better known for his performance in Office Space.
ANSWER: Ron Livingston 17. Identify these things about one of Cartoon Network’s first attempts at original programming, FTPE:
1) This show, which premiered in 1994, featured its masked superhero host conducting awkwardly edited interviews with celebrities. Its original run ended in 2004.
ANSWER: Space Ghost Coast to Coast
2) This gigantic talking mantis was Space Ghost’s prisoner and the leader of the show’s band. With Brak he currently serves as one of the co-hosts of the rebooted Cartoon Planet.
3) Moltar, Coast to Coast’s producer and another of Space Ghost’s prisoners, is known to be a fan of this star of the TV series CHiPs. His other Adult Swim credits include the voice of the station’s engineer Marco on Sealab 2021.
ANSWER: Erik Estrada 18. Answer these questions about one of Hollywood's most famous actors under 5 feet tall, FTPE:
1) This actor and comedian has directed films such as The War of the Roses and Death to Smoochy. However, he's probably more famous for his role on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
ANSWER: Danny DeVito 2) DeVito's first directorial attempt was this 1987 film. It stars Billy Crystal as a novelist who wants to conspire with DeVito’s character Owen Life to commit the perfect murder.
ANSWER: Throw Momma From the Train 3) DeVito married this actress in 1982, but they recently separated. She co-starred with him in Matilda, but is perhaps best known for her role as Carla Tortelli on the sitcom Cheers, for which she won four Emmy awards.
ANSWER: Rhea Pearlman 19. This show’s major contribution to society may be the popularizing of the word “bazinga.” FTPE:
1) This CBS sitcom premiered in September 2007. It follows the exploits of four physicists and their blonde neighbor, Penny.
ANSWER: The Big Bang Theory
2) This Emmy-winning actor plays Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory. He has also appeared in The Muppets as the human version of Walter during the song “Man or Muppet.”
ANSWER: Jim Parsons
3) This actress had a recurring role on The Big Bang Theory for three seasons as Leslie Winkle. Known for playing Darlene on Roseanne, she can currently be seen on The Talk.
ANSWER: Sara Gilbert 20. I am Boutros-Boutros Ghali; put down your gun and listen to this Bob Marley bonus, FTPE:
1) This song was released on the posthumous album Confrontation. Lyrics from this song include the lines “stolen from Africa, brought to America; fighting on arrival, fighting for survival.”
ANSWER: “Buffalo Soldier”
2) This best selling reggae album of all time was the second posthumous album released by Marley and The Wailers. It is a greatest hits collection and contains all ten of Marley’s Top 40 singles up until its release in 1984.
ANSWER: Legend 3) This 1977 album is widely considered to have propelled Marley into stardom. It was recorded in London after Marley survived an assassination attempt in Jamaica, and it includes “One Love/People Get Ready” and “Jamming.”