1. Draw and label hypothetical glottal area waveforms for modal, glottal fry and falsetto registers.
2. Draw and label an input spectrum, frequency response curve and output spectrum for a male producing the vowel /u/. How would this differ if the person was whispering the vowel?
3. What is your best guess of the diphthong that is represented in the following wide-band spectrogram? How did you make this determination? Draw lines that represent the center frequencies of F1 and F2.
4 Draw and label a waveform showing the prototypical features of a voiceless plosive. How would this waveform change if the plosive was voiced instead of voiceless? Mark with a “P” the region within the waveform where you think intraoral pressure is at its highest? Mark with an “F” the regions within the waveform where you think oral airflow is at its highest?
5. Draw an input spectrum, frequency response curve and output spectrum for the fricative “sh”.
6. How might a reduced ability to generate intraoral pressure affect the acoustic characteristics of an oral plosive?
7. How might you differentiate /s/ from /z/ on a spectrogram?
8. Draw and label stylized spectrograms for the following words