Served in Royal Navy; Attended City of London College for Business Management; Assistant Managing Director of Horsehair Manufacturers; 17 Bell’s Lane, Glensford, Suffolk. Attended BBS in the early 1940s.
Jeanette B W Robertson
Mrs Jeanette Smith (née Robertson) (1937) died in a Nursing Home after a long period of declining health on 7th December 2010. On leaving School Jeanette studied English and History at St Andrews University, followed by Teacher Training at Moray House. Her teaching career took her to both Secondary and Primary Schools, finishing at Craigrothie Primary School. She was for a period Assistant Examiner for English Literature for Manchester University Board. After she married, her husband's career as a veterinary surgeon led to a number of moves to various parts of England and Scotland, until Ian set up his own business in Kirkcaldy, where they have stayed ever since.
Jeanette had many interests. She was a keen golfer, taking after her father who had been a professional golfer; she enjoyed curling and was a keen bridge player. She loved music and while still living in Cupar, she joined her father in several performances with Cupar Operatic Society. She continued to play the piano to a high standard. She joined a French class in Kirkcaldy, where she lived, during the winter of 2004 and, having started off with perhaps some hesitation after a fairly long absence from such a class, found herself being praised for her knowledge of French grammar. The teacher was sufficiently impressed to enquire where she had learnt the language and who had taught her. The late ‘Annie Bash’ would have been thrilled! She had also studied to gain an HND in Scots Law. Her health began to deteriorate about six years ago. She is survived by her husband, two daughters and a son.
Mrs Linda Whitfield (née Robertson), who was living in Scarborough at the time, wrote a lengthy and fascinating letter which she said would become ‘soggy with nostalgia’ if prolonged. This was in connection with a reunion of the Class of ’47 held on 23 August 1997. Linda reminisces about the school which, when she came from Dunfermline High in 1949, she hated. Later she realised, as did many of us, that she had been ‘privileged to sit at the feet of some of the finest teachers in the country’. She wrote with great affection of Mr Howie, ‘Bandy’ Wood and Tommy Muir.
Louise Robertson left School in 2002 to go to Glasgow University to study Chemical Physics. She gave up her summer to study centuries-old shells for 8 hours a day. As a result of this she was awarded a certificate from the Nuffield Foundation, under whose auspices she was working. She was assisting Dr Bill Austin, of the Geography and Geoscience Department. He heads the European Union-funded research team which is studying the environment of a Scottish sea loch, and he taught Louise how to examine the molluscs and to analyse the data by computer. It seems that the shells, up to 150 years old, are marked, rather as trees are by their rings, and this enables the climate to be analysed. Louise had to prepare a report for a panel of experts.
Her sterling work during the summer of 2002 brought her the Kodak Prize at the BA CREST Science Fair at the Royal Society in London. The Fair is a show case for some of the best work by young people in the fields of Science and Technology in the UK. There was a display of work by 150 young people aged from 11-19.
Louise's project was entitled Arctica Islandica Trees of the Seas. She received a Kodak photography award kit for the best photography used in the displays.
Louise was awarded the Ede and Ravenscroft Prize as the most distinguished graduate in Physical Sciences in the academic year 2006-7 in Glasgow University. She graduated with an MSc (Hons 1st Class) in Chemical Physics and was to return to the University in the autumn of 2007 to do a PhD. Louise's father is Neil Robertson (mid 1960s) who teaches at Springfield Primary School.
Margaret Robertson (late 1960s) co-ordinated an evolving art work in Cupar which is intended to illustrate the community's desire for an Arts Centre. The wall of colour was a feature of an exhibition by three local artists in the former bakery behind Fisher and Donaldson's shop and now in premises behind the town centre car park. This is now the venue for an Art Exhibition on the third Saturday of each month to coincide with the Farmers' Market. The idea was sparked off by the discovery of boxes and foil wrappers and used for chocolates when the premises were being cleaned up. Visitors are invited to decorate the square with pieces of folded, torn or shaped materials - some abstract, some representing flowers or other scenes. The wall now has around 300 squares.
The report above appeared in Newsletter #33, November 2007.
Margaret Fergusson Robertson
Margaret Fergusson Robertson, of Ponteix, Saskatchewan, Canada, to which she had emigrated from her home town, Ladybank, to be near her family, died on 2nd June 1991.
Peter Caw Robertson
Dr Peter Caw Robertson was born in Cupar on 8th January 1899. Educated at Bell Baxter School, he served in the First World War from 1916 in the Lancashire Fusiliers, spending a short time in France. After the war he entered St Andrews University, where he was a better than average student academically and an outstanding athlete, being a triple blue in athletics, hockey and cricket. He recalled that he had a degree examination in Dundee on a day he was to have raced against Eric Liddle; the exam ran late and, although he rushed over to Fife by ferry, he missed the start of the race. ‘I would have been easily beaten,’ he said, ‘but it would have been nice to run against him.’ He qualified MB ChB in 1923. He was at Edenfield, Cupar in 1925.
Initially he joined his brother in practice in Crail to form a partnership known locally as Dr Willie and Dr Peter. While working there he took his MD. He served with the RAMC in India in the Second World War and treated men who had been prisoners of war in Japanese hands. After the war he joined a practice in Perth. Kindly, helpful, sympathetic and a shrewd and accurate diagnostician, he was, if anything, too self-effacing.
He married in 1933; he and his wife had a son and daughter, but a third baby died. His wife died in 1971. In his latter years Peter lived quietly and played golf less and less. His grandchildren were a great joy. Always an avid reader, especially of Scots writers, he retained his clear recall and intelligence to the end of his life. He strove to understand more and more man's place in the scheme of things and was seldom absent from his pew on Sundays. He had a glorious sense of humour, tolerant and kindly.He died on 7th January 1990 aged 90 (obit BMJ).
Gleaned from CUPAR DOCTORS – and their families by David W W Hendry, 5 Eden Park, Cupar
Share with your friends: