Jim Craig (1936) died on 23rd February 2004 after a long illness. On leaving School, he became a painter and decorator. He joined Cupar Town Council service in 1953 as a painter and in 1960 he was appointed Town Officer for Cupar. When Local Government was reorganised in 1975, he became council officer and caretaker in the County Buildings, remaining in that post until he retired in 1986. He was for a time Chairman of the Scottish Region of the Council Officers' Association and he was also a member of the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, with which he served as a TA Sergeant, and of the British Legion. He is survived by his wife, 4 sons and a daughter.
James Craig (1941 approx) died in Dairsie in July1999.
Quentin Craig (1952) died at the beginning of 2004.
Robert Craig (1929) died very suddenly on 30th January, 1995 in Falkland. The Very Reverend Professor Craig became Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 1986, after a distinguished academic career, spent mostly in Africa, the United States and Israel.
He was a former Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Zimbabwe, Professor of Divinity at Natal University in South Africa and Professor of Religion at Smith College, Massachusetts.
He studied at St Andrews, graduating MA in 1938, BD with distinction in Systematic Theology in 1941 and PhD in 1950. He also studied under Reinhold Niebuhr and Paul Tillich at the Union Theological Seminary in New York.
In 1941 he became a member of the Iona Community and worked in churches in Clydebank and Dalmuir before becoming assistant at St John's Kirk in Perth.
During the war he served with Scottish infantry battalions as a Chaplain. He was mentioned in dispatches in Normandy in 1944.
When he retired from the University of Zimbabwe in 1980, he became the minister of St Andrews ‘Scots Church’ in Jerusalem, where he remained until 1985. He was appointed CBE n 1981.
He is survived by his Polish-born wife, Olga, and two children.
Harold N Cramond
Harold Cramond (1935 into 4th year) died on 13th January 2000, aged 80. On leaving school he joined the publishers D C Thomson, and became a sub-editor on the boys' paper, The Adventure. He was called up in 1939 and served with the Eighth Army in North Africa, where he attained the rank of Battery Sergeant Major. He returned to D C Thomson's after the war and joined the staff of The Beano, which he edited from 1959 until his retirement in 1984. He was responsible for the introduction of some of the famous characters of the publication such as Billy Whizz and Billy the Cat. He was a keen rugby player and a member of the Howe of Fife Club. He continued to live in Newport, where he was a member of Scotscraig Golf Club, and he also enjoyed hill-walking. His wife died in 1999, and he is survived by a daughter and a son.
William Crawford (1944) died in hospital on 28th August 2005 after a long illness. On leaving School, Billy began training as an apprentice electrician/plumber, but in 1947 he went into business with his father as a slater and plasterer. He did his National Service at RAF Leuchars from 1953-56. Thereafter he returned to the family business, which he later took over from his father. Billy played the double bass with Jack Suttie's and Jimmy Shand's bands, but he also played several other instruments. He also enjoyed fishing, golf, snooker and bowls. He and his wife (Audrey, née Smart - also an FP) retired to Falkland in 2001. He is survived by his wife and 2 daughters.
Kenneth Crichton of British Rail (who gifted a trophy to the school as a House award for the Senior Boys’ Cross-Country event) is very involved with Stirling County Rugby Club, whose 1994-95 season has been crowned with success. Kenneth won the High Jump trophy in 1960. Kenneth was among the speakers at the Howe of Fife Rugby Club 50th Anniversary Dinner in 1996 in his capacity as the Co-ordinator of Contracts for the SRU.
Kenneth, who started at BBHS around 1954, died in December 2000, after a long illness. He moved from Alyth to Ceres with his family when he was 10. After school he joined the firm of Graham and Sibbald to train as a Chartered Surveyor. It seems that he frequently appeared at the office wearing his Bell Baxter blazer with his Rugby badge. Rugby and his work with the firm remained the main interests of his life. He qualified in 1965 and in 1966 he moved to the Stirling office of the firm, becoming a partner in 1968 and managing partner in the 1990s. He continued to play rugby with Howe of Fife until 1969 and from then onwards his club was Stirling County with whom he played in the second row for 2 years, after which he become a coach. In 1976-77 the Club won the 7th Division Championship and from then on it was onwards and upwards. After serving as President of the Club in season 1981-82 he joined the Glasgow and District Union Committee, becoming Chairman in the 1990s. In 1993 he was co-opted on to the SRU General Committee. He was the chief negotiator in drawing up contracts with the players and agents. His dream of a Championship for Stirling County was finally realised in 1995. In addition to his involvement in the Rugby world, he was a Past President of Stirling Rotary Club, a former member of the Round Table and of the Junior Chamber of Commerce and a member of the Guildry of Stirling. Jim Telfer said of him that "he was one of the most honest rugby people I have ever met. He was a man of high principle who worked tirelessly for the Union". His name will be perpetuated in the School by the trophy which he donated and which is awarded each year for the Senior Boys' Cross Country event. Ken remained unmarried.
Gordon Croll was School Captain in Session 1966-67, Boys' Senior Sports Champion in 1967, High Jump Champion in 1966 and 1967, and Mile Champion in 1965, 1966 and 1967. His father, Mr Tom Croll, is also a former pupil, having attended the School in the 1930s. Gordon’s parents donated the Croll Trophy for the 1500 metres to the school in 1982 in memory of their son.
Dr Croll was a GP in Newburgh. He died tragically in his 30s.