According to a newspaper report, Margaret Crighton (née Lamb) (1955) is known as the Bag Lady of Scotlandwell! She has a large collection of carrier bags and achieved her moment of fame when she was interviewed by Fred MacAuley on his Radio Scotland morning show.
Tom Lamb, who entered first year in 1950, died on 29th May 1994. Tom was a native of Kingskettle and was married to Isobel Russell (Cupar). They had two sons. His career was with Customs and Excise, from which he retired in 1989 to pursue another career as painter, sculptor and writer. Following a chance encounter with sculptor George Wylie, he became a member of the Glasgow Group, exhibiting regularly in the McLellan Galleries and on the Continent. He published his writings through his own Fiducia Press. His humour and skills as a raconteur led to his being featured in the STV series "Kay's Originals" and subsequent film and video roles.
Elizabeth P J Lambert
Mrs Elizabeth Duncan entered BBS in 1936. After School she went into Secretarial work followed by Social Work.
BBHS 1958-63 and 1963-2006
At the start of the 2006 Christmas holidays a remarkable career in the School came to an end when Marie Lambert (1958) retired. Marie left fifth year on a Friday afternoon in1963 and started work in the School Office on the Monday morning and she has worked there ever since, becoming a pillar of the School and having in course of time become the Rector's Secretary. What Marie did not know about the School was scarcely worth knowing! Her help and advice was always given with a smile and was invaluable to generations of teachers and pupils alike.
Barbara Mary Iris Landale
Mrs Barbara Munro entered BBS in 1938. After School she attended Dunfermline College of Physical Education. She taught in Aberdeen (City and County), Glasgow and Stirlingshire.
George Lang died very suddenly in April 1993. Mr Lang farmed at Starr, and he is survived by his wife and three sons.
Trained as Secretary; Served in WRNS in Rosyth and London; Mrs Robertson, Ardlinn, Newburgh. Attended BBS in the 1930s.
Mary Law (1940s) was appointed MBE in the New Year's Honours List 2002 for her services to the community in Cupar. Mary has raised thousands of pounds for charity over many years as a result of her interest in flower arranging. She took up flower arranging in her 20s, while she was pursuing her career as a Primary School Teacher in Castlehill School. However, floral art became a full-time interest for her. She became Chairman of the National Association of Flower Arranging Societies of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and is also past Chairman of the Scottish Association. Over the past 23 years she has organised many fund raising events and has opened her garden one day every year, raising £27,000 for charity. She is also on the Committee of Cupar Business Association and has played a large rôle, with her husband Ronnie, in providing the Christmas lights in Cupar.
Mrs Rosemary Wotherspoon (1957) died in hospital on 17 June 2014 after a very short illness. Rosemary studied at Teacher Training College and taught in Kennoway to start her career. However, marriage followed very soon and she became ‘a minister’s wife’, serving as Guild president in each of her husband’s charges. Her husband’s ministry took them to Ayrshire, Ladybank and then briefly to Lisbon. The serious illness of one of the children forced an early return from Lisbon and they had a short spell in Edinburgh before they moved to the Borders. Her husband’s final charge before retirement was in Coatbridge. They moved back to Cupar, where Rosemary became an active member of the Inner Wheel of Rotary. She also greatly enjoyed an Art class, gardening and travelling. Rosemary is survived by her husband, two daughters and a son.
William Law (early 1940s) died in early February 2004 in South Africa. Shortly after he left school, he took over the running of the family saw-milling firm on the death of his father, until he went to Kenya in 1955. He returned later to Scotland and lived in Lanark until his wife died in 2001, when he moved back to South Africa where his daughter lives. A keen sportsman, he was Captain of the Howe of Fife Rugby team from 1952-54 and of Cupar Cricket Club 1st XI. He also played cricket for Fifeshire. Golf was another of his sports, and he was Steward, Secretary and Captain of Lanark Golf Club. He is survived by his 5 brothers and sisters and by his daughter.
Arthur Lawless died on 14th March 2002 in hospital in Glasgow. After leaving School, Arthur studied at Aberdeen University and at the United Free Church College in Edinburgh He served as a Home Missionary in Sandwick from 1953-1959, when he was appointed to Milnathort and Strathmiglo. He was a member of Stratheden Cricket Club. While living in Strathmiglo he studied for the Ministry of the United Free Church and was inducted to that charge in 1967. From there he moved to Partick in Glasgow, where he remained until he retired. He became Moderator of the Presbytery of Glasgow West in 1982 and was Moderator of the General Assembly of the United Free Church in 1988. He was very interested in the Scout movement and the Air Training Corps He is survived by his wife, one daughter and one son. Unfortunately there is nothing to indicate exactly when he attended Bell Baxter, but it would seem likely that it was in the mid 1940s.