Lindsay Morris (1943) died suddenly at home in February 2008. After School, Lindsay studied Chemistry at St Andrews University, graduating BSc and PhD. Shortly after that his son was born, and the family moved to the USA for two years. He returned to London where he worked for the Medical Research Council at Millhill. He was then ‘head-hunted’ by Unilever, where he joined the Research Department as an Organic Chemist at Colworth House in Bedfordshire. He was promoted to the stage of being on the Executive Committee. For around five years he worked in Rotterdam and then returned to Unilever House in London. He became Deputy Safety Officer for the whole company until he retired in 1989. At some point he graduated DSc but did not tell his family! He was at the time the youngest person in Scotland ever to be awarded this degree.
He became a keen mountaineer and a friend and close associate of the late Tom Weir. He was at one point invited to join the British Caucasus Expedition, the personnel of which was the same as the Everest Expedition of 1953, except for Sir Edmund Hilary, but he turned down the opportunity. When he had to give up mountaineering he turned to golf, and his enthusiasm for the game took him in retirement to Gatehouse-of-Fleet, where his house backed on to the golf course. He was Captain of the Club and then Treasurer after he was forced to give up the game. He was predeceased by his wife 4 years earlier and is survived by his son and two daughters.
(Contributed by his son David)
Lorna Morris, who was in sixth year in 2002, was sponsored by a local Rotary Club to take part in a course in Aberdeen exploring the opportunities available in the business world. She was intending to study Accountancy at University.
MA (St Andrews); taught in schools in Fife; Mrs Thos. Rodger, Mansfield Park, Cupar. Attended BBS in the early 1940s.
Alastair Morton (1945) retired from the Church of Scotland Ministry in 2000, having been Minister of Bowden linked with Newtown for a number of years. He was a Church of Scotland Missionary in Zambia from 1960-72, then Minister of Greyfriars Parish Church in Dumfries from 1973-77. From then until he went to the Borders, he was General Secretary of the Church of Scotland Department of Education.
James Morton entered first year in 1950. He qualified in Dentistry in Dundee then after 2 years in practice he returned to University to study medicine, qualifying first in Oral Surgery and then graduating MB ChB in 1964. He worked for 2 years in Liverpool before he took up a post as a GP in Auchtermuchty in 1974. He took early retirement in the mid-90s. His interests included singing - he was an active member of Cupar Choral Society and Auchtermuchty Church Choir - and he was interested in the work of Fife Society for the Blind. He had also been medical Officer of a Territorial Army Unit in Dundee. He had 2 daughters, one a PA in Paris, the other a physiotherapist at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. His son was a student at Glasgow University. James died in May 2000 in Australia, while on holiday with his wife on a visit to their daughter, Fionna. He suffered a heart attack while snorkelling off the Queensland coast.
Joseph C Mottram
Joseph Mottram of Cupar Muir was the Dux Medallist and winner of the Balgonie Gold Medal for Session 2000-01.
Ian Muir (1947) died very suddenly at home in mid-September 2005. On leaving School, Ian entered service with the Metropolitan Police and spent his whole career there until his retirement. He and his wife then returned to Fife. He is survived by his wife and two sons.
Mrs Margaret Orr (née Muir) (1940) died in a Nursing Home on 28th February 2010 after a long time of ill health. Margaret left School at the end of fourth year to join the WRNS where she worked with the meteorology section. Later she took up her studies and trained as a Primary School teacher at Dundee College of Education. Most of her career was spent in Auchtermuchty Primary School where she taught Primary 7. In Leslie she acted with the Leslie Theatre Group and in Cupar she played Principal Boy in one of Margaret Urquhart's musical productions. During the winter terms she took the 'Muchty School Drama Group during activities afternoons. She was a very active member of St John's Church in Cupar, where she was an Elder, a choir member and President of the Women's Guild. She continued to be active until ill health made it impossible. She was predeceased by her husband and is survived by her two sons.
A NORTH east Fife primary school's new garden has been dedicated to two local teenagers who lost their lives in tragic accidents.
Natalie Mulholland from Springfield died last August at the age of just 16 when she was struck by a train at the Cults Mill level crossing, while her cousin David Mulholland (17) was killed in a car crash on the A91 in November 2008.
Now the pair have a permanent memorial in the village in the shape of the new garden at Springfield Primary School, where both were pupils.
Members of the community attended the opening of the garden on Friday afternoon.
The decision to dedicate the garden to David and Natalie was made by the school's pupils and supporters of the project, and a plaque has been unveiled to remember the cousins.
David's mum, Pauline, said she was "really touched" by the gesture.
She told the Fife Herald: "I'm really happy that the garden will be dedicated to David and Natalie.
"Hopefully it will be a nice place for the children to sit with their thoughts.
"We first heard about the plans last year and we're really touched, especially as David and Natalie were older and the children there at the moment wouldn't really have known them."
Donald Gillespie, headteacher at Springfield Primary, said: "A lot of hard work has gone into this project by the children in the school, the Rotary Club, community services and local people who have supported Springfield Primary School.
"We would like to thank all those who have helped, and we encourage the whole community to use the garden too.
"We hope everyone will enjoy the garden and the children of the school will continue to work with the community to further develop the garden for many years to come."