1987 - 1992 Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry,
Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, Maryland
1988 - 1993 Assistant Professor of Psychiatry University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
1992 - 2002 Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry,
2002-present Adjunct Associate Professor of Psychiatry
Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, Maryland
1993 - 1999 Associate Professor of Psychiatry (full-time)
2000 - 2010 Clinical Associate Professor (part-time), Psychiatry
2010-present Clinical Professor (part-time)
University of Maryland School of Medicine
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY 1982 – 1988 Active Duty, United States Army (Augsburg, Germany; Heidelberg, Germany; San Antonio, Texas; Washington DC)
1988 – 1999 Full Time Faculty, University of Maryland School of Medicine
1999-present Part Time Faculty, University of Maryland School of Medicine
MD Sports Performance, Ellicott City, MD (www.mdsports.net)
2004 - 2005 Director of Training, Springfield Hospital Center, Sykesville, MD
1981–present American Psychiatric Association
1988-present Maryland Psychiatric Society
1995-2013 American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
2001–2010 International Society of Sports Psychiatry
1988–2010 American Society of Addiction Medicine
1986 - 1994 Society of American Military Psychiatrists
1988 - 1995 American Academy of Psychiatrists in
Alcoholism and Addictions (became AAAP)
1988 - 1999 Association for Medical Education and
Research in Substance Abuse
1988 - 2002 Medical Chiurgical Faculty of Maryland
2003 – 2005 Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology
1978 Meyer Award in Neurosurgery
University of South Alabama College of Medicine
1981 Chief Resident, Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
1982 Visiting Senior Resident Award (Columbia Presbyterian Hospital)
Eisenhower Army Medical Center
1984 Armed Forces Reserve Medal
1985 Overseas Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
1986 Meritorious Service Medal (1st OLC)
1988 Army Commendation Medal
1991 National Defense Service Medal
Army Commendation Medal (1st OLC)
Kuwait Liberation Medal
Combat Medical Badge
1992 Wendell Muncie Award
Maryland Psychiatric Society
1994 Military Psychiatry Teaching Award
Uniformed Services University Bethesda, Maryland
1994 Fellowship, American Psychiatric Association
1995 Baltimore Magazine's Top Doc in Addiction
The Best Doctors in America: SE Region
1995 Walter Weintraub Teacher of the Year Award
University of Maryland Psychiatry Residency Program
1997 Baltimore Magazine’s Top Doc in Addiction
1998 Best Doctors in America: SE Region
2000 Patricia McIntyre Outstanding Physician Award,
National Council on Alcoholism & Chemical Dependency-MD Chapter
2002 Baltimore Magazine’s Top Doc (Psychiatry)
Med Chi Distinguished Service Award (Chair of Addictions)
Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
2009 Best Doctors in America-National
2011 Virginia Huffer Post-Graduate Teaching Award
University of Maryland, Baltimore, Department of Psychiatry
2013 Best Doctors in Maryland, Baltimore Business Journal
INSTITUTIONAL SERVICE 1988 - 1996 Director, Division of Alcohol & Drug Abuse, Dept of Psychiatry
2002 – 2005 Director, Addiction & Community Psychiatry Fellowship Program
University of Maryland-Springfield Hospital Center LOCAL AND NATIONAL SERVICE
1985 - 1987 Principal Substance Abuse Advisor to the Medical Commander,
US Army Europe, Heidelberg, Germany
1985 - 1987 Army Psychiatric Contingency Team Leader: Participated in 5 missions including the Achille Lauro & Pan Am 73 Hijackings, Release of Father Lawrence Jenco, Chernobyl Disaster & the 101st Airborne Airline Crash
1988 - 1989 Addiction Medicine Consultant, Visiting Faculty Program in Psychiatry, Mead Johnson Pharmaceuticals
1989 - 2002 Oral Board Examiner, American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
1990 Review Course Faculty, American Society of Addiction Medicine
1991 - 1992 Member, Committee on Family & Generational Issues
1998 - 1999 American Society of Addiction Medicine
1993 Member, Program Planning Committee Psychiatry & Substance Abuse Annual Conference, Boston, MA, Amer Hospital Association
1993 Consultant, Dual Diagnosis Training Film
National Institute on Drug Abuse
1994 - 1996 Member, Committee on Veterans Affairs, Council on Psychiatric Services, American Psychiatric Association
1995 - 2003 Site Reviewer for Addiction Psychiatry Residency Accreditation
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
1995 - 1997 Speaker Bureau, DuPont Pharma
1996 - 2000 Member, Training & Education Committee, Council on Addiction Psychiatry, American Psychiatric Association
1996-present Team Psychiatrist & Mental Skills Trainer, MLB Baltimore Orioles and NFL Baltimore Ravens
1997 - 1999 Smoking Cessation Advisory Panel, Glaxo Wellcome
2003 – 2004 State Co-occurring Disorders Action Plan Reviewer
1988 - 2000 Reviewer, The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse
1989 - 2003 Reviewer, The Journal of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
1990 - 2000 Editorial Board, The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse
1994 - 1999 Center for Substance Abuse Treatment
Treatment Improvement Protocol Reviewer
1996 - 2003 Reviewer, Substance Abuse
1997 - 2002 Reviewer, Journal of Nervous & Mental Disease
1998 - 2003 Reviewer, American Psychiatric Press, Inc.
2014 – present Reviewer, International Journal of Sports Medicine
Conferences Organized and Directed (national and local)
1. Landry M.J., Smith D.E., McDuff D.R., and Baughman O.L. (1991) Anxiety and Substance Use Disorders: A Primer for Primary Care Physicians, The Journal of The American Board of Family Practice, 4:47-53.
2. Landry, M.J., Smith, D.E., McDuff D.R. and Baughman O.L. (1991) Anxiety and Substance Use Disorders: The Treatment of High Risk Patients, The Journal of The American Board of Family Practice 4:447-456.
3. Landry M.J, Smith D.E., McDuff D.R., and Baughman O.L. (1992)
Benzodiazepine Dependence and Withdrawal: Identification and Medical Management, The Journal of The American Board of Family Practice 5:167-176.
4. McDuff DR & Solounias BL. (1992) The Use of Brief Psychotherapy with Substance Abusers in Early Recovery, The Journal of Psychotherapy Practice & Research 1:1-8.
5. McDuff DR. (1992) Social Issues in the Management of Released Hostages, Hospital and Community Psychiatry 43:825-828.
6. Soderstrom CA, Dischinger PC, Smith G, McDuff DR, Hebel JR, & Gorelick DA. (1992) Psychoactive Substance Dependence Among Trauma Center Patients, The Journal of the American Medical Association 267:2756-2759.
7. McDuff DR & Johnson JL. (1992) Classification and Characteristics of Army Stress Casualities During Operation Desert Storm. Hosp & Community Psychiatry 43:812-815.
8. McDuff DR, Schwartz RP, Tommasello A, Tiegel S, Donovan T & Johnson JL. (1993) Outpatient Benzodiazepine Detoxification Procedure for Methadone Patients. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 10:297-302.
9. McDuff DR, Solounias BL, RachBeisel J & Johnson JL. (1994) Psychiatric Consultation with Substance Abusers in Early Recovery. Amer Journal of Drug & Alcohol Abuse 20(3):287-299
10. Schwartz R, Johnson J, McDuff DR, Bell L. (1995) Evaluation of Addictions Training for Psychiatric Residents. Substance Abuse 16:1-8.
11. Schwartz RP, White RK, McDuff DR, Johnson JL. (1995) Four Years Experience of a Hospital's Impaired Physician Committee. Journal of Addictive Diseases 14(2):13-21.
12. White RK, McDuff DR, Schwartz RP, Tiegel S, Judge C. (1996) New Developments in Employee Assistance Programs. Psychiatric Services 47:387-391.
13. McDuff DR, Solounias BL, Beuger M, Cohen A, Klecz M, & Weintraub E. (1997) A Substance Abuse Consultation Service: Enhancing the Care of Hospitalized Substance Abusers and Providing Training in Addiction Psychiatry. The American Journal on Addictions. 6:256-265.
14. Soderstrom CA, Smith GS, Dischinger PC, McDuff DR, Hebel JR, Gorelick DA, Kearns TJ, Ho SM, & Read KM. (1997) Psychoactive Substance Use Disorders Among Seriously Injured Trauma Center Patients Diagnosed Using a Standardized Interview, The Journal of the American Medical Association. 277:1769-1774.
15. Soderstrom CA, Dischinger PC, Smith GS, Hebel JR, McDuff DR, Gorelick DA, Kerns TJ, Ho SM, Read KM. (1997) Alcoholism At The Time of Injury Among Trauma Center Patients: Vehicular Crash Victims Compared With Other Patients, Accident Analysis & Prevention. 29:715-721
16. Soderstrom CA, Smith GS, Kufera JA, Dischinger PC, Hebel JR, McDuff DR, Gorelick DA, Ho SM, Kerns YJ & Read K. (1997) The Accuracy of CAGE, B-MAST, and AUDIT Questionaires in Screening Trauma Center Patients for Alcoholism, The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection & Critical Care. 43:962-969.
17. McDuff DR, Beuger M. (1997) Psychotherapy of Substance Abuse. Current Opinion in Psychiatry. 10:243-246.
18. Soderstrom CA, Dischinger PC, Kerns TJ Kufera JA, McDuff DR, Gorelick DA & Smith GS. (1998) Screening Trauma Patients for Alcoholism According to NIAAA Guidelines With Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test Questions, Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research 22:1470-1475.
19. DiPaula B, Tommasello A, Solounias B, & McDuff DR. (1998) An Evaluation of IV Ethanol in Hospitalized Patients, The Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 15:437-442.
20. Aszalos R, McDuff DR, Weintraub E, Montoya I, Schwartz R. (1999) Engaging Medically Ill Heroin Dependent Patients In Substance Abuse Treatment, The Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 17:149-158.
21. McDuff DR, Gandhi D, Weintraub E. (2000) A Substance Abuse Consultation Service & A Busy Trauma Center, Trauma Quarterly 14:429-443.
22. Martins S, Copersino M, Soderstrom C, Smith G, Dischinger P, McDuff D, Hebel J, Kerns T, Ho S, Read K, Gorelick D (2007) Risk of Psychoactive Substance Dependence Among Substance Users in a Trauma Inpatient Population. Jour of Addictive Diseases, 26(1):71-77.
23. Soderstrom CA, Auman K, Dischinger P, DiClemente C, Hebel JR, McDuff DR, Kufera JA. (2007) A Controlled Trial of Brief Intervention vs Brief Advice for At-Risk Drinking Trauma Center Patients. Journal of Trauma, Injury, Infection and Critical Care 62(5):1102-1112.
24. Martins S, Copersino M, Soderstrom CA, Smith G, Dischinger PC, McDuff DR, Hebel J, Kerns T, Ho S, Read K, Gorelick DA. (2007) Sociodemographic Characteristics Associated with Substance Use Status in a Trauma Inpatient Population. Journal of Addictive Diseases. 26(2):53-62.
25. McDuff D, Cohen M, Blais L, Stevenson W, McWilliams E (2008) Trauma Recovery Services For Psychiatric Inpatients. Journal of Psychological Trauma 7(1):1-15.