2. What is difference between outdoor and outdoors?
arcade, arch, beam, column, pillar
1. a covered passage, especially one with a roof supported by arches or with a row of shops on one
or both sides
2. a curved top on two supports, for example under a bridge or a church roof or above a door or
3. a large long heavy piece of wood, especially used as a part of the structure of a building
4. a tall solid upright stone post used in a building as a support or decoration or standing alone as
5. something tall, narrow and upright
flight, floor, level, storey
1. a floor or level in a building
2. a position of height in a city, building, etc.
3. a set of stairs
4. the part of a room, house etc. on which one walks
ladder, stairs, step
1. a number of fixed steps one above the other, on which one can go up or down a building, from
one level to another
2. an apparatus made especially two long pieces of wood, metal or rope, joined together by many
short pieces up which one climbs
3. each section of stairs
alcove, chamber, knob, poker, recess
1. a metal rod used to poke a fire in order to make it burn better
2. a room
3. a round handle or control button
4. a small space in the form of a small room added to another room for a bed, chair, books, etc.
5. a space in the wall of a room for shelves, cupboards, etc.
lavatory, restroom, sink, towel
In the word list, lavatory is synonymous to _____. A sink is in the kitchen; when it is in the bathroom, it is called a _____. The sort of towel that is sold in small boxes and used for cleaning is used _____ towel.
pipe, plumber, sewage, sewer, tank, tap
1. The verb form of the word pipe is _____.
2. The verb form of the word plumber is _____.
3. The system which drains sewage is called sewage _____ system.
4. A sewer system is called a _____ system.
5. A committee of experienced people is called a _____ tank.
6. In the sentence His phone is being tapped, the verb tap means _____.
C. AREAS AROUND AND NEAR HOUSES
1. He is a _____ estate agent.
2. A structure similar to patio is a t_____.
accommodate, dwell, inhabit, reside, settle
1. The committee is providing _____ for the participants. ACCOMMODATE
2. They discovered an ancient _____ in the middle of the island. DWELL
3. The _____ of the island protested against the traffic system. INHABIT
4. The _____ held a demonstration is the area. RESIDE
5. They are setting up a new _____ near the city. SETTLE