6. In coastal areas where there is an abundance of fish, the fishing industry prospers. A) more than sufficient quantity
B) a wide variety
C) a unique type
D) a common diet
7. A backyard swimming pool can be a hazard for small children.
8. She has written a new, comprehensive book.
9. My students think I am odd.
10. Oil is one of the principal sources of energy.
A) most expensive
B) most important
C) most difficult
D) most popular
23. DOING THINGS
A. BEING, BECOMING, AND HAPPENING
1. I'm glad to state that today the smallpox disease is __________. We've won the battle against it.
2. One view __________ among astronomers is that the moon was once a part of the Earth.
appear, look like, seem
1. In the Victorian times, it was forbidden for women to __________ on the theatre stage.
2. It _________ it is going to rain.
3. What does your cousin _________ ?
attribute, quality, trait
1. School kills creativity and free-choice, both __________ essential for a genius.
2. The idea of the United Nations is __________ to the US President Roosevelt.
3. Those items that fail the __________ control are sent to a separate section of the plant.
1. Appearance = emergence, s _ _ _ ing
2. State = condition, cir _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ces
- What is the difference between character and personality?
1. __________ type of films do you like?
2. This is typical __________ him! He is late again!
example, exemplify, instance, sample, specimen
1. Study example and instance.
2. Study sample and specimen.
3. Exemplify = ty _ _ fy
1. Embody (v) __________ (n)
2. Realize (v) __________ (n)
essence, fact, truth
- This is not _________ essence a book for KPDS and YDS only. As a ___________ of fact, it is for multiple-choice type questions. To tell you _________ truth, even those who prepare for general purpose English can benefit from it.
1. False (adj) __________ (v)
2. Fiction X _ _ _ fiction
actual, concrete, fake, real, virtual
1. Actual = true, ab _ _ _ _ te
2. Concrete = actual, s _ _ _ _ d
3. Fake = false, counter _ _ _ _
4. Real = actual, ge _ _ _ ne
5. Virtual = essential, imp _ _ _ _ _
1. Apparent (adj) __________ (v)
2. Imaginary (adj) __________ (v)
become, happen, occur, take place
1. What does become mean in the sentence "Being a mother becomes her" ?
2. Study the difference: happen, occur, take place.
1. Adventure = venture, jeo _ _ _ _ _
2. Study the difference: arise, rise, raise.
affair, circumstance, event, incident, phenomenon
Be careful: phenomenon (n-singular), phenomena (n-plural)
1. I'm afraid her husband has a revolting __________ with his secretary.
2. In any __________, we will have to sell the car.
3. It was through an unfortunate __________ that we realized how bad a person he was.
4. Total eclipse of the Sun is a natural __________.
5. Under these __________, there is no point in going any further.
catastrophe, disaster, holocaust, trouble
1. Study the difference: catastrophe and chaos.
2. Study the difference: disaster and holocaust.
3. Study the difference: trouble and problem.
act, behave, perform, react, respond
1. Act (v, n) _________ (n)
2. Behave (v) _________ (n)
3. Perform (v) _________ (n)
4. React (v) _________ (n)
5. Respond (v) _________ (n)
1. Study the difference: practise, practice and exercise?
2. Repeat (v) _________ (n) _________ (adj)
active, activity, deed, function
1. Active X _ _ active
2. Activity = movement, per _ _ _ mance
3. Deed = act, accomp _ _ _ _ ment
4. Function = purpose, d _ _ _
inert, listless, passive
1. Inert (adj) _________ (n)
2. Listless (adj) _________ (n)
3. Passive (adj) _________ (n)
1. labour, drudgery
2. movement, activity, behaviour
flourish, manage, prosper, succeed
1. Study the difference between flourish and prosper.
2. Study the difference between manage and succeed.
1. Excel (v) _________ (adj)
2. Improve X decline, dete _ _ _ _ _ te
accomplish, achieve, attain
1. Accomplish (v) _________ (n)
2. Achieve (v) _________ (n)
3. Attain (v) _________ (n)
execute, fulfil, implement
1. He is the chief ___________ of a company. EXECUTE
2. People find ___________ in working together. FULFIL
3. Speedy __________ of the plan is of vital importance. IMPLEMENT
accept, agree, transact, undertake
1. The __________ of the proposal plan came as a real relief! ACCEPT
2. There is full __________ between the two parties. AGREE
3. Legal ___________ in a state-controlled system are rather cumbersome. TRANSACT
4. This is a great ___________. UNDERTAKE
- Study the difference: refuse, reject, deny.
1. Study the difference between avoid and prevent.
2. Evasion = _ _ _ _ _ _ fuge
attempt, endeavour, strive, vigour
1. The athlete was able to qualify for the finals in his third __________.
2. These problems were discussed with great __________.
3. They have __________ for freedom for years.
4. We must wish him good luck in his __________.
aid, assist, subsidy, try
1. "The car won't work!" "Shall I give it another __________?"
2. Doctor Peterson will __________ me during the operation.
3. It appears that the Municipality has wasted the ____________.
4. We provide financial __________ to several countries.