Teacher explains the concept and objectives of store management. Students identify the importance and function visit to a typical store in their locality.
COMPONENTS OF STORE MANAGEMENT
- Characteristics of store management
- Customer services:- meaning, types and benefits.
Explain and discuss characteristics, meaning, types and benefits of the topic.
Students participate in the discussion.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS OF MANAGEMENT AS THEY RELATE TO STORE MANAGEMENT
Planning/organizing – meaning and benefits
- Leading/directing and controlling meaning and benefit
- Staffing – meaning/stages involve in staff recruitment
Discusses the functions of management,
illustrates functions with examples in the
Student environment. Students participate
in the discussion and ask questions.
Visit a typical store that operate base on
- Meaning/factors that affect store establishment
- Competition and types of business.
- Size of business
List points to consider as factors in establishing a store and discuss them,
Students take note of the explanation and also participate in the discussion.
Charts showing factors to be considered in establishing a store.
- Security and capital
- Source of supply.
INTRODUCTION TO RETAILING AND WHOLESALING
- Concept of retailing :- meaning and functions.
- Factors to be considered in setting up a trade
- Types of retail trade
Teacher discusses concept, functions and types of retailing.
Students note explanation and participate.
MODERN TREND IN RETAILING
- Self-service and branding
- Automatic vending
- Pre-packaging and e-retail sales
Teacher defines each modern trend in retailing, discusses each of them.
Students participate and attempt identifying the differences. Visit to a standard store or organization where self-service, branding, automatic vending, etc is in operation.
CONCEPT OF WHOLESALER
- Meaning of wholesaling and wholesaler
- Functions of a wholesaler to the manufacturer and retailer.
- Types of wholesaler.
Teacher discusses and defines concept, types, and function of wholesaling
Students note and participate in the discussion.
INTRODUCTION TO WARE HOUSE
- Meaning of ware housing and ware house, and types of ware house.
- Importance of ware house.
- Problems that affect the siting of ware house
Teacher defines and discusses meaning, types and importance of ware house. Students participate by identifying the importance of ware house.
Visit a typical ware house in your locality
or take a trip.
- Meaning and means of
transportation:-land, water, air and
- Land – benefits and problems
- Water – benefits and problems
Discuss and list the different means of transportation, their benefits and problems.
Students participate and ask questions.
Take a trip to any airport, seaport etc.
Charts showing types transportation.
- Air and pipeline - benefits and
- Factors that determine the means
of transportation: cost, risk,
- Documents used in the various
means of transportation – Airway
bill, bill of lading, etc.
Teacher discusses and list various documents used for transportation Students participate and ask questions. Documents used in various means of
transportation e.g. bus ticket, airway bill, bill of lading, etc.
SS 1 SECOND TERM
REVISION AND INTRODUCTION TO STOCK
- Revision of first term examination
- Stock control – meaning of stock, control and reasons for holding stock,
- Types of stock:
i) Work in progress
ii) Consumable materials
iii) Finished goods
Teacher revises last term work and
explain the meaning of stock and stock
control, reason for holding stock and
types of stock.
Students listen, note and ask questions.
Past question paper, charts showing
types of stock.
TYPES OF STOCK
- Maintenance materials and components
- Types of stock record – bin card, stock card
- Stock requisition form, purchasing and the issuing procedure.
List/explain different types of stock records students note and draw different stock records.
Stock records – stock card, bin card, stock list
METHODS OF STOCK CONTROL:
- Manual method:
i) Perpetual method
ii) Periodic method
- Benefits and problems of each.
- Continuous stock tally:
i) Computerized methods
ii) Meaning, benefits and problems
- Stock accounting and verification:
purpose, procedure and reason for stock discrepancies.
Teacher discusses different methods of stock control, takes students to computerize store. Discusses stock accounting, verification, purpose, procedure and reasons for discrepancies. Chart showing procedure for stock accounting and verification.
LEVELS OF STOCK CONTROL
- Maximum level – benefits and problems-Minimum level – benefits and problems Reorder levels – benefits and problems- First in first out (FIFO) – benefits and problems, factors to be considered.
List and describe different levels of stock, explain benefits and problems.
Students participate in listing the benefits and problems.
METHOD OF ISSUING STOCK
- Last – In – First – Out (LIFO) – meaning and benefit
- Problems of LIFO
- Factors to be considered.
List ways of issuing stock and explain them.
Students listen and ask questions
INTRODUCTION TO PRICING
- Meaning and objectives
- Types of pricing method:
i) market skimming
ii) product line and their benefit and
- Factors influencing pricing decision
Teacher explains pricing, state and describes types of pricing.
Students participate in the discussion of types of pricing.
List prices on cardboard paper.
- 1.Mark-up and mark-down : - benefits, problems, and
- a)Target on return pricing and
- b)Variable pricing - benefits and problems.
- 2. Organizational policy
- a) Meaning of organizational policy
- b) Characteristics of policies.
- 3 Policy decision
- a) on employment
- b) Customer services
- c) Code of conduct
Teacher list the method benefits and problems of pricing and explain each of them. Teacher gives and explain the meaning of organizational policy. Students listen and ask questions.
Chart showing code of conduct characteristics of policies.