George Huntington Hartford (September 5, 1833 - August 29, 1917) founded The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company in 1859 with George Gilman in Elmira, New York.
Hartford died on August 29, 1917, aged 84, and was interred at Rosedale Cemetery, in Orange, New Jersey. Hartford’ s estate was worth $125 million dollars.
By 1878, A&P had grown to seventy stores stretching from many New England cities to Buffalo, Cleveland, and Milwaukee.
This same year George Gilman retired and GHH took on the position of mayor for Orange, New Jersey.
The Huntington Hartford mansion was on Ridge Street.
Wiliam Colgate Samuel Colgate
In 1783 at age 12, William C. Colgate, the eldest of five brothers, came to America with his father when
the family was forced to flee their home near Seven Oaks in Kent, after his father agitated for parliamentary reform.
As an adult, William C. Colgate was interested in ministerial education and a member of the First Baptist
Church in New York City. William C. Colgate made his fortune with an almost undisputed control of the soap and candle market during the War of 1812. Samuel Colgate
Birthdate: March 22, 1822
Birthplace: New York City, New York County, New York, United States
Death: Died April 23, 1897 in Orange, Essex County, New Jersey, United States
In The Colgate Family, German immigrant Johannes Oertel—an able painter, engraver, and art teacher—painted a portrait that presented a hopeful vision for the future of his adopted country. Oertel showed in this comfortable interior that the prospects of the United States, which had suffered great destruction and loss of life during the Civil War, rested upon a new generation of strong young men.
The portrait depicts a wealthy manufacturer and his family in their Orange, New Jersey, mansion. Samuel Colgate is shown here with his wife, Elizabeth (niece of the artist and inventor Samuel F. B. Morse [48.455]), and their four sons, who range in age from three to twelve. A portrait of Colgate’s father, William, overlooks the family from the wall above the fireplace. Colgate entertains his youngest son with an improvised hand puppet, while Elizabeth sits thoughtfully with her knitting in her lap. The two youngest boys wear dresses of the type worn by all small children, while Gilbert, at age seven, is old enough to be clothed in the comfortable knickers worn by boys. The oldest son, Richard, sitting on the carpet, is attired in the cadet uniform of a military academy. These young boys not only create a scene of happy family life, but by their vitality also forecast the nation’s return to health and prosperity.
Samuel Prescott Bush
October 4, 1863
Brick Church, Orange, Essex County, New Jersey, U.S.
February 8, 1948 (aged 84)
Green Lawn Cemetery
President George H. W. Bush (grandson)
President George W. Bush (great-grandson)
Rev. James Smith Bush (June 15, 1825 – November 11, 1889) was an attorney, Episcopal priest, and religious writer, and an ancestor of the Bush political family. He was the father of business magnate Samuel Prescott Bush, grandfather of former US Senator Prescott Bush, great-grandfather of former US President George H. W. Bush and great-great-grandfather of former US President George W. Bush. First marriage
His first wife, Sarah Freeman, lived in Saratoga Springs. They married in 1851, but she died 18 months later during childbirth. This prompted Bush to study divinity with the rector of the Episcopal church there. Ordained a deacon in 1855, he was appointed rector at the newly organized Grace Church in Orange, New Jersey
John Crosby Brown (1838 – June 25, 1909) was a partner in the investment bank Brown Bros. & Co., which was founded by his father James Brown and his uncles in Orange, NJ, the sons of Alexander Brown of Baltimore.
John Crosby Brown was born in New York City on May 22, 1838, the son of James Brown and Eliza Maria Coe. James Brown was a well known banker, founder of the family company Brown Brothers & Co in Orange, NJ.
John Crosby Brown was educated privately as a child, and graduated from Columbia University in 1859. He had intended to enter the ministry, but the loss of the family on the Arctic obliged him to join the family business instead. He traveled following graduation, then began his work at different branches of the family business. He became a partner at the main office in New York in 1864. In the financial world, Brown drew the admiration of men like J.P. Morgan for his honesty.
Brown married Mary Elizabeth Adams in the early 1860's.
The Browns established a summer home in Brighthurst, (Orange) New Jersey, where they built a sprawling forty acre estate on Orange Mountain. Their social circle in New Jersey included civil war general and governor of New Jersey General George McClellan In his personal life, Brown had many interests. He served on the Board of education of Orange, NJ. HE DIED JUNE 25, 1909, IN ORANGE MOUNTAIN HOUSE, NEW JERSEY.
Birth: 11 August 1885, Orange, NJ The history of Bryn Mawr’s role as a leader in social work education begins with two women: Emma Carola Woerishoffer, AB 1907, and M. Carey Thomas, Bryn Mawr’s second president (from 1894-1922). Woerishoffer’s extraordinarily generous bequest of $750,000 (more than $14 million in today’s dollars) provided the resources with which Thomas could realize her vision of providing graduate social work education at Bryn Mawr.
Woerishoffer, a wealthy young woman from ORANGE, New JERSEY, came to the College as an undergraduate in 1903 and in her four years on campus took all of the advanced classes in economics, philosophy, politics, and psychology. After graduating, she involved herself in social causes, especially on behalf of women laborers and the Women’s Trade Union League in New York. In 1909, she became a factory worker for four months to understand better the problems and needs of women workers. In the same year she played a key role in the “shirtwaist strike,” providing bail for hundreds of garment workers who had been arrested for protesting their working conditions. When the Bureau of Industries and Immigration was established in 1910, Woerishoffer went to work on its behalf, inspecting conditions in the camps of foreign workers and recommending improvements. In 1911, while she was returning home from an inspection tour of immigrant labor camps undertaken for the New York Department of Labor, her car skidded on a muddy curve and plunged over an embankment. She was badly injured and died the next day. In her will, which she had made her senior year, Woerishoffer left $750,000 to the College, the largest gift in Bryn Mawr history at that time, and asked that it be used by the trustees “so that others may be prepared for social work as I have been.”
Charles Fletcher Inventor
invented Fletchers Castoria
Seven n Oaks Park, Berkley Avenue Resident
Charles Henry Fletcher died Sunday April 9, 1922 in Orange, N.J. Charles Henry Fletcher (aka Chas. H. Fletcher in company advertising) organized and led The Centaur Company, makers of the eponymous "Fletcher's Castoria", serving as President and General Manager. The largest yacht in the world driven by motor power was launched yesterday at Charles L. Seabury Co.'s shipyard at Morris Heights, in the presence of the owner, Charles H. Fletcher, and a number of friends who had been invited to see the new pleasure vessel take the water.
Independent Pleasure Club Location: Orange, New Jersey
Nickname: “The Independents,” “The Big Six”
Manager: Nelson Frye The Independent Pleasure Club was formed in 1908 in Orange, New Jersey at a time when the practice of sports was seen as a “pleasure” activity. To avoid restrictions on their activities or game schedules by outside parties or governing bodies, the club remained independent, that is, they avoided affiliations with churches, Y.M.C.A.s, schools, or Amateur Athletic Union chapters. The basketball team of the Independent Pleasure Club was one of the top African American squads in the East through the mid-1910s. After defeating the Alpha Big Five and the Smart Set in the 1912-13 season, the “Independents,” also known as the “Big Six,” were awarded the Colored Basketball Championship of New Jersey. Like many other black fives of that era, the Independents—whose literature advocated, “uplifting the colored athletic standard”.
William K. Vanderbilt Jr. (1878-1944) was the great-grandson of Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt, who built a transportation empire in shipping and railroads.
At the age of only 26, William K. Vanderbilt Jr. proposed the first international road race to be held in the United States by donating the Vanderbilt Cup. Vanderbilt Wins Hill Climb Contest On Thanksgiving Day 1903, Vanderbilt took his 60-hp Mors to Orange, New Jersey, and won the Eagle Rock Hill Climbing Contest. He broke the record time for the steep, curvy, one-mile hill. After his victory, crowds surrounded Vanderbilt, who wore a fur coat to protect against the wind while driving.
Oakwood Avenue School was a segregated school in 1957. Ernest and Margaret Thompsonof Orange New Jersey became aware of a map showing how city schools were gerrymandered. That gave ammunition for a successful fight for school desegregation.
Acquired by Burroughs Adding Machine Co. in 1909.Operated as a division of Burroughs 1909-11. Pike offered both manual and electric models. Waldstein, M. E. Chemist. Born October 18, 1854, New York City. Son of Henry Waldstein. Educated in Columbia College School of Mines. Ph. D., 1875, Heidelberg. Head of Atlantic Chemical Works. Has written various chemical articles
Residence: Orange, N. J. lsrael, Solomon. Appointed Cantor of Congregation AgudathAchim Anshe Orange, 258 Main Street, Orange, N. J. Whistler, James McNeill, London. & Paris Art Show
1634. Black Lion Wharf.
(Lent by George W. Bramhall, Orange, N. J.) Builder: Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co., Inc
Hillside Presbyterian Church Pipe Organ, Orange, N.J.
In 1857 Lucy Stone and Henry Blackwell moved to a small farm in Orange, NJ. she. refused to pay her taxes and wrote her famous protest to the tax collector. This letter was published in the press at the time some of her effects were sold at a tax sale. Orange, N. J.
Mr. Mandeville, Tax Collector,
For years some women have contrary to our theory of government been paying their taxes under protest but still taxes are imposed and representation is not granted. The only course now left us is to refuse to pay the tax. We know well what the immediate result of this refusal must be .But we believe that when the attention of men is called to the wide difference between their theory of government and its practices in this particular, they cannot fail to see the mistake they now make by imposing taxes on women, while they refuse them the right of suffrage, and that the sense of justice which is in all good men, will lead them to correct it.
Then shall we cheerfully pay our taxes---not till then.Respectfully
Seven Oaks Park Seven Oaks Park 193-?-2001.
Forms part of:
Garden Club of America Collection,
Garden featured in "Un Jardin En Orange: Property of Mr. William P. Breeding," in Casas Y Jardines, October 1944, 450.
This beautiful walled garden, with a European feeling, gives privacy on a small corner lot. "The surounding walls were built up with reddish brown sandstone taken from demolished buildings. The coping that finished the low walss is machine-made bricks laid to form a toothlike patern of terracotta over the stone." ("A Garden of Orange") Majolica serves as decoration when the flowers have passed their months of blooming. Originally developed in the 1930s, the garden retains much of its original atmosphere. Although the garden is very formal in design, the addition of putti sitting on the walls gives a feeling of whimsey.
Persons associated with the garden include: William P. Breeding (former owner, 1930-?); and Ethelbert E. Furlong (landscape architect, 1930-1933).
Subject - Geographical:
Seven Oaks Park (Orange, New Jersey)
United States of America New Jersey Essex County Orange
Smithsonian Gardens, PO Box 37012, Capital Gallery, Suite 3300, MRC 506, Washington, DC 20013-7012
Local Number: NJ294000
Breeding, William P., former owner.
Furlong, Ethelbert Ely, d. 1993, landscape architect.
McKim, Mead & White was a prominent American architectural firm that thrived at the turn of the twentieth century. The firm's founding partners were Charles Follen McKim (1847–1909), William Rutherford Mead (1846–1928) and Stanford White (1853–1906). They hired many other architects, partners, associates, designers and draftsmen, who came to prominence during or after their time at the firm.
The firm's New York City buildings include Manhattan's former Pennsylvania Station, the Brooklyn Museum, and the main campus of Columbia University. Elsewhere in New York State and New England, the firm designed college, library, school and other buildings such as the Boston Public Library and Rhode Island State House. In Washington, D.C., the firm renovated the West and East Wings of the White House, and designed Roosevelt Hall on Fort Lesley J. McNair and the National Museum of American History. Across the United States, the firm designed buildings in Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Wisconsin. Other examples are in Canada, Cuba and Italy.
McKim and Mead joined forces in 1872. They were joined in 1879 by White, who, like McKim, had worked for architect Henry Hobson Richardson. Their work applied the principles of Beaux-Arts architecture, the adoption of the classical Greek and Roman stylistic vocabulary as filtered through the Parisian École des Beaux-Arts, and the related City Beautiful movement after 1893 or so. Its vision was to clean up the visual confusion of American cities and imbue them with a sense of order and formality during America's Gilded Age.
The firm retained its name long after the death of founding partners White (1906), McKim (1909), and Mead (1928)
Among the firm's final works under the name McKim, Mead & White was the National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.
Mead Mc Kim and White Structures Harvard Club of New York
Madison Square Garden II
Pennsylvania Station, New York (Destroyed)
Pennsylvania Station, Newark, New Jersey
Orange Public Library
Johnston Gate, Harvard University
Last Slave In Orange, New Jersey
New York Times Article, August 1884
Tory Corner. Orange,--on Tuesday night, Aug. 1884.
He was the last of the old slaves of Essex County, and died of old age and a complication of troubles.
Uncle Anthony, as all his neighbors called him was a tall, powerfully built man of great strength and endurance. His great- grandmother was the queen of an African tribe and his grandmother, when a young girl, was stolen, with a number of others, by a slave trader and brought to this country.
Uncle Anthony was born in Raritan, Somerset Co., in 1798, his mother being a slave in the family of Rev. Dr. Philip Duryee, pastor of the Dutch Reformed Church of that place.
Two of Dominie Duryee's grandsons, John G. and Joseph D. Harrison, are now living and carry on the flour and feed business at No. 502 Broad Street, Newark.
While Uncle Anthony was a baby, Dominie Duryee sold out and removed to Little Falls (now Passaic County), and Anthony's mother was sold to one David Still, Anthony being sold with her.
About a year after Anthony and his mother were sold to Samuel M. Ward, of Crane town (now Montclair.) They lived with Mr. Ward until the latter's death, in 1822.
In his will Mr. Ward gave Anthony his freedom, but requested he should remain with Mrs. Ward until her death. She died in September, 1828, and Anthony, being then twenty-four years of age, was his own master.
His mother was too old to begin life anew, and was a town charge.
In those days the poor were sold off to whoever bid the lowest price for taking care of them.
Anthony, though he was just starting out in life bought his mother for one hundred dollars, took her home and cared for her until her death in a most filial and kindly manner.
In 1828 he moved to Orange and bought a little place on Washington Street. He lived there till 1833, when he bought the place where he ended his days.
NY Times Interview of Uncle Anthony Thompson
These butter churns were made by the Culinary Manufacturing Company of Orange, New Jersey. Later advertisements showed the company being located in Newark, New Jersey. The insert that came with these churns called them the E. Z. Two Minute Combination Household Churn. They were endorsed by the Good Housekeeping Institute, Ladies Home Journal, Women's World and the New York Tribune Institute. They were advertised as being able to make butter in two minutes as well as merge milk and butter. Pictured from left to right are a one, two and four quart churn. Advertisements also listed a three quart size and one newspaper article mentioned a three gallon and five gallon size. A 1917 hardware catalog listed the prices as 85 cents for the one quart, $1.18 for the two quart, $1.65 for the three quart and $2.10 for the four quart. The glass jars are not embossed with the quart size. On the two and four quart butter churns the glass jars are embossed;
CULINARY MFG. CO.
The one quart jar has no embossing at all. The paddles on these butter churns are a wavy, single piece of seasoned white maple wood. The one quart has four holes drilled in it and the two and four quart size have six holes. The gears on these butter churns are not steel (a magnet will not stick to them) and one will often find these tops with the large gear broken. The Culinary Manufacturing Company also advertised a metal container butter churn in a three and five gallon size.
This original building still stands. It was formerly Coquelle's Bakery.
Slack & Co
Orange, NJ, USA (1860 - 1898). Stephen Slack (b. England 1837, d. Orange 1908). Joseph Waterhouse (1860-1865), Charles Booth (1870-1875), Isaac Baldwin (1880s). Stained Glass manufacturer & design. Merit award for works exhibited at US Centennial. International Exhibition in Philadelphia (1876). Many installations still extant throughout the US. S. Slack & Company Windows in Battell Chapel, Yale University.
Henry Martin Gasser (1909–1981)
Chronology1909 Born in Newark, New Jersey
1930 Marries wife Joan
1940s Stationed in South Carolina at Camp Croft, becomes a sergeant in the Visual Aid Unit of the United States Army
1946–54 Serves as director at Newark School of Fine and Industrial Art
1948 Elected associate membership to the National Academy of Design
1950 Elected Academician of the National Academy of Design
1953 Elected vice-president of the National Academy of Design and the American Water Color Society, publishes Oil Paintings: Methods and Demonstrations; invited to teach as guest instructor at San Jose State College in California
1957 Elected as fellow of The Royal Society of Arts
1959 Publishes Techniques of Painting the Waterfront 1963 Publishes Techniques of Picture Making 1981 Dies in Orange, New Jersey
The Founding of the Servants School
Michael Winter Wolfgang Winter
The Orange Brewery in Orange, New Jersey was a brand new brewing facility whose construction began in 1901 and was completed in April, 1902, with the formal opening taking place on July 17 of that year.
Michael Winter, formerly of Pittsburgh, was the owner. He, along with his two brothers, Wolfgang and Aloysius, originally came to America from Bayern, Germany in 1873, and soon settled in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
In 1883 the three brothers began their brewing business in that city under the name of The M. Winter Brothers Brewing Company. In 1899 they sold this highly successful business to the Pittsburgh Brewing Company, and in 1901 Michael and Wolfgang Winter, fresh from the sale of their Pittsburgh brewery, removed their residences from Pittsburgh to Orange, New Jersey in order to start construction on their new brewing venture, known as The Orange Brewing Company.
The Orange Brewery was designed by Chicago architect and engineer Oscar Beyer, and was built at a cost to Michael Winter of $350,000. It was located on the corner of Hill and Prince Streets in Orange, New Jersey on a site comprising an area of 190 by 490 feet. The main plant building was seven stories in height and constructed of brick, with roofs of tile, and trim ornamentations of blue stone. The plant and machinery were powered by electricity and steam.
Adjoining the main brew-house was the machine-house, which had a water distilling facility for ice making. The ice making factory, located at the rear of the main building, was equipped with two ice making machines…one of thirty-five tons and the other of one hundred tons capacity. There was also a bottling house on-site which was separate from the main plant building, which also housed the Business Office. Daily operations at the brewery were capably handled by Mr. William F. Wurster, the Superintendent of the brewery. He was from Stuttgart, Germany and had previously served as the President of the United States Brewmasters Association. The plant capacity was 100,000 barrels-per-year, with much of the finished product being shipped throughout the region by railcar. The enterprise produced a Pilsener Beer, an Ale, a Porter style beer, and also a brew they called Export Beer. Perhaps there were also some other varieties, but this has yet to be determined. The product was available in many local Essex County area pubs and taverns, as well as bottled delivery by horse-drawn wagons (and later by motor truck) to one’s own front doorstep.
Under Stetson's direction, The John B. Stetson Company became one of the largest hat firms in the world. Stetson hats won numerous awards, but his company grew, he "faced the challenge of developing a reliable labor force."  Reportedly, "people working in the hat trade at that time tended to drift from employer to employer" and "absenteeism was rampant."  Stetson, "guided by Baptist religious principles, believed that by providing for his employees he would lend stability to their lives and attract higher caliber ones."  Unlike most other employers, Stetson decided to offer benefits to entice workers to stay. Stetson also made sure his employees had a clean, safe place to work, also building a hospital, a park and houses for his 5,000 employees
Henry Stetson Dies
FLOWER SHOW AT ORANGE, N.J.; Auspicious Opening of Floricultural Society's Exhibition -- School Children's Treat -- Officers and Patronesses.
ORANGE, N.J., Nov. 7, 1895 -- The first annual flower show of the New-Jersey Floricultural Society was opened this afternoon in the tennis building of the Orange Athletic Club and was visited by many to-night. It will be continued to-morrow and Friday afternoon and evening
House Beautiful Show House of 1947.
Seven Oaks, Orange, New Jersey
August 25, 1899 New York Times Wedding Announcement Orange, NJ. August 24 – Miss Amy Brighthurst Brown, youngest daughter of J. Crosby Brown, and Henry Moorhead De Forst, were married this afternoon at Brighthurst, the residence of the bride's parents, on the Orange Mountain. On account of the illness of the bride's mother, only the families of the bride and bridegroom were present. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Edward Caldwell Moore of Providence, RI, the bride's brother-in-law. Miss May Brown, the bride's sister, was the maid of honor, and John De Forest, brother of the bridegroom, was the best man. The bride wore a gown of white moire antique and point lace, which was her mother's wedding dress.
From the Independent.
Published: April 23, 1865
We have been visiting a piece of large-patterned workmanship, reminding us of the project of the ancient architect to carve Mount Athos into a statue of a king, holding a city in his right hand, and a basin of rivers in his left: we refer to the unique, beautiful, and romantic Llewellyn Park, at Orange, New-Jersey -- once a rough, shaggy mountain side, now transformed into an enchanted sound, or fairy land.
Nine or ten years ago, Mr. LLEWELLYN S. HASKELL -- whose business was that of a New-York merchant, and whose pastime that of an architect in landscapes -- bought a wild tract of mountainous land, about as large as Central Park, or as large as that portion of New-York which lies below Canal-street; covered with thick woods, and tenanted by robin red breasts and gray squirrels; puzzling the neighbors by the apparent, unreasonableness of such a purchase, inasmuch as everybody asked Bulwer's question, "What will he do with it?" But this tract of land consisted of a series of natural terraces, ascending by easy gradations, from the level of the village roads below, up to a summit seven hundred feet high -- affording from every terrace a beautiful and unobstructed view of a wide and varied landscape reaching into the distance -- while, for a near view, the tract itself was threaded by mountain streams, pierced with picturesque ravines, rimmed and ribbed with rocks, monumented with venerable trees as old as the Pilgrim Fathers, and altogether diversified with a beautiful brokenness of scenery such as defies an adequate description -- all rendered doubly attractive, not because of that poetic distance which lends enchantment to the view, but of that actual nearness which located this handsome spot within naked sight of our own Trinity spire, and within sixty minutes of the Merchants' Exchange.
It needed only the cunning handicraft of a true artist to develop this waste place into something so different from its former sell that now we doubt whether the birds that used to fly over it, or to build nests among its green trees, any longer recognize it as the same old tangled and disheveled spot it was once.
Mr. HASKELL struck upon a happy plan of laying out these five six hundred acres into a park for elegant residences; reserving, as the center-piece of his design, a space of fifty acres of the primeval forest, undisturbed except by a little clearing away of under growths to make it passable for the feet of meditative strollers, or moss-hunters, or violet-gatherers; surrounding this perpetual reservation with eighty or ninety charming building sites, varying from two acres to ten in extent, all bordering upon this central common of original wilderness, all opening with free range into this charming haunt of lonesomeness and quietude. Moreover, every estate was designed to be an adjunct of every other, separated not by fences, but by skillful hedges or evergreen trees, thus avoiding the appearance of any middle walls of partition between neighbors; the whole park to be made picturesque by serpentining roads, unexpected ponds, artful waterfalls, rustic bridges, seats, kiosks, and the like; offering, at every turn, some comfort or beauty to make the place lovable and memorable.
Accordingly, after several years of industrious work of axe and spade, of path-finding and bridge-building, of masonry and carpentry, the wilderness has been turned into Llewellyn Park communism. No individual privacy can be greater, no seclusion more guarded, than here on one or these romantic estates, which are all so sequestered that, sitting on the lawn of any one of them.
Such being the general outline of Llewellyn Park, a nearer view of its details fulfills to the spectator the full promise of the ample design. Suppose, for instance, we are in New York, standing on the steps of the City Hall -- that interesting historic spot from winch His Excellency Gov. SEYMOUR once affectionately addressed his "friends." Northward, an hour's journey, is Central Park; westward, an hour's journey, is Llewellyn Park; for the crossing of Hoboken Ferry, and the riding of twelve miles by railroad to Orange, occupy just the same time as trundling in an omnibus up or down hall the length of a big city. But, reaching Orange, where is Llewellyn Park? At first, it is apparently shut out of sight by a living wall of evergreens -- as if its residents had thrown up an a battle against an insurrection of visitors from the town. The approach is a handsome avenue or paseo, a hundred feet wide and half a mile long, fashioned after the Spanish style, a carriage-way in the center, a font-walk on either side or the whole shaded by four continuous parallels of trees. The entrance proper is through a spacious gateway, having a porter's lodge on one hand, and a lake, waterfall and summer-house on the other -- making, altogether, one of the most inviting pieces of mingled rural architecture and landscape gardening we have anywhere seen. Of several roads through the park, all diverging from this entrance like the open angers of a hand, we choose, for instance, the darkest and coolest, Glen-avenue, leading gently up through a magnificent ravine which of itself would be worth a million of dollars in Central Park, if Mr. HASKELL would agree to sell and deliver it to that rival concern. We go through a checkered gloom of great trees -- the water brooks babbling at our feet, and the shivering tree-tops overhead making a noise like a rain-shower, until we emerge from the ravine into many devious roads that lead one pleasantly astray; then passing many strange, unfamiliar trees, which, on inquiry, are found to represent every quarter of the globe, as, for instance, the pipe from the Himalayan Mountains, and the more wondrous evergreen of California, that grows to three times the height of the tallest church spire in America; passing great beds of flowers planted on the plan of massing large quantities of one kind in one place, as the rebels mass their troops -- thus, here a wide-spread glory of rhododendrons, there a bed of peonies, yonder a little garden of lilies of the valley, yonder still a regiment of azaleas, clad like many colored zouaves; passing still further, many ingenious specimens of artificial rock-work, festooned with flowering vines, and finding in the wilder places nature's own prolusion of wild columbines, with their red cups hanging downward, as having spilled their wine back into the earth; passing still from ramble to ramble, through many ranges of scenery, saluted with a continuous welcome from many uncaged music-makers, every one singing each song twice over.
"Lest you should think he never could recapture
The first fine careless rapture;"
Benevolent Spring House – Northfield Avenue Christian Path and the Pilgrim Cross The progress of several centuries have all but eroded away any evidence of the first settlers to the Orange Mountains. For clarification the ridges of the first and second mountain of the Watchung Mountain Range encompassing West Orange are known as the Orange Mountains. These were known as the Newark Mountains to the early settlers dating back to at least 1782.
One by one landmarks of that time have faded into oblivion and became extinct. Old colonial homes, ponds, brooks, paths and the like have all passed away without any formal eulogy. Few if any have been marked or designated in any manner for the benefit of future generations. But two priceless treasures survive today and wait to be rediscovered and assume their rightful place in this towns glorious past. Both neatly tucked away, perhaps unnoticed and not understood, but they bear silent witness like a centurion standing watch over West Orange history.
In the seventeenth century a small collection of hamlets we know today as The Oranges was then known as "The Mountain Society". These settlements had moved westward from the banks of the Passaic River in Newark shortly after 1666 into the outlying areas of current day Essex County. Early roads and paths primarily made this migration possible. Two of them passed through current day West Orange. One was known as the Swinefield road until 1832 when it was renamed Washington Street and Eagle Rock Avenue. The other route was known as the Christians Path. It was a path by which those from the Newark colony traveled over the mountain to settle in the fertile western farmlands. Here agricultural interests could be pursued with favorable outcome. This path was an old Indian trail also used by the settlers to attend weekly religious services at the old meeting house. This was the forerunner of The First Presbyterian Church of Orange and was once located just east of what is now Day Street in Orange. Every Sunday morning all that were able to travel would trudge down the mountain over the Christian Path on their way to worship services. They came by foot some walking from as far away as Caldwell then known as Horse Neck. The path was gradually widened by continuous usage and eventually able to accommodate ox carts. The journey could present hardships and take upwards of several hours. Legend has it that in order to save shoe leather the trip was often made barefooted until reaching Northfield Avenue on the final approach to Orange.
1861 portrait by Mathew Brady
24th Governor of New Jersey
In office January 15, 1878 – January 18, 1881
George Brinton McClellan
(1826-12-03)December 3, 1826
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
October 29, 1885(1885-10-29) (aged 58)
Orange, New Jersey, U.S.
In 1893, Mr. Decker became president of the Orange National Bank and began his career of distinction as a banker. He was president of that bank ten years, 1893-1903; vice-president of the same bank from 1903 until his passing in 1920; a director of the Savings Investment and Trust
Company of East Orange, and of the Trust Company of Orange. An ardent Republican, and keenly alive to his responsibilities as a citizen, he never sought nor accepted public office, but as a private citizen worked for party success, and wielded an influence for good in the party. He had no fraternal nor society relations, and but one club, the Essex CountyCountry, of Orange. He was a Presbyterian in religious faith.
(This, to me, is the most telling thing about Charles' character: The entire region's businesses shut down for 5 minutes out of respect for him.)
On the day of Mr. Decker's funeral all the stores of the Decker chain were closed in respect to his memory. The Orange National Bank and the Trust Company of Orange, and all merchants of the Oranges, for a period of five minutes stopped all business activities as a mark of respect to their most successful and respected merchant."
Donald Duncan was born in 1931 in Orange, New Jersey. He first entered William and Mary College at Williamsburg, Virginia in 1950. A year later he joined the Marines and served in the Korean War. In 1955, he re-enrolled in William and Mary, receiving a B.F.A. in 1960. In 1963 he received an M.F.A. from the University of New Mexico. Duncan worked in sculpture, using lead, stone and mosaic overlay. He died a year later at the age of 33 in collision near Chihuahua, Mexico. “Duncan reached out for a life that was to be rich and warm and broad. And out of that life, out of this depth comes his art. Art was to him the result of living, of experiencing, of knowing about things