Pr 13:14 The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
Pr 14:27 The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
Pr 16:22 Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.
•Isa 58:11 And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
Rivers in Revelation
Re 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers <4215>, and upon the fountains of waters;
Re 9:14 Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river <4215> Euphrates.
Re 12:15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood <4215> after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
Re 12:16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood <4215> which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
Re 16:4 And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers <4215> and fountains of waters; and they became blood.
Re 16:12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river <4215> Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.
Re 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river <4215> of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
Re 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river <4215>, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits,
1. Source of of Spiritual Life
2. Used of people and in particular, their words, with the possibility of corruption.
3. In Rev 8:10, the Rivers and Fountains appear to be those who are sources of spiritual life.
4. If Jesus is a well springing up in you, then Satan could cause another spring to well up?
Wormwood (o aqinyov). Absinthe. Usually feminine (h), but masculine here probably because asthr is masculine. Only here in N.T. and not in LXX (pikria, bitterness, colh, gall, etc.) except by Aquila in Pr 5:4; Jer 9:15; 23:15. There are several varieties of the plant in Palestine.
1. De 29:18 Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood;
a. Worshipping other gods leads to ‘gall and wormwood’?
b. Review Next Time? Linked to Idolatry & people who think they’re OK, but walking in imagination of their own hearts.
2. Pr 5:4 But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword.
a. Adulterous woman
b. Get caught up with her and you’ll experience wormwood
c. Those in Rev hanging out with Harlot Babylon will experience wormwood.
3. Jer 9:15 Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will feed them, even this people, with wormwood, and give them water of gall to drink.
a. Those who forsake ‘My Law” Not obeyd.
b. Walked after imagination of heart and idols.
4. Jer 23:15 Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts concerning the prophets; Behold, I will feed them with wormwood, and make them drink the water of gall: for from the prophets of Jerusalem is profaneness gone forth into all the land.
a. Specifically happens to prophets: Spiritual Leaders
b. These are so-called sources of spiritual life.
5. La 3:15 He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath made me drunken with wormwood.
6. La 3:19 Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.
Am 5:7 Ye who turn judgment to wormwood, and leave off righteousness in the earth,
Wormwood is a result; something that happens to individuals who are involved in… 1. Idolatry
2. Forsaking God’s Law (disobedience)
3. Adultery (w. Babylon the Harlot)
4. False prophets spreading falsehoods! Therefore 8:10-11 This star falls upon a third of what should be a spiritual life-giving source. Teaching men idolatry, following after adultery(spiritual). Led to spiritual death.
A. What would you understand about Angels from cf 1:20 with 2:1 & 8 etc? John would be able to communicate with them!
1. Angels: Leaders of Churches
B. Morning Star: Rev 22:16 “I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.” Revelation 22:16, KJV.
1. Morning Star: Jesus
C. 9:1 List the details that might illuminate the identity of this star. Would you conclude that this is a literal ball of gas? Why or why not.
1. Dana & Mantey say that "The perfect conveys the double notion of an action terminated in past time, and of its effect existing in the present."
D. Re 12:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
1. Fallen Angels
2. -“And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” Revelation 12:9, KJV.
E. “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!” Isaiah 14:12, KJV.
1. Lucifer=Light Bearer. Shining One. Morning Star.
2. Brought down to sheol and the pit.
II. As it were a lamp. Literally: torch. A. Lamp: Used in NT of 10 virgins carrying lamps.
1. Lampas denotes “A Torch” frequently fed, like a lamp with oil from a little vessel used for the purpose. They held little oil and would frequently need replenishing. Rutherford points out that it became used as the equivalent of luchnos as in the parable of the 10 virgins. Mt 25:1, 3, 4, 7, 8; John 18:3
2. Luchnos freqnetly mistranslated ‘candle. Is a portable lamp.
3. 2Sa 22:29 “For You are my lamp(luxnos), O LORD; And the LORD illumines my darkness.
4. Ps 119:105 Nun. Your word is a lamp(luxnos) to my feet And a light(phos) to my path.
5. Pr 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching is light; And reproofs for discipline are the way of life
6. “He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.” John 5:35, KJV.(luxnos) about John the Baptist
7. 2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light <3088>(LUXNOS) that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
8. Re 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light <3088> thereof.
9. Re 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle <3088>, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
10. Lamp/Torch became symbol of: Means to find your way. Refer to God himself. People who are ambassadors for God. God’s Word. His Teaching. Jesus himself (Rev 21:23) III. This is Satan, falling from heaven. The one who fell from heaven. Yet here he is described as a torch. Since it is a torch, its brightness is short-lived. He is falling onto what should be spiritual sources of life and nourishment. He comes to these sources of life and nourishment as if he has the the way to God; (illuminator of man’s path) or God Himself. Or bringing God’s Word or truth. The result of this is that the sources of life and nourishment become polluted and as a result many spiritually die. 2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
Mt 24:24 For there shall arise falseChrists, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
A. Sun, moon, and Stars
1. Genesis 37:9,10 “And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me. And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?”
2. De 4:19 And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.
a. Not on the earth. Above the earth.
b. All sources of Light
c. Denoted seasons and distinguished day from night.
3. Isaiah 13:9-11 “Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it. For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine. And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.”
a. Darkening is linked to judgment & extermination of sinners.
4. Eze 32:7 And when I shall put thee out, I will cover the heaven, and make the stars thereof dark; I will cover the sun with a cloud, and the moon shall not give her light.
a. A judgment warning given to Egypt
b. Talks about seas, rivers and mountains where Egypt is likened to a carcass who is thrown on te seas, rivers, and mountains.
c. ‘put thee out’=extinguish
d. Judgment was delivered to Egypt by Babylon
5. Joel 2:10 “The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining:”
a. Day of the Lord; Judgment linked to darkness of heavenly bodies.
b. Army here is Babylon.
c. Judgment/battle/war is so bad that there is darkness
6. Joel 3:11-15 “Assemble yourselves, and come, all ye heathen, and gather yourselves together round about: thither cause thy mighty ones to come down, O LORD. Let the heathen be wakened, and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat: for there will I sit to judge all the heathen round about. Put ye in the sickle, for the harvest is ripe: come, get you down; for the press is full, the fats overflow; for their wickedness is great. Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision. The sun and the moon shall be darkened, and the stars shall withdraw their shining.”
a. Jehoshaphat=Jehovah has Judged
b. Darkening of sun, moon, and stars is linked to: 1. Wakening of the nations 2. Judgment 3. Harvest: (particularly of grapes) 4. Multitudes in the Valley of Decision. “Decision from a diff. Heb word refers to ‘heavenly judges decision’ or ‘judicial decree’. The valley is now viewed as the place where the decree will be executed.
7. Mt 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
a. Happens before the 2nd Coming and after the tribulation of ‘those days’
b. ‘Those days’=Dark Ages??
8. Luke 21 Same progression
a. Jerusalem trodden (1260 days Rev 11)
b. Heavenly bodies disturbances
c. Coming of Jesus
9. Sun, Moon, and Stars, also seen in Rev 12. Could this trumpet affect God’s specific people?
The 4th Trumpet is a time which culminates in Judgment. Several places Judgment is indicated by the Sun, Moon, and Stars being darkened. These 3 items are usually linked with the passing or marking of time. Two concepts come out of the mention of these: 1. That there is a time-element involved. Perhaps time comes to an end in some ways when there is a darkening. (or it is about to come to an end symbolized by partial darkening) 2. Linked to Judgment. Perhaps judgment is coming to an end. (time-element) 3. All that is light is dimmed.
At the end of judgment, all will either be ‘walking in the light’ or ‘walking in darkness’.
Joh 12:35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.
1 John 1:5-7 “This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.”
Psalms 119:105 “NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” If we wander off the path, there is darkness.
1. Revelation Can be Understood
2. Historical Data(map of Patmos)
3. Jesus is the one Revealed.
4. List of Symbols and their meanings. Show the people they can interpret prophecy
5. Jesus is the Center of the Churches
6. Churches represent an experience that God wants His people to have to survive the rest of the book?
7. Study Sanctuary and show how Gospels; Epistles; Revelation parallel 3 phases of ministry of Jesus. And how Revelation is the Revelation of the character of God. In His people! (Church!!)
8. Lay foundation for Mark of Beast, Sabbath, Sate of Dead.
V. Fifth Trumpet
A. 8:13 INTERLUDE
1. Woe, woe woe. Not ‘warning, warning, warning. This would make 4th trumpet end of probation
2. Eagle: (If iused instead of Angel)
3. Mt 24:28 Where for ever may be the carcass, there will be gathered the eagles.
4. Lu 17:37 And answering they said to him: Where, O Lord? He and said to them: Where the body, there will be gathered the eagles.
5. Re 4:7 And the living one the first like to a lion, and the second living one like to a young bullock, and the third living one had the face of a man, and the fourth living one like to an eagle flying.
6. Re 8:13 And I saw and I heard one eagle flying in mid-heaven, saying with a voice great: Woe, woe, woe to those dwelling on the earth, from the remaining sounds of the trumpet of the three messengers of those being about to sound.
7. Re 12:14 And were given to the woman two wings of the eagle the great, so that she might fly into the desert into the place of herself, where she is nourished there a season and seasons and half of a season, from face of the serpent.
Significant that an eagle cries ‘woe’ because it is a vulture, a scavenger, an omen of death and destruction
B. Symbols in 5th Trumpet
a. 9:11 Called Abbadon or Apollyon
b. Able to accept keys
c. “King” “Angel of the Abyss”
a. Locusts: Have hair, teeth, armor, wings, tails, faces of men
b. Scorpions! (Called ‘locusts’ because this is a whole horde! But with the power of scorpions. (which usually are solitary in nature)
c. Ability to hurt men
d. vs. 11, if they have a ‘king’ and that king is the Angel, who is Satan, then this has to be demons, fallen angels.
e. Locusts are destroying insects. Stripped the land!
f. There are 5 dry months in Palestine which were the season for locusts.
a. Luke 8:31 Jesus has keys to bottomless pit. He handed them over (had power to turn demons over into abyss)
b. Jude 6
c. 2 Peter 2:4 Angels are limited by God
d. Thus 8:31 gives us a glimpse as to how an angel can break out of that confinement.
e. Application: We free beings in Christ. Can’t be affected by evil angels because of the abyss, their limitation.
f. According to Luke 8:, how can an angel escape from that abyss? Enter into another being.
g. Luke 10:19-20 serpents and scorpions.
1. Name written in heaven (sealed)
2. Satan ‘fall’ from heaven
3. Falling star resembles lightning
4. Jesus is the one who gives us authority.
5. Called ‘scorpions’ in Rev. Here they are ‘spirits’. “Power of the enemy”
6. Called scorpions in Re
4. 5 Months
a. Ge 7:24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.
d. They are armored which means we won’t be able to do anything back to them.
Revelation 8:13 6th Trumpet
A. Which Altar? Golden!(Incense)
B. Here there is a voice. In 8:3-4. There are prayers
1. this voice has authority
C. Angels Bound at Rivers
1. ‘bound” & ‘prepared” in ‘perfect’ tense: describes an action which is viewed as having been completed in the past, once and for all, not needing to be repeated.
Out of Eden
One of four Rivers
Could it be that the 4 angels are at the hub where the 4 rivers meet.
3. In the 5th Trumpet, the angels don’t kill, just torment. Not completely unbound. But in 6th Trumpet, the 4 angels are prepared to kill 1/3rd of men.
4. Vs. 15 cf w. 4th Trumpet. Sun, moon, and stars darkened? Correlation?
5. Reasons why the angels of 7:1-4 are the same as the 6th Trumpet
a. 4 Corners could mean the ‘hub’ from which the 4 rivers came out of Eden(dividing the world into 4 parts); thus the angels bound at the river Euphrates are in close proximity to or actually located at the 4 corners of the earth since the Euphrates exits from the 4 corners.
b. In both places a being controls the actions of 4 angels
c. In both places the 4 angels are related to slaughter. In 7:2 when they let go, destruction happens.
d. In both places the angels are seen as limited: 7:2 they’re told to not let go
e. In both places their actions seem to be dictated by a message from where God is: Horns of Golden Altar before God and in 7, angel from the east having the seal.
f. In both places John ‘heard the number of them’ (same words in greek). In 7, the number is of God’s people, in 9:15, the number refers to Satan’s army. In 7, could it be that God’s army deals a blow to Satan’s dominion?
6. Who are the recipients of the 6th Trumpet
a. 1/3rd of men
b. Linked to those who “did not repent”
7. Links to plagues
a. Both have river Euphrates
b. Both imply a battle
c. Both related to ‘mouths’. In 6th plague, it is the spirits which come out of the mouths that draw the world to battle. In the 6th trumpet, what comes out of the mouths kills.
Three unclean spirits come out of mouths in 7LP, and In 6th trumpet what is coming out of mouths of horses are fire, brimstone and smoke. Power of horses is in their mouths.
1. Could it be that this horse-army are made up of the dragon(spiritualism), the beast(Catholicism), or the false prophet(American Protestantism)?
2. Could it be that the fire, brimstone, and smoke indicate unclean spirits?
3. Since the 6th plague reveals the 2nd coming of Jesus which is about to happen and Armageddon (result of the gathering activities of the 3 unclean spirits), could it be that the 6th Trumpet is the actual gathering, and the 6th plague is the battle. (Battle in the 6th Trumpet is a spiritual battle. )
4. Trumpets are progressive withdrawing of spiritual life. Plagues are what it is like to live in a spiritually dead state.(?)
1. Same angels in Rev 7
2. God controls or authorizes the destruction in both 7 & 9
3. A comparision w. the plagues would indicate that the horses are linked to the dragon, beast, or fp and thus This could be a spiritual death signalling the end of probation. Nobody repents anymore.
Julie’s notes on Big Picture
1. Earth=Land etc. Whole trumpets is 1) What happens when you don’t have Christ’s ministry for you 2) reflects an undoing of Creation (order and picture of God providing needs for humans in Gen 1 is what Creation is all about). 3) Reflects an undoing of the spiritual life.
2. 3rd and 4th Trumpets Julie was comfy w. 3rd is polluting of spiritual life within and 4th is darkness.
3. In 1st 4, these are things supporting spiritual life which are one by one taken away and are foundation for living creatures. But in last 3, these are things that are torturing andattacking.
a. Instead of man above the crawling things and horses, now Man is below them.
4. Where does the interlude belong? (10:1-11:13) Clues
a. Revelation 10:7 “But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.”
b. Revelation 11:14 “The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.”
5. Isaiah 9:13-15 “For the people turneth not unto him that smiteth them, neither do they seek the LORD of hosts. Therefore the LORD will cut off from Israel head and tail, branch and rush, in one day. The ancient and honourable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail.”
6. Works of hands: End of Ecclesiastes
Tower of Babel 3 purposes
1. Make a name for ourselves
2. Avoid being scattered
3. Build a tower toheaven
—All center on self.
De 27:15 ‘Cursed is the man who makes an idol or a molten image, an abomination to the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and sets it up in secret.’ And all the people shall answer and say, ‘Amen.’
De 31:29 “For I know that after my death you will act corruptly and turn from the way which I have commanded you; and evil will befall you in the latter days, for you will do that which is evil in the sight of the LORD, provoking Him to anger with the work of your hands.”
1Ki 16:7 Moreover, the word of the LORD through the prophet Jehu the son of Hanani also came against Baasha and his household, both because of all the evil which he did in the sight of the LORD, provoking Him to anger with the work of his hands, in being like the house of Jeroboam, and because he struck it.
2Ki 19:18 and have cast their gods into the fire, for they were not gods but the work of men’s hands, wood and stone. So they have destroyed them.
2Ki 22:17 “Because they have forsaken Me and have burned incense to other gods that they might provoke Me to anger with all the work of their hands, therefore My wrath burns against this place, and it shall not be quenched.”’
2Ch 32:19 They spoke of the God of Jerusalem as of the gods of the peoples of the earth, the work of men’s hands.
D. Similarities tween Rev 12 & 3 Woes
1. Both mention ‘woe’
2. Both have Satan as the leader of evil angels (5th trumpet especially)
3. There is a ‘tail’ in both. It is the tail that causes the fall of 1/3rd of the angels.
E. Notes on Rev 12
1. Rev 12:10 shows Satan accusing God’s people day and night which is in contrast to Rev 8:2-5, Christ’s continued ministry (and also his ‘daily’ ministry before that phase)
2. Earth and Sea contrasted w. Heaven. Inhabitants of E & S are contrasted to Heavenly inhabitants. (God’s people are shown as in heaven throughout Revelation).
F. 7 Last Plagues are encapsulated in the 7th Trumpet
a. Starts with a temple opened and ark seen.
b. Ends with lightning, thunder, and earthquake
X. Revelation 10
A. Mighty Angel
1. Re 5:2* And I saw a strong <2478> angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
2. Re 10:1* And I saw another mighty <2478> angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:
3. Re 18:21* Then a strong <2478>angel took up a stone like a great millstone and threw it into the sea, saying, “So will Babylon, the great city, be thrown down with violence, and will not be found any longer.
B. Eating the book
1. Ezekiel 2-3
a. Sent to a rebellious people with a message, “Thus saith the Lord God”
b. Not to fear bad things. (scorpions)
c. Told to eat a scroll. Written on back and front. Lamentations
d. His spirit was ‘bitter’
e. Sent to God’s people in Babylon
f. God told him they wouldn’t listen (repentest not of…)
g. Here there is a ‘rumbling’ and in Rev 10 it is a thundering (diff greek words)
2. Daniel 12
a. Has both hands raised (Rev 10 only 1)
b. Only stands above river, but Rev 10 angel stands on both earth and sea.
b. Both swore by He who lives forever.
c. In Dan 12, Daniel has the book and is told to seal it. But in Revelation 10, John is given the book, which is open.
d. Sealing in both. Sealing of book in Daniel 12, and sealing of 7 thunders in Rev 10.
e. There is time listed in both. Time in Daniel pertains
f. Daniel is a book about God’s people in Babylon. Could it be that Rev 10 is God’s spiritual people, going through experiences in spiritual, universal Babylon. There is also a connection to Ezekiel’s experience prophesying to God’s people in Babylon.
7SDABC 971 "These relate to future events which will be these things, for their faith must necessarily be tested. In =the order of God most wonderful and advanced truths would be
proclaimed. HIII. Lifted up Hand to heaven, and sware by him....that there should be time no longer." F A. "This time, which the angel declares with a solemn oath, is =not the end of this world's history, neither of probationary ;time, but of prophetic time. That is, the people will not 2478>2478>2478>3088>3088>3088>4215>4215>4215>4215>4215>4215>4215>4215>