TOSSUPS – WALLACE STATE etc. RC COLA CLASSIC 2005 – UT-CHATTANOOGA
Questions by Wallace State’s Matt Glover with Grinnell’s Alyssa Hesse and Avram Gottschlich, Boston U.’s Anthony Gisonda, Columbia’s Daniel Boylan, assorted freelancers Anthony de Jesus, Tom Michael, and Mark Coen, and your genial quizmaster
1. The word "really" is added to this five word phrase in a line uttered by Jon Favreau in Swingers to an answering machine. In High Fidelity, it's the top cliché Rob wants to hear from all the women he attempts to track down. This routine is used in the Seinfeld episode "The Lip-Reader." Gwen attempts to use this five-word phrase on George Costanza but he claims to have invented, FTP, what self-deprecating excuse for breaking up with someone?
Answer: "It's not you, it's me" [grudgingly accept “It isn’t you, it’s me”]
2. Taking its name from a phrase that made them laugh at a 1988 Bob Dylan concert, this band was originally a duo of two friends who met while attending a school for the gifted. Joined by drummer Tyler Stewart and the Creeggan brothers, their 1991 Yellow Tape became the only band to have an independent album go gold in Canada. Original keyboardist Andy Creeggan left the band to finish column and was replaced by former Look People member Kevin Hearn, whose bout with leukemia led the band to tour without him on the back of their hugely popular album "Stunt”. Known for hits like “Another Postcard” and “One Week”, FTP name this band whose name once got them removed from a festival in their hometown of Toronto.
Answer: Barenaked Ladies
3. Without ever batting higher than .240 for a season, he was the first major league player with career earnings over $100 million. He won a Gold Glove in 2004 but did not in 2003, ending a streak of 13 straight awards. He won only 19 games in 1995 despite an ERA over 2 ½ points lower than the league average. Surpassing a record held by Cy Young himself, he is now aiming for his 18th straight season with at least 15 wins. FTP name this precision pitcher, winner of four straight Cy Young Awards in the ‘90’s with the Cubs and Braves.
Answer: Greg Maddux
4. This film only kept the first three words of the eight-word title of the novel it’s based on. Supporting players include former Hee Haw regular Gailard Sartain as Ed Couch and Chris O’Donnell as the doomed Buddy. One of its more memorable lines is, “Face it, I’m older and I have more insurance!” Depicting a cross-generational friendship between a woman in a midlife crisis and the friend she makes at her mother-in-law’s nursing home, FTP name this 1991 film starring Kathy Bates as Evelyn Couch and Jessica Tandy as Ms. Threadgood.
Answer: Fried Green Tomatoes
5. His middle name is Fauntleroy. In 1978 his “racy lifestyle” led to a ban in youth club libraries in Helsinki, Finland, on works featuring him. This questionable behavior included a 50-year engagement, uncertain parentage of his nephews, and his constant state of partial undress. Debuting in June 1934 in the Silly Symphony cartoon “The Wise Little Hen,” he took a leading role in the feature The Three Caballeros. FTP name this cartoon character with a short fuse and a sailor suit.
Answer: Donald Duck
6. Natalie Cole was about the only celebrity seen ringside at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. The first match, a very forgettable win for future show stopper Shawn Michaels over Tatanka, did little to make people forget that Jim Ross is still wearing a toga. It’s probably most remembered for the main event and its aftermath, when Mr. Fui threw salt in Bret Hart’s eyes, letting Yokozuna win the championship for a few minutes – till Hulk Hogan walked in, challenged him to an immediate title match, and promptly squashed him in like a minute. Labeled by many the worst of the series, FTP name this wrestling event that also included a guy who wrestled in a body suit of a nude man.
Answer: Wrestle Mania IX
7. Memorable moments include former game show host Bob Eubanks telling embarrassingly bad jokes and the annual Great Gatsby party, where townspeople were hired as live statues. It centered around the decline of a Midwestern town, and a quest for answers as to why the biggest employer of jobs is closing down plants in his hometown only to open them for more profit in Mexico. In his first foray into movie making; the narrator plays a game of cat and mouse with General Motors GM Roger Smith. FTP name this movie, the first in a long line of thought-provoking documentary featuress by Michael Moore.
Answer: Roger and Me
8. It melts in your mind not in your hand, says Amazon.com. It includes such words of wisdom as “Sties are caused by watching dogshit” and “a meltdown sounds like fun to me, like some kind of cheese sandwich.” This 1997 bestseller was the first from a View Askew regular called the thinking man’s comedian, FTP name this book by George Carlin that includes such bits as “A Place For My Stuff.”
Answer: Brain Droppings
9. As originally presented, his name reflected a combination of his major influences – two mortal heroes, a Titan, two Olympians, and a Biblical prophet. The Titan gave him stamina, the Olympians speed and power, and the Biblical figure wisdom, while the other mortals brought strength and courage. Later this Egyptian priest represented six other Egyptian deities to Black Adam and six others to Mary Bromfield, the sister of Billy Batson. FTP name this priest, whose name was invoked as the magic word to transform Batson into Captain Marvel.
Answer: Shazam [do not accept Captain Marvel; the question is structured otherwise from the get-go.]
10. The title character spends most of his life searching for his father. He wishes revenge for abandoning him and his mother and him, though that wasn’t "the meanest thing he ever did." Then the title character stops to have a brew in Gatlinburg, where he finds his father dealing stud. The two fight; through the beer, the blood and the muck, he walks away with a different point of view, deciding that his dad had done the greatest thing he ever could by giving him a girl’s name. Written by Shel Silverstein, FTP, name this song, a hit for Johnny Cash.
Answer: A Boy Named Sue
11. Douglas Shuler, Mark Zug, and Rebecca Guay have all drawn her in the past. An embodiment of purity and fury, this lovely lady has been around for more than ten years, swinging her sword of faith on both offense and defense. FTP, name this white creature from Magic: the Gathering, a 4/4 flyer found in most of the base sets.
Answer: Serra Angel
12. He understands what dogs say. His diet seems to consist of candy and cereal and at least one frog. He only ate half the frog, and was hospitalized for at least a week for his efforts. Another injury occurred when he tried to stop a spinning wire with his teeth. He has been likened to a crazy hobo or maybe some sort of troll as his special spot is under the family’s porch. FTP- name the now second youngest of the family, on “Malcom in the Middle.”
13. “If my rhyme was a drug, I’d sell it by the gram.” “Take heed, cause I’m a lyrical poet. Miami’s on the scene, just in case you didn’t know it.” “Deadly when I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony.” “Quick to the point, to the point, no faking, cooking MC’s like a pound of bacon.” FTP, name the early 90’s song containing these lyrics, also famous for the singer shouting “word to your mother” and repeatedly asserting that the title object is “too cold, too cold”
Answer: Ice Ice Baby
14. Nicknamed “Hollywood,” this California native made her national team debut at age 19 in 1988 as a reserve forward. After her career stalled, she reinvented herself as a defender, and played every minute of every U.S. game in the 1996 Olympics. A founder of the WUSA San Jose CyberRays, she’s best known for a penalty kick in the 1999 World Cup Finals. FTP, who is this athlete for whom “It’s Not About the Bra.”
Answer: Brandi Chastain
15. Like Sandra Bullock, she attended East Carolina University; unlike Sandra Bullock, she graduated. After a stint as weather anchor at WNCT in Greenville, North Carolina, her father paid for two years of acting lessons in L.A. A marathon runner and triathlete, she has appeared twice so far on Celebrity Poker Showdown, where she revealed that her poker nickname is “Emmilicious.” Ftp, name this actress who went from a recurring role on The West Wing to play Calleigh Duquesne on CSI: Miami.
Answer: Emily Procter
16. Their official website currently features the Star Wars Episode III Hunt for Grievous where you can win a Starwars Engraved Ipod. Or, you can use the “combinator” “to create your own awesome flavor creations” from the new Smoothie mix, Wild Berry, Bubblegum, Tropical, Sour, or Original Fruit. FTP, taste the rainbow and identify this Mars brand candy.
17. This weekend a sequel to this film is scheduled for a direct-to-DVD release, with Karen Allen one of the two notable cast members returning. The original’s tag line boasts "They're more than a team. They're the best buddies in the entire history of the world!" Set in the summer of 1962, it centers around a new boy in town, Scotty Smalls. His top priority is to make new friends before the summer, only to be embarrassed in front of local baseball phenom, Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez. Benny takes the young boy under his wing and teaches him the game of baseball and all is well till his Babe Ruth autographed ball is hit over the fence into the junkyard. FTP name this movie featuring James Earl Jones and a namesake location.
Answer: The Sandlot
18. In 1965 at Charterhouse School in Godalming, Surrey, several members of two rival bands -- Garden Wall and Anon -- graduated; those that didn’t merged to form the New Anon, changed to this name in 1967 by their first producer. Early members who came and went included Chris Stewart, John Mayhew, John Silver, and founding member Anthony Phillips, who left due to stage fright. After such albums as Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and Selling England by the Pound, in 1975 the original lead singer left for a solo career and was replaced by the drummer they’d added in 1970. Founding members Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford remained through their last album, 1997 Calling All Stations. FTP, name this band, fronted first by Peter Gabriel and then Phil Collins, known for songs like “That’s All” and “Invisible Touch.”
19. From 1990 until 1991, it ran 65 episodes on syndicated television. Set in Cape Suzette, it told the story of an air cargo service with only one ship, the Sea Duck. The stories usually involve owner Rebecca Cunningham, voiced by Sally Struthers, and Don Karnage, King of the Air Pilots. FTP name this Disney animated cartoon with Kit Cloudkicker and a character taken from The Jungle Book, Baloo the bear.
20. Wheel of Fortune. A stop sign. A sign in front of a school advertising Anal Exams. A Corn Flakes box. A parody of Chick-fil-A. A fortune cookie message. The front cover of time magazine. A parody of Bohemian Rhapsody. A Windows error message, as well as the blue screen of death. The surgeon general’s warning. FTP, what has appeared in all of these places, a seven word phrase spoken by Cats in Zero Wing?
Answer: All your base are belong to us
21. While the Unabomber promised to stop if his manifesto was published, he reserved the right to one more bombing if this publication published it as offered. With declining sales due to Internet competition, it was bought in 2004 by Florida real-estate developer Marc Bell after its parent company General Media went bankrupt. Keeping up with the Internet jones also led it to begin showing urination and penetration. For ten points, name this periodical founded in 1965 by Bob Guccione.
22. Dave Barry immortalized this beverage by describing it as tasting like "coyote spit". This 'ion supply drink' is said to taste mild and unsweet in spite of its namesake, and can be purchased in many Chinatown areas in the US. FTP, name this sports drink named after a bodily fluid and discussed in the book "Dave Barry Does Japan".
Answer: Pocari Sweat
23. This Film is innovative in that it pulls back the curtain so to speak on a world only known to its participants. The brain child of director Barry Blaustein, This file follows along in the life of three people. One, an old timer trying to make it in the big time, a has been now addicted to crack trying to make it in the indys and an up and comer heading into the big time. FTP name this film chronicling the lives of professional wrestlers starring Mick Foley, Jake "The Snake" Roberts and Terry Funk.
Answer: Beyond the Mat
BONI – WALLACE STATE etc. RC COLA CLASSIC 2005 – UT-CHATTANOOGA
Questions by Wallace State’s Matt Glover with Grinnell’s Alyssa Hesse and Avram Gottschlich, Boston U.’s Anthony Gisonda, Columbia’s Daniel Boylan, assorted freelancers Anthony de Jesus, Tom Michael, and Mark Coen, and your genial quizmaster
1. Hometowns figure prominently in the TV series M*A*S*H. Given a character, tell what state they’re from F5PE and their hometown for another 5:
Answer: Crabapple Cove, Maine
Answer: Toledo, Ohio
Answer: Ottumwa, Iowa
2. Name these roleplaying systems, FTPE
This White Wolf game has you playing an undead beastie of the night. Gehenna has occurred, and clans include the Gangrel, Ventrue, and Ravnos.
Answer: Vampire: The Masquerade (do not accept Vampire: the Requiem)
This KenzerCo game, based off of Knights of the Dinner Table, includes such features as a table to roll up bar names, an eight-volume Monster Manual, and a Smartass Smackdown Table for GM use.
You cannot die. Such is a major part of what Steve Jackson Game, in which you can play virtually anything you want and nothing can kill you, including steamrollers, anvils, and explosives?
Answer: Toon: The Cartoon Roleplaying Game
3. The author of this question has a particular vendetta against the underrepresentation of figure skating in Quizbowl sports questions. FTPE, identify these famous figure skaters from clues.
Winner of the women’s world championship in 1991 and 92, she won the Olympic gold medal in 1992.
Answer: Kristi Yamaguchi
Winner of the 1988 men’s Olympic gold, this skater is also famous for creating his own variation of the triple lutz that is considered the most difficult jump in skating.
Answer: Brian Boitano
This Russian woman, winner of the 2002 and 2005 world championships and 2002 Olympic silver medalist, is famous for her longtime rivalry with Michelle Kwan- they have competed against each other since 1996 in the world championships.
Answer: Irina Slutskaya
4. For ten points each, name the song from lyrics, 5 points if you need the artist::
A. 10: "I'm happy. / I'm feeling glad. / I got sunshine / In a bag."
Answer: "Clint Eastwood"
B. 10: "I'm an all American rebel / Making my big getaway. / Yeah, you know it's time. / I gotta fly."
5: Sheryl Crow
Answer: "Steve McQueen"
C. 10: "I want so badly to believe that 'there is truth, that love is real' / And I want life in every word to the extent that it's absurd."
5: Postal Service
Answer: "Clark Gable"
5. Answer these related questions FTSNOP.
 This 2001 release starred Jim Carrey as a Hollywood writer who has lost his memory.
Answer: The Majestic
 Also released in 2001, this movie featured Andrew, Owen, and Luke Wilson, although only Andrew’s hand was shown, since he has a BB lodged in it.
Answer: The Royal Tenenbaums
 In 2003, this actor played Denethor in the Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
Answer: John Noble
6. FTPE name the author whose works included some writings under these pseudonyms:
Answer: Stephen King
Anson McDonald and Lyle Monroe
Answer: Robert Heinlein
Thomas Jefferson Snodgrass, Sergeant Fathom, W. Epaminondas Adrastus Blab, and Satan.
Answer: Samuel Clemens (accept Mark Twain)
7. FTPE, name these songs that pay homage to other artists.
a. This Twista song featuring Kanye West recognizes the amorous powers of musicians from Ready For the World to Luther Vandross to Gladys Knight.
Answer: Slow Jamz
b. Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson are eulogized in this hit for the post-Lionel Richie Commodores.
Answer: Night Shift
c. This horrible P. Diddy-Faith Evans collaboration rips off "Every Breath You Take" by The Police to memorialize the Notorious B.I.G.
Answer: Missing You
8. 5-10-20-30, given the role played by Dave Chappelle, name that film:
Answer: Robin Hood: Men in Tights
b) Thurgood Jenkins, a.k.a. Sir Smoke-a-lot
c) Conspiracy Brother
Answer: Undercover Brother
d) Joe “Pinball” Parker
Answer: Con Air
9. Only three NHL teams won a Stanley Cup from 1970 to 1979, inclusive. For 5 points each, name the three teams, and for another 5 points tell how many Cups that team won. You have 10 seconds to begin your answer.
Answer: Montreal and/or Canadiens, 6; Boston and/or Bruins, 2; Philadelphia and/or Flyers, 2
[if they care, Boston won in 1970 and 1972, Philly in 1974 and 1975]
10. You have not truly earned the title of trash whore until you have mastered the trash phenomenon that is American Idol. FTPE, identify these lesser-known contestants from previous seasons. First or last name is acceptable.
This third-place finisher from the first season is having one of the worst post-Idol careers of anyone finishing that high. She currently owns a karaoke business in Texas.
Answer: Nikki and/or McKibbin
This second-season contestant was disqualified after it was revealed that she had posed topless for an adult website. She later went on to join the Broadway cast of the musical “Rent”.
Answer: Frenchie and/or Davis
During season 3, he didn’t even make it past the first audition, but nonetheless continues to get work, including a cover of “We Are the Champions” used in promos for GSN’s Extreme Dodgeball.
Answer: William and/or Hung
11. 40-30-20-10. Name the city.
 While the Shelby Foote Soldiers got 40 points on a bonus at TRASHionals for saying "Omaha," they would get fewer points at this tournament.
 It is the site of the headquarters, museum, and annual show of the Antique Automobile Club of America.
 In 1962 Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a game here, despite it not being home to a current NBA franchise.
 This Pennsylvania city's most famous sports team is the AHL's Bears. A famous blooper has Lowell Thomas completely losing it on the air after making it sound like he referred to its residents as “with and without nuts.”
 It is the home of the Hershey Foods Corporation.
Answer: Hershey, Pennsylvania
12. The writer of this question received a free ipod from freeipods.com, the best source for free iPods on the Internet! Answer these questions about bands who made the first GB for ten from lyrics, 5 from more information.
 “Hey, don’t let it go to waste, I love it, but I hate the taste. Weight keeping me down.
 This band was formed with David Grohl as the drummer, after Nirvana broke up. Songs they have performed include the aforementioned “All My Life,” and “Everlong.”
Answer: Foo Fighters
 “Let me be specific. I wanna be down in your south seas, but I got this notion that the motion of your ocean means small craft advisory.”
 This band’s album, “Hooray for Boobies,” contained many sexually explicit lyrics in their songs, which include “I Wish I Was Queer So I Could Get Chicks,” and “The Bad Touch.”
Answer: Bloodhound Gang
 “I hate to say I’m starting again to try and get you off of my mind. I must admit it’s so hard to do, oh Ellen, without you by my side.”
 This band’s most recent release, Foot in Mouth Disease, came about thanks to publicity gained when the band toured with Sum 41.
13. Click click click click click. Time for questions about one of the author’s favorite computer games, Diablo 2, FTPE
(10) This is the expansion, in which you fight Baal, its namesake.
Answer: Diablo 2: Lord Of Destruction
(10) Name any four of the seven character classes found in the expansion. Five points if you can only name two; of course, you get four guesses.
Answers: (any four of) Paladin, Assassin, Necromancer, Sorceress, Amazon, Barbarian, Druid
(10) Name the man whose “Will” you must wield to destroy the Compelling Orb. To get this weapon, you must have already found his brain, heart, and eye.
14. 30-20-10-5-1, name the athlete
30: Info at baseball-reference.com says he bats right, throws left, weighs 225 pounds, and was drafted by Montreal in the 2nd round of the 1985 amateur draft.
20: During a brief stint with Houston, his ERA was 1.28, the lowest he’s had for any team.
10: His 2005 salary with the Yankees is projected to be over $15 million.
5: This 6' 10" pitcher is nicknamed “The Big Unit”
1: “Striking out homelessness,” his Randy Johnson Foundation has received $100 for every strikeout he’s thrown since 1999.
Answer: Randy Johnson
15. It’s celebrity baby time! For the stated number of points, give me the name inflicted on their first offspring by the following celebrity parents:
5: David Letterman
Answer: Harry Joseph Letterman
10: Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin
Answer: Apple Blythe Alison Martin
15: Two answers required: Julia Roberts
Answers: Phinnaeus Walter Moder and Hazel Patricia Moder
16. Identify the main tv show within a tv show for the stated number of points. For example, if I said “Good Morning, Miami” you’d say “Good Morning, Miami.”
5: Home Improvement
Answer: Tool Time
5: Murphy Brown
Answer: FYI (Accept “For Your Information” and “FYI: For Your Information”)
10: Greg the Bunny
Answer: Sweetknuckle Junction
10: Life with Bonnie
Answer: Morning Chicago
17. Rick Pitino was head coach of the Boston Celtics for 3 ½ seasons. On a 5-10-20-30 basis, given a pair of Celtics players from those teams, name the college they both played for. A hint: None of them played for Boston University.
Antoine Walker and Ron Mercer
Pervis Ellison and Greg Minor
Walter McCarty and Wayne Turner
Eric Williams and Jamel Thomas
[EDITOR’S NOTE: While some didn’t actually play for Pitino in college, he has coached all the schools mentioned.]
18. Name these related songs from lyrics FTSNOP.
 “Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dream, red gold and green.
Answer: Karma Chameleon
 “Arrest this girl, her Hitler hairdo, is making me feel ill and we have crashed her party.
Answer: Karma Police
 “I had not had any sleep so I ate Minithins to stay awake, you crashed your car right into me, there was two days I didn’t sleep.”
Answer: Karma’s Payment
19. You may have seen the flash animations devoted to the song, Banana Phone, but were you really listening to the lyrics? Just to get it in your head one more time, answer these questions about the song Banana Phone, FTPE.
Name the Egyptian-born Canadian singer who gave us “Banana Phone.”
According to Raffi, a banana phone is both cellular, modular, and this made-up adjective
For a final ten points, one flash animation using the song Banana Phone combined the song with what other famous flash cartoon featuring the state animal of Wisconsin?
Answer: Badgers (accept badger, mushroom, snake, or Badger, badger, badger)
20. In 1977 a movie called Star Wars was released, and a new era of geekiness engulfed the galaxy. FTSNOP, answer these questions about the original trilogy that only a true Star wars geek would know.
In Episode IV: A New Hope, in which detention block is Leia being held on the Death Star? 10 points if correct; partial credit is possible.
Answer: Detention block AA-23 [5 points if they get either AA or 23 right]
Name the band leader, a large blue elephant-type creature, of the band that plays in Jabba’s Palace in Return of the Jedi. 5 points each for his first and last names.
Answer: Max Rebo
This man from Corellia is the only one of the original 3 creators of the Rebel Alliance, with Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, NOT mentioned by name in the trilogy, though he is in novels.
Answer: Garm Bel Iblis
21. Answer these related questions FTPE.
 This actor does a lot of voices on the Simpsons, including Moe, Chief Wiggum, and Apu.
Answer: Hank Azaria
 This actor was nominated for a 1960 Tony award for his role in “Sweet Bird of Youth,” and plays Zed in the “Men in Black” movies.
Answer: Rip Torn
 These two actors played this role in the 2004 movie “Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story.”
Answer: Patches O’Houlihan (Accept Either)
22. Everyone loved Classic Nickelodeon game shows, right? One in particular, Legends of the Hidden Temple, had 6 teams that played each episode. Name them FFPE. You have 10 seconds to begin your answer.
Answers: Red Jaguars, Blue Barracudas, Silver Snakes, Purple Parrots, Green Monkeys, Orange Iguanas