SS8H7a. Evaluate the impact of the Bourbon Triumvirate, Henry Grady, International Cotton Exposition, Tom Watson and the Populists, Rebecca Latimer Felton, the 1906 Atlanta Race Riot, the Leo Frank Case, and the county unit system on Georgia between 1877 and 1918.
1. Who were the 3 members of the Bourbon Triumvirate?
d. supporter of suffrage movement and temperance movement
7. What were the reasons behind the Atlanta Race Riot?
Racial fear fueled by untrue newspaper articles; anger of poor whites concerning the success of some blacks like Alonzo Herndon; segregation and unfairness w/protection of law
8. Who was convicted of killing Mary Phagan?
9. What happened to the person convicted of the murder? killed/hung
10. Who did the KKK call itself when it reformed in 1915?
Knights of Mary Phagan
11. What was the purpose of the County Unit System in GA elections during the 19th and 20th centuries? To lessen the power of urban areas and increase the rural areas (politically) What happened to system? replaced
SS8H7b: Analyze how rights were denied to African-Americans through Jim Crow laws, Plessy v. Ferguson, disenfranchisement, and racial violence.
1. Why were Jim Crow laws established? To maintain control of blacks and their exercised rights (replaced slave and black codes)
2. What did the Supreme Court ruling in Plessy v. Ferguson mean for public facilties? If public facilities were provided for both races then they could be legally separate
3. Give 4 ways blacks were disenfranchised.
a. grandfather clause
b. poll tax
c. literacy test
d. KKK intimidation white primary
SS8 H7c. Explain the roles of Booker T. Washington, W. E. B. DuBois, John and Lugenia Burns Hope, and Alonzo Herndon.
1. Summarize what was stated by Booker T. Washington in his Atlanta Compromise speech.
Blacks should participate in vocational trainings, purchase land, and practice good character, eventually blacks would earn equal civil rights
2. Explain WEB DuBois’ Talented Tenth philosophy.
The top ten % are the future leaders. They should be nurtured and equipped to success. Some college nurses, teachers. Others will be vocationally trained. Others will be unskilled labor (majority). Note the triangle
3. Give 3 accomplishments of John and Lugenia Burns Hope.
a. organized Neighborhood Union (AU Center)
b. worked closely with YMCA
c. advocates improve public neighborhood needs in black communities (roads, lights, trash pick up)
d. John Hope - •President of the National Association of Teachers of Colored Schools
4. Summarize Alonzo Herndon’s rise from slavery to becoming one of Atlanta’s first black millionaires.
Born as a slave in Social Circle >sharecropping> vocationally trained as a barber in south Atl> Atl opened a barbershop (white clients only)> $ invest and begun 1st black insurance company (Atlanta Life Insurance Co.)
SS8H7d. Give reasons for World War I and describe Georgia's contributions.