The Civil War Comes to Georgia WebQuest
Please use the websites linked below to answer each question in your own words in complete sentences in bold font. Do NOT copy and paste answers from the websites. Thank you!
Battle of Chickamauga
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/battle-chickamauga (first & last paragraphs)
1. When did the Battle of Chickamauga take place (month, days, & year)?
2. How many casualties were there during the battle? Which Civil War battle had more casualties?
3. What was the goal of Union Major General William S. Rosecrans’ army during this military campaign? Why was this goal important to the Union’s overall war strategy?
4. Who was considered the victor of the battle? Why were they considered the victor?
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/atlanta-campaign (first three paragraphs & The Fall of Atlanta)
5. When did the Atlanta Campaign take place (seasons & year)? Where did it take place?
6. Which general led the Union army during the campaign (full name)?
7. When did the campaign end (month, day, & year)? Why did it end then?
8. How long did Union troops hold Atlanta? What did they do to the city while they held it (be specific)?
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/battle-kennesaw-mountain (first paragraph & Battle on Kennesaw Mountain)
9. When did the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain take place (month, day, & year)? Where did it take place?
10. Which military campaign did the battle take place during?
11. Which general led the Union army during the battle (full name)?
12. How many Union casualties were there during the battle? How many Confederate casualties were there? Who won?
Sherman’s March to the Sea
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/shermans-march-sea (first paragraph, The March, & Consequences of the March)
13. When did Sherman’s March to the Sea begin and end (months, days, & year)? Where did it begin and end?
14. What was Sherman’s overall goal for the march?
15. How many soldiers did the march include? What restrictions did soldiers often ignore during the march?
16. What were some of the consequences of the march (be specific)?
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/andersonville-prison (first paragraph, Prison Conditions, Prison Life, After the War)
17. When was Andersonville Prison established? Where was it established? Why was it established?
18. What were the prison conditions like (be specific)?
19. What was prison life like (be specific)?
20. Who was Captain Henry Wirz? What happened to him after the war?
Share with your friends: