To submit a Hidden Pictures® puzzle, go to Highlights.submittable.com and choose “Hidden Pictures puzzles.” After creating an account, you’ll be guided through the submission process.
HIDDEN PICTURES® Specifications for Puzzles Geared to Children Ages 6-12 1. Illustrations are predominately black-and-white line art.
2. Finished art must reduce to 6.375" wide by 7.625" high for a single page; to 13.625" wide by 7.625" high for a two-page spread. When creating spreads, avoid placing hidden objects in the gutter. All Hidden Pictures illustrations should have a safety of .25" safety on all sides of the illustration to prevent hidden objects from being cut off. Also add .25" of bleed around the illustration.
3. A one-page Hidden Pictures® illustration needs a minimum of 15 hidden objects; a two-page spread should have 25 hidden objects.
4. Good hidden objects are simple items that readers will easily recognize. (See list of commonly hidden objects below.) 5. Objects should be scattered as evenly as possible throughout the illustration.
6. Avoid oversized or very small objects; they should be roughly similar in size. Objects may be scaled to different sizes relative to one another. For instance, a hidden BANANA might be larger than a hidden CAR.
7. Objects may be rotated and placed in any orientation.
8. Objects should not be hidden in places that would be logical in a real-world context. (For instance, a fish would not be hidden in swirls of water.)
9. No objects should be hidden that also appear unhidden in the same scene. (For example, a shoe should not be hidden in a picture that shows someone wearing shoes.)
10. No objects should be hidden inappropriately on a part of a person’s body.
11. Objects should not be too close together, and they should never touch.
13. Keep objects away from the edges of the illustration, and out of the gutter in the case of a spread.
14. Objects must appear whole—in their entirety—not cropped or missing any part.
15. Please do not put a black rule around final art.
16. Have fun!
Commonly Used Hidden Pictures Objects (in Puzzles for Kids Ages 6-12)