(1) Opener: Ferguson once said, “If you like to play video or computer games, you are already familiar with them. You will also need to learn a programming language like C++ or Java, and you’ll need a good working knowledge of the hardware platform for which you plan to develop your games (Computers, Requirements, High School, 32).” This quote states that as you are learning how to program, it helps you to develop games even if video games are a habit for you. As a Computer Engineer, we are responsible for testing, seeing, and evaluating software, which can make our computers works. We are also responsible for constructing & managing a computer support and help others if they need technical support.
(2) Thesis: Computer Engineering are dealing with problems as Computer Programming, Electronics in terms of computers, and making items.
(II) Subtopic 1: Computer Programming
(1) Sub-subtopic A: One aspect of Computer Programming is that the programmers are the ones who are creating the function in such languages based on the computers. Lisa McCoy once stated, “Computers communicate in a binary-based language, also known as a machine language. With such languages, the programmer must input every command and all data in binary form. Such programming is tedious and time-consuming, to say the least (Computers and Programming, Chapter #1: Industry History, Ruby and Java and Pearl, Oh My: Programming and Languages, 18).” In a computer program, a program puts the input of a function, and the outcome will be shown in the program. In a computer program, computers can be also used for so many calculations.
(2) Sub-subtopic B: Another aspect of computer programming is that programmers are writing, testing and trying to maintain programs. Lisa McCoy also stated, “…Computer programmers write, test, and maintain programs. They also conceive, design, and test programs. Many technical innovations in programming, such as advanced computing technologies and sophisticated new languages and programming tools, have changed the role of a programmer and elevated much of the programming work done today (Computers and Programming, Chapter 3: On The Job, Programming and Software Development, Computer Programmers, 56)…” It is our job to make sure that the program is being tested. There should be new features and tools in the computer programs as software’s are being created.
(3) Sub-subtopic C: Third aspect of Computer Programming is that the program that is being tested must have something that is correct and if there were errors, you would have to restart the program. Lisa McCoy once said, “Programmers test a program by running it to ensure that instructions are correct and that the program produces that desired outcome. If errors do occur, the programmer must make the appropriate change and recheck the program until it produces the correct results (Computers and Programming, Chapter 3: On The Job, Programming and Software Development, Computer Programmers, 57).” Sometimes outcomes come out differently than what was expected. It is either that or your function is wrong.
(III) Subtopic 2: Electronics in terms of computers
(1) Sub-subtopic A: One aspect of Electronics in terms of computers is that computers don’t solve problems but the programmer is only following the procedures given to them. Frank Lorimer Westwater once said, “The first things to emphasize is that computers do not and cannot solve problems. They merely carry out procedures given to them by the programmer. If by blindly carrying out the procedures in the correct order the result is a solution of the problem, so much the better (Electronic Computers, Chapter 9: Programming, 147).” If the programmer had a better list of procedures than what was given to them, they would be a better chance for a better result.
(2) Sub-subtopic B: Another aspect of Electronics in terms of computers is that is the programmer is the one who makes a prediction on the function of a program in a computer. Frank Lorimer Westwater once said, “It is the programmer who does the thinking. It may appear that a computer can take decisions, but in reality they have been foreseen by the programmer (Electronic Computers, Chapter 1: Basic Principles, Programming, 13).” Sometimes we are trying to predict something but something else happens in the computer. In life, not everything happens the way you want especially dealing with electronics.
(3) Sub-subtopic C: Third aspect of Electronics in terms of computers is that there are different things happening as computers develops. Frank Lorimer Westwater once said, “As Computers developed, certain features of programming becoming apparent (Electronic Computers, Chapter 9: Programming, Subroutines, 150).” As new features are being created such as devices, the programmer is the one who is trying to make the best feature, software, or program in the whole world.
(IV) Subtopic 3: Making Items
(1) Sub-subtopic A: One aspect of making items is that you must have the safety tools that are required for a project. For Example, in my EMT 1130 course, for my semester project, we are creating a project called a digital trainer. In order to do this project, we must have two-piece of metal sheet, one for top and one for bottom for our sheet metal box. We must have wires, safety goggles and other materials required for the project.
(2) Sub-subtopic B: Another aspect of making items is that you must read the directions. In order to move on to the next step in an assignment or project, you must read the directions that are given. People do this because they want to prevent themselves from making mistakes at all or either wise they’ll start over again. If anyone makes a mistake, then their work will look like a mess and will not move on to the next procedure until they get it right and its not going to come out like its suppose to be the way you expected.
(3) Sub-subtopic C: Third aspect of making items is that you must take your time when making the item. When making an item, it doesn’t take like five minutes to make an item. It can take a certain amount of time to make something. For Example, if you are an author who is writing a book, the authors have time but it can take them months or days to write a book before they have an approval of publishing it. Once you are done, show it to someone or a few people before you show it to millions of people. People want their project to look like a success.
Computer Programming, Electronics in terms of computers, and making items are three best subtopics or issues that are dealing with Computer Engineering. As a computer engineer, it is our job to test software that can make our computer system a lot better. We are also responsible for constructing & managing a computer support and help others if they need technical support. “If you like to play video or computer games, you are already familiar with them. You will also need to learn a programming language like C++ or Java, and you’ll need a good working knowledge of the hardware platform for which you plan to develop your games (Computers, Requirements, High School, 32),” which was once said by Ferguson because as computer engineers, we must have a knowledge and should be familiar with these software especially as a fan of video games.
(1) Westwater, Frank Lorimer. “Electronic Computer.” 1970.
(2) McCoy, Lisa. “Computers And Programming.” 2010.
(3) Ferguson. “Computers, Fifth Edition (Ferguson’s Careers in Focus).” 2008.
(4) Mims, Christopher. “Computer Programming Is a Trade, Let’s Act like it.” Wall Street Journal (2014): 1-5. November 2, 2015 (wsj.com/articles/computer-programming-is-a-trade-lets-act-like-i t-1407109947).
(5) Butler, Brandon. “Computer Engineering Degrees pay off big time.” Network World (2014): 1-2. November 2, 2015 (networkworld.com/article/2823415/careers/computer-engineering-degre es-pay-off-big-time.html).