Phi Chi Theta was formed at Chicago, Illinois, June 16, 1924, by the union of two competing business fraternities, Phi Theta Kappa and Phi Kappa Epsilon, both of which were formed in 1918



Download 86.44 Kb.
Date10.08.2017
Size86.44 Kb.
#30137
Phi Chi Theta was formed at Chicago, Illinois, June 16, 1924, by the union of two competing business fraternities, Phi Theta Kappa and Phi Kappa Epsilon, both of which were formed in 1918. The two day meeting was held at the LaSalle Hotel.

Phi Chi Theta was incorporated in the State of New York on January 4, 1926, the certificate of which incorporation sets forth its purpose as being: “To promote the cause of higher business education and training for all women, to foster high ideals for women in business careers, to encourage fraternity and cooperation among women preparing for such careers, and to stimulate the spirit of sacrifice and unselfish devotion to the attainment of such ends.”

Charters were granted originally only to groups existing in colleges and universities whose schools of business were members of the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business. At the 1934 Biennial Meeting in Chicago it was decided to admit chapters in “such other schools of Rank A universities as the Standing Committee on Admissions may, upon investigation recommend to the Executive Council; the number of chapters in such schools, however, shall at no time exceed twenty percent of the total number of Collegiate Chapters then in existence.” This was revised in Portland, 1936, to admit chapters in “such other schools of business of Rank A universities...” At the twelfth Biennial Meeting in June 1948, it was decided to make a further change in the requirements for admission of chapters in schools of business of Rank A universities so that the number of such chapters “shall at no time exceed forty per cent of the total number of Collegiate Chapters then in existence.” At the 1952 Biennial Meeting in Boston this was revised to admit groups in schools of business “accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business and/or in universities or colleges which are accredited by the Regional Accrediting Association and in which a course of study in business administration is approved by the Standing Committee on Expansion and Admissions...” In 1962 the last part of this requirement was changed to read, “...and in which a course of study in Business and/or Economics is approved by the Standing Committee on Admissions and recommended by that Committee to the Executive Council.” Thus Phi Chi Theta became the first professional fraternity for women to enter the field of Economics.

The founding chapters of Phi Chi Theta were:

New York Alpha

Columbia University

Colorado Alpha

University of Denver

New York Beta

New York University

Oregon Beta

University of Oregon

Gamma

Oregon State University



Delta

Northwestern University

Epsilon

University of Pittsburgh



Zeta

Boston University

The second Biennial Meeting was held at the Pennsylvania Hotel in New York, NY, June 18-19, 1926. The presiding officer was Kathryn Stanley Dohr, Grand President (New York Alpha Chapter). Chapters installed during the biennium were:

Eta, University of California, Berkeley 1924

Theta, this Greek letter was skipped

Iota, University of Wisconsin, Madison 1925

Kappa, University of North Dakota, Grand Folks 1925

Lambda, University of Kansas, Lawrence 1925

Mu, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 1925

Nu, University of Indiana, Bloomington 1925

Xi, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 1925

Omicron, University of Missouri, Columbia 1926

Pi, University of Idaho, Moscow 1926

New York Alumnae 1924

Pittsburgh Alumnae 1924

Boston Alumnae 1924

The third Biennial Meeting was held at the Stephens Building University of California, Berkeley, June 21-26, 1928. Presiding was Helen Phillips, Grand President (Eta Chapter). Chapters installed during the Biennium:

Rho, University of Nebraska, Lincoln 1927

Sigma, University of Illinois, Urban 1927

Tau, Ohio State University 1928

San Francisco Alumnae 1928

New York Beta Alumnae 1928

The fourth Biennial Meeting was held at the Hotel Vendome, Boston, Massachusetts, June 20-24, 1930. Presiding was Ethel M. Allen (Boston Alumnae), Grand President. Chapters installed during the biennium were:

Upsilon, Georgia School of Technology 4-15-1929

Chicago Alumnae 8-3-1929

Portland Alumnae 1929

Salt Lake City Alumnae 5-29-1929

Denver Alumnae October 1929

The fifth Biennial Meeting was held on June 24-28, 1932, at the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver, Colorado, with Colorado Alpha and Denver Alumnae Chapters as hostess chapters. Presiding was May C. Joyce ( Denver Alumnae Chapter), Grand President. No new chapters were reported at this time, but it was felt that the organization had held its own well during the financial depression.

The sixth Biennial Meeting was held June 21-26, 1934, at the Stevens Hotel in Chicago, Illinois, with Delta and Chicago Alumnae Chapters as hostess chapters. Presiding was Elsa Mueller (Chicago Alumnae Chapter), Grand President. Awarding a national scholarship key was approved. Los Angeles Alumnae chapter was installed in the spring of 1933.

The seventh Biennial Meeting was held June 22-25, 1936, at the Hotel Multnomah in Portland, Oregon, with Oregon Beta, Gamma, and Portland Alumnae Chapters as hostess chapters. Presiding was Ida Belle Tremayne (Portland Alumnae Chapter), Grand President. The following new chapters were reported:

Phi, University of Colorado, Boulder January 1936

Atlanta Alumnae 8-15-1935

Lincoln Alumnae August 1935

The eighth Biennial Meeting was held June 16-20, 1938, at the Hotel Schenley in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with Epsilon and Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapters as hostess chapters. Presiding was Nellie Jones (Pittsburgh Alumnae), Grand President. The following new chapters were reported:

Chi, University of Alabama 11-21-37

Psi, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah March 1938

Alpha Alpha, University of California, Los Angeles 6-16-38

Columbus Alumnae 2-14-37

Madison Alumnae 6-1-37

Washington D.C. Alumnae 3-12-38

Kansas City Alumnae 3-15-38

The University of California, Los Angeles, Omega Chapter was installed at the Biennial Meeting. Later the chapter’s name was changed to Alpha Alpha because “Omega” represented “the end” to the members at that time.

At this time there were 24 collegiate chapters and 15 alumnae chapters with over 2000 initiated members and 522 active members. The first national scholarship award of $125 was made in 1938 to Ruth Rogers of Atlanta, Georgia.

The ninth Biennial Meeting was held June 17-20, 1940, at the Atlanta Biltmore Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, with Upsilon and Atlanta Alumnae Chapters as hostess chapters. Presiding was Alma Martin (Atlanta Alumnae), Grand President. As of that date, there were 689 active members and 2,191 inactive members. Alpha Beta, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin was installed on April 30, 1939.

The tenth Biennial Meeting was held June 18-22, 1942, at the Hotel Loraine in Madison,Wisconsin, with Iota and Madison Alumnae Chapters as hostess chapters. Presiding was Phyllis Buck (Madison Alumnae Chapter), Grand President. As of that date there were 716 active members and 2,483 inactive members. At the Biennial Meeting, the Bylaws were amended changing the title of the officers from “Grand” to “National.” Milwaukee Alumnae chapter was installed on June 1, 1942.

In 1944, owing to World War II, Phi Chi Theta complied with the request of the Office of Defense and Transportation and cancelled the biennial meeting. Elections were held by mail. Frances R. Murray (New York Alumnae Chapter) as National President would have presided at this Biennial Meeting. At the end of the biennium, there were 3700 initiated members and 753 active members. Alpha Gamma, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, was installed

May 15, 1944.

The eleventh Biennial Meeting was held June 27-30, 1946, at the French Lick Springs Hotel in French Lick, Indiana, with Eta and Berkeley Alumnae Chapters as hostess chapters. Ellen Hawley (Berkeley Alumnae), National President, presided over the meeting. As of that date there were 950 active members and 3,375 inactive members. No chapters were installed during the Biennium.

The twelfth Biennial Meeting was held June 17-19, 1948, at the Willard Hotel in Washington, D.C., with the Washington Alumnae Chapter serving as hostess. Presiding over the meeting was Althea Christenson (Washington Alumnae), National President. As of that date there were 1122 active members and 4188 inactive members. The following chapters were installed during the biennium:

Alpha Delta, The State College of Washington, 3-29-47

Alpha Epsilon, University of Georgia, Athens 5-18-47

Alpha Zeta, Montana State University, Missoula 1-31-48

Dallas Alumnae 10-26-47

The Thirteenth Biennial Meeting was held at the Hotel Ambassador East in Chicago, Illinois, June 15-17, 1950, with Delta and Chicago Alumnae Chapters as hostess chapters. Presiding was Claire O’Reilly (Chicago Alumnae), National President. As of that date there were 1130 active members and 4847 inactive members. There were 44 chapters (29 collegiate and 15 alumnae). Xi Chapter became inactive in 1949. The following chapter was installed:

Alpha Eta, St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri 11-13-48

The fourteenth Biennial Meeting was held June 19-21, 1952, at the Copley Plaza in Boston, Massachusetts, with Zeta and Boston Alumnae Chapters serving as hostess chapters. Dorothy A. Lowney (Boston Alumnae), National President, presided at the meeting. As of that date there were 1034 active members, including 168 life members, 5326 inactive members, and 30 deceased members. New York Alpha Chapter became inactive in June 1951. The total number of chapters was 45 (28 collegiate and 17 alumnae). Mrs. Mamie K. Taylor of Atlanta, Georgia, Executive Department, Georgia Power Company, and Public Relations Consultant, was welcomed as a National Honorary Member. The following chapters were reactivated:

Xi Chapter, University of Southern California 6-17-52

Kansas City Alumnae 4-25-52

The following chapters were installed during the biennium:

St. Louis Alumnae 4-27-52

New York Alpha Chapter June 1951

The fifteenth Biennial Meeting was held June 17-19, 1954, at the Plankinton Hotel in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with Milwaukee Alumnae and Alpha Beta Chapters serving as hostess chapters. Presiding over the meeting was Mavis Schubert Skalle (Milwaukee Alumnae), National President. As of that date there were 1044 active members including 214 life members, 5580 inactive members, and 37 deceased members. During the biennium a chapter roster of 45 was maintained (28 collegiate and 17 alumnae). The Efficiency Rating Program was initiated and a trophy awarded to the chapter with the highest national rating; the 1954 award was made to Atlanta Alumnae Chapter. No chapters were installed during the biennium.

The sixteenth Biennial Meeting was held June 25-28, 1956, at the Atlanta Biltmore Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, with Atlanta Alumnae and Upsilon Chapters as hostess chapters. Ordry Palmer Ray (Atlanta Alumnae Chapter), National President presided at the meeting. At the end of the biennium there were 1199 active members, including 246 life members, 6403 inactive members, and 45 deceased members; chapter roster was 35 collegiate chapters and 17 alumnae chapters. The winner of the ERP trophy was Epsilon Chapter-for both 1955 and 1956. The name, insignia, and publication of Phi Chi Theta were filed in the U.S. Patent Office, Trade-mark Division. The official date the trademark was registered is June 9, 1957. The official date the collective membership mark was registered is July 23, 1957. The following chapters were installed during the biennium:

Alpha Theta-Omitted by Error

Alpha Iota, Pennsylvania State University, State College 4-14-55

Alpha Kappa, George Pepperdine College, Los Angeles, California 5-1-55

Alpha Lambda, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 6-5-55

Alpha Mu, University of Maryland, College Park 9-25-55

Alpha Nu, North Texas State College, Denton 5-11-56

Alpha Xi, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana 5-4-56

Alpha Omicron, University of Florida, Gainesville 5-12-56

The seventeenth Biennial Meeting was held June 23-25, 1958, at Carroll Hall in Madison, Wisconsin, with Madison Alumnae, Iota, and Alpha Beta Chapters serving as hostess chapters. Presiding was Mary M. Seymour (Madison Alumnae), National President. At the end of the biennium there were 1337 active members, including 312 life members, 7021 inactive members, and 46 deceased members; chapters included 40 collegiate and 18 alumnae. Delta Chapter won the 1957 ERP trophy; the 1958 winner was Atlanta Alumnae. A new National Honorary Member added to the rolls-Miss Bernice Fitz-Gibbon, Advertising Consultant, New York City. The office of Executive Secretary was established as a result of the bylaw changes at the Biennial Meeting in June 1958. The chapters were divided into six districts with a Director in charge of chapter counseling.

The following chapters were installed during the biennium:

Alpha Pi, Kansas State College, Manhattan 5-4-57

Alpha Rho, Florida State University, Tallahassee 5-25-57

Alpha Sigma, Birmingham-Southern College, Birmingham, Alabama 3-29-58

Alpha Tau, University of Arizona, Tucson 5-10-58

St. Petersburg Alumnae 2-28-58

The eighteenth Biennial Meeting was held June 23-25, 1960, at the Coronodo Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri, with St. Louis Alumnae and Alpha Eta Chapters as hostess chapters. Presiding over the meeting was Joyce A. Hittenberger, (Berkeley Alumnae), National President. At the end of the biennium there were 1329 active members, including 352 life members, and 13 life member subscription members, 7833 inactive members, and 53 deceased members; chapters included 37 collegiate and 17 alumnae. Ordry P. Ray, appointed by the Executive Council, served as Executive Secretary for this biennium and the Central office was established in Atlanta, Georgia. The 1959 and 1960 winner of the ERP trophy was Alpha Beta Chapter.

The following chapters were installed during this biennium:

Alpha Upsilon, Bradley University, Peoris, Illinois 5-23-59

Alpha Phi, University of Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska 5-30-59

Alpha Chi,Howard College, Birmingham, Alabama 3-19-60

Alpha Psi, Morningside College, Sioux City 4-10-60

Alpha Omega, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 5-7-60

Detroit Alumnae, Michigan 10-26-58

Provo Alumnae, Utah 4-27-60

The nineteenth Biennial Meeting was held June 25-27, 1962, at the Willard Hotel in Washington, D.C., with Washington Alumnae and Alpha Mu Chapters serving as hostess chapters. Presiding at the meeting was Thelma Vettel (Washington, D.C., Alumnae), National President. At the end of the 1962 fiscal year there were 1619 active members (including 347 life members and 14 life subscription members), 8522 inactive members, and 70 deceased members; active chapters included 43 collegiate and 17 alumnae. Total membership reached 10,211, with Charlene JoAnn Kaufmann, Alpha Psi, the 10,000th member.

The National Bylaws Committee prepared a complete revision of the national bylaws. Under the revised bylaws, economics majors will henceforth be accepted for membership in Phi Chi Theta, first women’s professional fraternity to enter the field.

A new National Honorary Member was inducted-Honorable Esther E. Peterson, Assistant Secretary of Labor; Director of the Women’s Bureau, United States Department of Labor; and Executive Vice Chairman of the President’s Commission on the Status of Women. During this biennium Phi Chi Theta invested its reserve funds in corporate bonds which qualified under the New York State Fiduciary Investment Law for investment by trust funds and other fiduciaries of that State. The 1961 winner of the Efficiency Rating Program trophy was Alpha Beta Chapter for the third consecutive year, which gave that chapter permanent possession of the trophy. New York Beta Chapter won the ERP trophy for 1962.

The following chapters were added during the biennium:

Beta Alpha, Mississippi Southern College, Hattiesburg 3-28-61

Beta Beta, Portland State College, Portland, Oregon 5-13-61

Beta Gamma, Loyola University, New Orleans, Louisiana 2-16-62

Beta Delta, St. John’s University, Jamaica, New York 3-3-62

Beta Epsilon, McNeese State College, Lake Charles, Louisiana 3-25-62

The following chapters were reactivated during the biennium:

Alpha Tau 3-25-61

Alpha Epsilon 5-28-61

Alpha Xi 5-27-62

Milwaukee Alumnae Chapter 4-15-62

The twentieth Biennial Meeting was held at the Hotel Adolphus in Dallas, Texas, June 28-July 2, 1964, with Dallas Alumnae, Alpha Gamma, Alpha Nu, Beta Zeta, Beta Theta, and Beta Lambda Chapters as hostess chapters. Presiding was Thelma Vettel (Washington, D.C. Alumnae), National President, the first to serve two consective terms. At the end of the 1964 fiscal year there were 1781 active members (including 345 life members and 14 life subscription members), 9616 inactive members, and 78 deceased members; active chapters included 51 collegiate and 16 alumnae. A National Honorary Member was added to the roll-Miss Margaret Divver, Second Vice President, John Hancock Mutual Insurance Company, Boston, Massachusetts.

On October 11, 1963, at a White House Reception, American Women, the Report of the Presidents Commission on the Status of Women, was presented to the President of the United States by Assistant Secretary of Labor, Esther E. Peterson, Executive Vice Chairman of the Commission and National Honorary Member of Phi Chi Theta. Phi Chi Theta’s National President attended this reception as the representative of the Fraternity, one of fifty-one national organizations recognized by the Commission as having assisted in its work. Phi Chi Theta was one of only three Greek letter organizations so recognized. During 1962-1963 Phi Chi Theta’s Professional Activities Committee directed a survey of women’s participation in Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs, and a second survey of Phi Chi Theta members to determine why more women do not enter the MBA program.

At the beginning of fiscal year 1962-1963 the National Headquarters was moved to San Francisco, California, due to the resignation of Executive Secretary Ordry P. Ray and the appointment of Jessie M. Erickson as successor. Mrs. Erickson combined the work of her former post as Editor of the IRIS with that of Executive Secretary.

New York Beta won the Efficiency Rating Program trophy for both years of the biennium, the second chapter in a row to win a permanent trophy for attaining highest honors in the Efficiency Rating Program competition for three consecutive years.

The following chapters were added during the biennium:

Beta Zeta, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth 2-3-63

Beta Eta, Carson-Newman College, Jefferson City, Tennessee 4-3-63

Beta Theta, Sam Houston State Teachers College, Hunteville, Texas 4-6-63

Beta Iota, Louisiana State University, New Orleans 10-12-63

Beta Kappa, Fresno State College, Fresno, California 2-15-64

Beta Lambda, East Texas State College, Commerce 5-17-64

Beta Mu, California State College, Los Angeles 5-24-64

In addition Xi Chapter at the University of Southern California, (3-8-64), and Zeta Chapter, Boston University (3-9-63) were reactivated. Epsilon, Pi, and Provo Alumnae Chapters became inactive.

The twenty-first Biennial Meeting was held June 25-July 1, 1966, at the Sheraton Motor Inn in Portland Oregon, with Portland Alumnae and the collegiate chapters in the Northwestern District as hostess chapters. Presiding was Mildred Ruth Marion (Chicago Alumnae), National President. At the end of the 1966 fiscal year there were 2052 active members (including 338 life members and 14 life subscription members), 10,874 inactive members, and 94 deceased members; active chapters included 57 collegiate and 15 alumnae. A National Honorary Member was added to the roll-Miss Sylvia F. Porter, nationally syndicated columnist and noted author of books and articles on money matters. National Honorary Member Dr. Viva Boothe died in October 1964.

On February 19, 1965, upon an invitation from Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson, Phi Chi Theta was represented at a White House function which launched “Project Head-Start.” Phi Chi Theta was also represented at the Interdepartmental Committee and Citizen’s Advisory Council on the Status of Women held at the White House in June 1966. In that Committee’s “Report on Progress in 1965 on the Status of Women” Phi Chi Theta was listed twice: for its activities in the promotion of higher education for women, and again as a source of educational materials. Phi Chi Theta was one of only two Greek letter organizations listed in that Report.

Phi Chi Theta National Honorary Member Mrs. Esther E. Peterson was honored to receive the Professional Panhellenic Association’s Career Achievement Award for 1965.

During the biennium the Fraternity launched a survey-“Who’s Who in Phi Chi Theta,” which was designed, mainly, to seek out members of high professional achievement. The Efficiency Rating Program was divided into separate competitions for collegiate and alumnae chapters. In the 1964-65 competition, New York Beta was awarded the trophy for the highest score among collegiate chapters and Atlanta Alumnae Chapter was awarded a $25 cash prize for the highest score among alumnae chapters. In the 1965-66 competition, the trophy was awarded to Delta Chapter and New York Alumnae Chapter won the alumnae chapter award.

The following chapters were installed during the biennium:

Beta Nu, Midwestern State University, Waco, Texas 10-25-64

Beta Xi, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, Washington 5-6-65

Beta Omicron, Rider College, Trenton, New Jersey 5-6-65

Beta Pi, State College Mississippi 5-1-66

Beta Rho, Florida Southern College, Lakeland 5-1-66

Beta Sigma, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, Washington 5-5-66

Beta Tau, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 5-19-66

Beta Upsilon, San Fernando Valley State College, Northridge, California 5-22-66

Beta Phi, Seattle University, Seattle, Washington 5-23-66

Epsilon Chapter at the University of Pittsburgh and Alpha Omicron, University of Florida were reactivated during the biennium. Psi, Alpha Xi, Alpha Sigma, Alpha Psi, and Milwaukee Alumnae chapters became inactive.

The twenty-second Biennial Meeting of Phi Chi Theta was held June 26-29, 1968, at the Sheraton Charles Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana, with New Orleans Alumnae Chapter as hostess assisted by Beta Gamma, Beta Epsilon, Beta Iota, and Beta Pi Chapters. Presiding was Vera Jean Williams (Los Angeles Alumnae), National President. At the end of the 1968 fiscal year there were 2284 active members (including 333 life members and 14 life subscription members), 12,310 inactive members and 107 deceased members. The total initiated membership reached 14,701. Active chapters included 61 collegiate and 17 alumnae. Two National Honorary Members were added to the Roll: Miss Margaret E. Lauer, CPA, New Orleans, Louisiana, and the Honorable Leonor K. Sulllivin, Member of Congress, St. Louis, Missouri. The winners of the Efficiency Rating Program were as follows:

1966-1967 Beta Omicron-Trophy

New York Alumnae-Alumnae Winner

1967-1968 Beta Omicron-Trophy

New York Alumnae-Alumnae Winner

The following chapters were added during the Biennium:

Beta Chi, University of Tennessee-Martin 11-12-66

Beta Psi, Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois 6-4-67

Beta Omega, Eastern Washington State College, Cheney, Washington 5-20-67

Gamma Alpha, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 11-18-67

Gamma Beta, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green 2-24-68

Gamma Gamma, Arizona State University, Tempe 5-17-68

Gamma Delta, Stephen F. Austin State College, Nacogdoches 5-12-68

New Orleans Alumnae 12-4-66

Fresno Alumnae 6-13-68

Alpha Alpha, Alpha Pi, Dallas Alumnae, and Salt Lake City Alumnae Chapters were reactivated during the biennium. Zeta, Alpha Epsilon, and Alpha Kappa chapters became inactive.

The twenty-third Biennial Meeting of Phi Chi Theta was held June 23-27, 1970, at the Conrad Hilton Hotel in Chicago, Illinois, with Delta, Beta Psi, and Chicago Alumnae Chapters as hostess chapters. Vera Jean Williams (Los Angeles Alumnae), National President for her second term, presided at the meeting. At the end of the 1970 fiscal year there were 2109 active members, including 326 life members and 14 life subscription members, 14,022 inactive members and 120 deceased members. The total initiated membership reached 16,251. There was a total of 81 active chapters on the roll, including 64 collegiate and 17 alumnae chapters, at the end of the biennium. The tenth National Honorary Member was Mrs. Ruth Handler, President of Mattel, Inc., Hawthorne, California.

Phi Chi Theta was represented at the twenty-fourth Biennial Convention of the Professional Panhellenic Association, held November 6-9, 1969, in St. Petersburg Beach, Florida. Ordry P. Ray, Phi Chi Theta, was elected President of PPA for the 1969-1971 biennium.

Phi chi Theta’s first Professional Directory of employed active members was distributed by Professional Activities Chairman to all chapters during the fall of 1969.

The fall of 1969 was marked by the initiation of two contests. A one-time contest, open to all Phi Chi Theta active members, was conducted by North Central District Director Frances Markwardt for the best design for a public relations brochure. Beta Chi Chapter and New Orleans Alumnae Chapter tied as the winners of this contest and their chapters received a credit for supplies from the National Headquarters. Phi Chi Theta’s first public relations brochure, “Working Together,” was printed during the summer of 1970. The second of the two new contests was the first annual Professional Writing Contest, with a medal awarded to the writer of the winning article. This first annual award was won by Epsilon Chapter.

In the Efficiency Rating Program Competition for 1968-1969, New York Alumnae Chapter won the cash award of $25 for the top alumnae chapter. Beta Omicron won the Efficiency Rating Program trophy for collegiate chapters for the third consecutive year and was presented with the permanent trophy at the 1970 biennial meeting. In the 1969-1970 Efficiency Rating Program Competition, New York Alumnae scored top honors among alumnae chapters. Alpha Rho Chapter captured the trophy for the highest score among collegiate chapters.

The following chapters were added during the biennium:

Gamma Epsilon, California State College, Long Beach 6-13-69

Gamma Zeta, University of South Alabama, Mobile 10-25-69

Gamma Eta, Idaho State University, Pocatello 2-21-70

Gamma Theta, Stetson University, DeLand 5-10-70

Alpha Epsilon Chapter and Beta Alpha chapter were reactivated during this biennium, and Alpha Alpha and Alpha Lambda chapters became inactive.

The twenty-fourth Biennial Meeting of Phi Chi Theta was held June 20-24, 1972, at the Commodore Hotel in New York City with National President Caroline Hoff Harmon (New York Alumnae) presiding. New York Alumnae and New Brunswick Alumnae were the hostess chapters. At the end of the 1972 fiscal year there were 2,046 active members (including 329 life members and 14 life subscription members), 15,539 inactive members, and 129 deceased members. Total initiated membership reached 17,714. Phi Chi Theta’s past National President, Frances Reichmann Murray, died April 29,1971, and Phi Chi Theta’s first National Honorary Member, Dr. Lillian Moller Gilbreth, died January 2, 1972.

In July 1971 Fran Markwardt was appointed Editor of The IRIS replacing Jessie Erickson.

Two new national committees were instigated: Expansion Committee and Finance Committee. The National Magazine Subscription Committee was discontinued.

Discussion and correspondence between Phi Chi Theta National President Caroline Hoff Harmon and Epsilon Eta Phi (National Professional Fraternity in Commerce and Business Administration) National President M. Gleyn Nicholson was initiated concerning the merger of Epsilon Eta Phi and Phi Chi Theta.

The twenty-fifth Biennial Convention of the Professional Panhellenic Association (PPA) was November 1971 in Atlanta, Georgia, with Phi Chi Theta’s Ordry P. Ray, President of PPA, presiding. In attendance representing Phi Chi Theta were: National President Caroline Hoff Harmon, Immediate Past National President Vera Jean Williams, and Executive Secretary Jessie Erickson.

In response to the Interfraternity Research and Advisory Council’s (IRAC) expressed need for more involvement on the part of fraternity leaders, National President Caroline Hoff Harmon represented Phi Chi Theta at the IRAC annual meeting in Dallas, Texas, in April 1972. At this meeting, Phi Chi Theta’s Ordry P. Ray (past president of Phi Chi Theta and immediate Past President of PPA), was elected the Interfraternity Research and Advisory Council’s first woman president. Ordry P. Ray previously served IRAC for seven years as treasurer.

In 1971 a petition was received from Fort Steilacoom Community College (two year business college), Tacoma, Washington, for the installation of an “associate” chapter on its campus. The legality, administration, and implementation of an “associate” class of membership was discussed in great detail and resolved during the biennium.

The question of coed professional fraternities (mandated by Title IX) was of great importance and concern during the biennium. Correspondence, meetings and discussions were numerous between the men’s and women’s professional fraternities. Phi Chi Theta, Phi Gamma Nu, and the other women’s professional fraternities were opposed to becoming coed-and the two men’s business fraternities, Alpha Kappa Psi and Delta Sigma Pi, were also opposed to the coed issue. At the June 1972 Biennial Meeting, Phi Chi Theta national chapter approved its status as an all-women’s organization.

In May 1972, National President Caroline Hoff Harmon attended the annual convention of the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). This was the start on Phi Chi Theta’s active participation in the AACSB.

In the 1971 Efficiency Rating Program (ERP) competition for collegiate chapters, the trophy for the highest score went to Beta Omicron Chapter, and New York Alumnae won the cash award of $25 for the highest score by an alumnae chapter. In the 1972 Efficiency Rating Program competition, Beta Chi Chapter won the collegiate trophy, and New York Alumnae scored highest in the alumnae chapter competition.

The following chapters were added during the 1970-1972 biennium:

Gamma Iota, University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado 6-9-71

Gamma Kappa, Alabama A&M University, Huntsville, Alabama 4-23-72

Gamma Lambda, University of San Francisco, San Francisco, California Fall1972

Gamma Mu, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 6-17-72

New Brunswick Alumnae, New Jersey 9-18-71

Alpha Zeta, Beta Sigma, Boston Alumnae, and Berkeley Alumnae chapters became inactive during the biennium.

The fiftieth anniversary of Phi Chi Theta was celebrated at the twenty-fifth Biennial Meeting of Phi Chi Theta held June 17-22-, 1974, at the St. Louis Gateway Hotel, St. Louis, Missouri, with (second term) National President Caroline Hoff Harmon (New York Alumnae), presiding. Hostess chapters were St. Louis Alumnae.

At the end of the 1974 fiscal year there were ___ active members (including ___ life members and ___ life subscription members), ______ inactive members, and ___ deceased members. Total initiated membership reached _______.

Rosalind K. Loring, Associate Provost, Extended Education, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California was welcomed (in absentia) as National Honorary Member of Phi Chi Theta at the 1974 Biennial Meeting. In November 1972 Phi Chi Theta became a full voting member of the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).

The merger of Phi Chi Theta and Epsilon Eta Phi became official July 27, 1973, with the signing ceremony of the Plan of Merger by Phi Chi Theta National President Caroline Hoff Harmon and Epsilon Eta Phi National President Marilyn Lynn Reinicke. An initiation ceremony was conducted for the Chicago members of Epsilon Eta Phi on July 28, 1973, in Chicago, and a second initiation ceremony took place in Pittsburgh on October 6, 1973, for the Epsilon Eta Phi Pittsburgh Alumnae members and Duquesne University collegiate members.

In 1973 the office of Vice President for Expansion and Membership was approved. Due to the rapid expansion of chapters during the biennium, the Southeastern District was divided into two districts-Southeastern District and Central Eastern District. The Associate class of Membership was approved and incorporated into the Bylaws of Phi Chi Theta.

Updating Phi Chi Theta rituals began in the 1968-1970 biennium; a new pledge ceremony and alumnae welcome ceremony were approved at the 1970 Biennial Meeting, and an alternate initiation ceremony was approved at the 1972 Biennial Meeting.

Attending the Professional Panhellenic Association (PPA) convention in Denver in October 1973 were: National President Caroline Hoff Harmon, Immediate Past National President Vera Jean Williams, Executive Secretary Jessie Erickson, and alumna-at-large Judy Jurkowski from Milwaukee. During the biennium, National President Caroline Hoff Harmon served on PPA’s Finance and Rules Committee and as Legislative Advisor (specifically on the coed fraternity question). Epsilon Eta Phi’s former National President M. Gleyn Nicholson, represented Phi Chi Theta on PPA’s executive board as Treasurer.

National President Caroline Hoff Harmon represented Phi Chi Theta at the Interfraternity Research and Advisory Council (IRAC) conventions: Columbus, Ohio, in April 1973, and Indianapolis, Indiana, in April 1974. Phi Chi Theta’s Ordry P. Ray served a second term as President of IRAC.

National President Caroline Hoff Harmon represented Phi Chi Theta at the national convention of the Interstate Association of Commissions, on the status of women, in Philadelphia in June 1973. The conference was composed of governor-appointed commissions on the status of women in the United States.

National President Caroline Hoff Harmon attended the 1973 Annual Meeting of the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) in Honolulu and in April 1974 in Hollywood, Florida. At those annual meetings and during the biennium National President Harmon was assigned duties connected with the Equal Opportunity Committee, assigned to organize a convention discussion session on Educating Women for Business, and prepared a statement of position on the coed fraternity question presented at the general business session of AACSB in April 1974.

In the 1973 Efficiency Rating Program (ERP) the collegiate trophy for the highest score went to Beta Nu, and New York Alumnae won the award for the highest score by an alumnae chapter. In the 1974 Efficiency Rating Program competition, Beta Chi won the collegiate trophy, and New York Alumnae scored highest in the alumnae chapter competition.

During the biennium, twenty-one petition were approved for chapters and eighteen chapters were installed

Gamma Nu, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, California 4-28-73

Gamma Xi, Pace University, New York, New York 1973

Gamma Omicron, Florida Technological University, Orlando, Florida 8-4-73

Gamma Pi, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Illinois 8-19-73

Gamma Rho, Washburn University, Topeka, Kansas 8-25-73

Gamma Sigma, Saint Ambrose College, Davenport, Iowa 9-9-73

Gamma Tau, University of Montevallo, Montevallo, Alabama 9-29-73

Gamma Upsilon, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 10-6-73

Gamma Phi, Waynesburg College, Waynesburg, Pennsylvania 12-2-73

Gamma Chi, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 3-30-74

Gamma Psi, Indiana University-Northwest, Gary, Indiana 4-21-74

Gamma Omega, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama 4-21-74

Delta Alpha, Austin Peay State University, Clarksville, Tennessee 4-27-74

Delta Beta, St. Francis College, Loretta, Pennsylvania 1974

Delta Gamma, Montclair State College, Montclair, New Jersey 5-5-74

Delta Delta, Upsala College, East Orange, New Jersey 5-10-74

Delta Epsilon, Pan American University, Edinburg, Texas 5-11-74

Delta Zeta, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Madison, New Jersey 1974

Two chapters were reactivated: Alpha Mu, University of Maryland, December 4, 1973, and Berkeley Alumnae, May 23, 1974. Mu, Chi, Beta Beta, Beta Tau, Beta Phi, Beta Psi, and St. Petersburg Alumnae became inactive. The one-hundreth chapter of Phi Chi Theta was installed May 11, 1974-Delta Epsilon at the Pan American University in Edinburg, Texas.

The twenty-sixth Biennial Meeting was held June 22-27, 1976, at the Executive Tower Inn in Denver, Colorado, with Angela Loyola Settell , National President, presiding. Madeline H. McWhinney, President, First Women’s Bank of New York, New York City, and Marilyn Van Derbur, television personality, lecturer, corporate consultant, and educator, Denver, Colorado, became National Honorary Members. Edna Blake Davis, founder, died October 3,1975.

Bylaws were amended from single sex to coed, pronouns “she/her” were eliminated where appropriate, and changed “any women student” to “any student.”

Beta Chi won the college award in the Efficiency Rating Program in 1974-1975 and 1975-1976. The New York Alumnae chapter won the alumnae award in 1974-1975 and 1975-1976.

The 1974-1976 biennium showed further growth with the installation of 14 chapters.

Delta Eta, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston 9-12-74

Delta Theta, St. Cloud State University, Minnesota 11-2-74

Delta Iota, Metropolitan State College, Denver 11-10-74

Delta Kappa, Suffolk University, Boston, Massachusetts

Delta Lambda, University of Akron, Ohio 5-9-75

Delta Mu, University of Texas-Austin 9-2-75

Delta Nu, Menlo College, Menlo Park 1975

Delta Xi, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant 11-23-75

Delta Omicron, S.W. Texas State University, San Maxcos 1975

Delta Pi, College of Saint Elizabeth, Convention Station, New Jersey

Delta Rho, San Francisco State University

Delta Sigma, James Madison College, Harrisonburg, Virginia

Delta Tau, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge 4-8-76

Delta Upsilon, Western State College, Gunnison 5-1-76

Delta Phi, Trenton State College, New Jersey Feb. 1976

Delta Chi, California State University, Chico

Clifton Alumnae 10-4-75

Martin Alumnae Fall 1974

Memphis Alumnae Fall 1974

Mobile Alumnae 5-24-75

The following chapters were reactivated:

Chi 4-1975

Alpha Epsilon 4-12-75

Colorado Alpha 7-26-75

At the 1975 Executive Council Meeting the Re-Districting Committee chaired by Lucy Middleton presented proposals, which were adopted by the Executive Council, which changed the number of districts to ten, and redistributed chapters as necessary. With the November 1975 issue The IRIS was presented in a larger physical format, and Irene Lane replaced Frances J. Markwardt as editor.

The twenty-seventh Biennial Meeting was held at the Pittsburgh Hyatt House in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 20-25, 1978, with Angela Loyola Settell, National President (second term), presiding. At the 1978 Biennial Meeting, a Committee was established to develop plans to establish a national fraternity headquarters. Ann Blaskovich, incoming National President and Angela L. Settell, National President were the members of this implementation task force. This task force was charged with the primary responsibility of relocating the National Headquarters office. In addition a second responsibility was given to the task force by the National Councilors to the 1978 Biennial Meeting “to formulate specific short and long range financial plans for investment and operating expenses.” The Buy-A-Brick campaign was established to provide funds so that a national headquarters building could be purchased. It started on October 1, 1978, with a goal of $100,000 in one year. Amelia Hartman, Northeastern District and New York Alumnae, served as first chairman. SisterJane Scully, President, Carlow College, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, became a National Honorary Member in June 1978. Elsa Mueller, Grand President 1932-1934, died September 25, 1977. In the Efficiency Rating Program contest, the collegiate award went to Beta Xi in 1976-1977 and Beta Iota for 1977-1978. The alumnae award went to New York for 1976-1977 and 1977-1978.

The Professional Panhellenic Association (PPA), founded in 1925, and the Professional Interfraternity Conference (PIC), founded in 1928, met jointly and voted separately to consolidate into Professional Fraternity Association (PFA) October 19-22, 1977. The PPA women’s professional fraternities represented nine professional fields, and PIC men’s professional fraternities represented eleven professional fields.

In the biennium the following chapters were installed:

Delta Psi, Seton Hall University, South Orange, New Jersey Jan 1977

Delta Omega, Slippery Rock State College, Pennsylvania 1977

Epsilon Alpha, Carlow College, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1977

Epsilon Beta, St. Joseph’s College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 3-19-78

Epsilon Gamma, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo 4-1-78

Boston Alumnae was reactivated October 1, 1977.

The twenty-eighth Biennial Meeting was held at the Sheraton-Anaheim Hotel in Anaheim, California, June 17-22, 1980 with Anna Rose Blaskovich, National President, presiding. Cameron Cooper, Treasurer, Atlantic Richfield, Los Angeles, California, and Dr. Eden Ryle, President and Chief Executive Officer, Ramic Productions, Newport Beach, California, were installed as National Honorary Members. Buy-A-Brick Campaign, officially “kicked off” October 1, 1978, was extended another year to expire July 31, 1981. In the ERP contest, the collegiate award went to Beta Chi for 1978-1979 and 1979-1980. The alumnae award went to New York for 1978-1979 and 1979-1980.

The National Counselors to the 1980 Biennial Meeting approved Indianapolis, Indiana, as the city for the national headquarters office. With the expansion of duties, the title of Executive Secretary was changed to Executive Director. Jill Campbell was employed to supervise this office in February 1981, working with Jessie Erickson, Executive Secretary, to provide for a smooth transition of operations in August 1981.

During the 1978-1980 biennium chapters were installed:

Epsilon Delta, University of Connecticut, Stors 4-29-79

Epsilon Epsilon, University of New Hampshire, Durham 5-12-79

Lake Charles Alumnae Feb. 1979

Minneapolis Alumnae Feb. 1980

Houston Alumnae Apr. 1980

Tacoma Alumnae Fall 1979

Dallas Alumnae was reactivated in the fall of 1979. Chicago Alumnae celebrated the chapter’s 50th anniversary in 1980.

The twenty-ninth Biennial Meeting was held at the Knickerbocker Hotel in Chicago, Illinois, June 6-11, 1982, with Anna Rose Blaskovich, National President (second term), presiding. Dr. Jean Mater, Vice President, Mater Engineering LTD., Corvollis, Oregon, was inducted as a National Honorary Member. Jessie Erickson officially retired as Executive Secretary July 31, 1981. National Headquarters office was moved to Indianapolis, Indiana, and officially opened August 1, 1981, with Jill Campbell as Executive Director. The collegiate winner of the ERP was Beta Chi for 1981-1982, and the alumnae winner was NewYork for 1981-1982. Angela Settell was elected President of the Professional Fraternity Association (PFA), in Scottsdale, Arizona, for the term September 1981-1983. The following chapters was installed during the biennium:

Epsilon Zeta, San Jose State University, California 12-18-81

Beta Beta, which became inactive in 1974, was reactivated December 5, 1981.

The thirtieth Biennial Meeting was held at the Airport Hilton Inn in Indianapolis, Indiana, July 24-28, 1984, with Mary Ellen Lewis, National President, presiding. At the Biennial Meeting a Executive Policy Board was established to assure the second responsibility that had been assigned to the Implementation Task Force at the 1978 Biennial Meeting. Additional responsibilities were outlined. The Board is comprised of the current National President, Immediate Past National President and a third member to be a former national officer with accounting/financial background. The third member is approved by the Executive Council. The Immediate Past President serves as chairman.

Dr. Jean M. Thomas, Dean of Student Development, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, was welcomed as a National Honorary Member.

The Efficiency Rating Program (ERP) awards for the collegiate category went to Beta Chi for both 1983 and 1984. The alumnae awards went to New York in 1983 and New Brunswick, New Jersey, in 1984.

During the biennium, the following chapters were installed:

Epsilon Eta, Florida Atlantic University, Lake Worth 11-13-82

Epsilon Theta, South Carolina State College, Orangeburg 10-17-82

Epsilon Iota, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 10-20-82

Epsilon Kappa, Northwood Institute, Midland, Michigan 5-6-84

Birmingham, Alabama Alumnae 9-17-83

Delaware Valley Alumnae 10-9-83

The thirty-first Biennial Meeting was held at the Carrousel Inn in Cincinnati, Ohio, July 16-19, 1986, with Danity M. Little, National President, presiding. At the end of the 1984-1986 biennium there were 59 collegiate chapters and 19 alumnae chapters. Total initiated membership was 34,335; 1855 active collegiate members, 301 active alumni members and 310 life members.

Male membership continued to grow, with a number of chapters installing male officers. The 1982-1984 Biennium saw the first male district director, Kevin Brown in Southeastern; and the first male alumni chapter president, George Fong, Tacoma.

At the 1986 Biennial Meeting the National Councils approved redistricting to five regions. The purpose was changed to reflect the change to coed membership. A Mission Statement was adopted. Biennial Meetings were changed to Triennial Meetings. Marge Schott (owner, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer, and President of the Cincinnati Reds baseball team) was welcomed as National Honorary Member. In the Efficiency Rating Program, Beta Chi was the collegiate winner form 1984-1985, and New Brunswick, New Jersey, won the alumni division. From 1985-1986, Delta Theta won the collegiate division, and Chicago Alumni won the alumni division. In 1986, the Beta Chi Chapter was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

The following chapters were installed:

Epsilon Zeta, San Jose State University

San Jose Alumni

Tacoma, Washington Alumni

Twin Cities Alumni

Cincinnati Alumni, installed at the Biennial Meeting 7-16-86

The thirty-second National Chapter Meeting (65th birthday/anniversary) and the first Triennial Meeting was held August 9-12, 1989, at the Hyatt Orlando Hotel in Kissimmee, Florida, with Irene Meyer, National President, presiding. The theme of the Meeting was “Grow Team Grow.” Forty-three chapters were represented by the National Councilors: thirty-five from collegiate chapters and eight from alumni chapters. The position of National Representative was approved at the 1989 Triennial Meeting to assist chapters with problems, visit potential chapters, and follow-up after installation. Approved the creation of a new National office-Vice President of Alumni Affairs and eliminated the office of Vice President of Expansion and Membership Development. Approved renaming “Alumna-at-Large” to “Alumni (No Local Chapter).” Approved the Bylaws Amendment cancelling any association with the so-called Phi Chi Theta Foundation; the Phi Chi Theta Foundation was a separate corporation from Phi Chi Theta, Inc. Established a permanent scholarship fund, named the Anna E. Hall Memorial Award; principal to remain intact and interest used to provide yearly scholarships. Inducted into the first Alumni Hall of Fame at the 1989 Triennial Meeting were all past Grand/National Presidents, Founders and Charter Members, and Jessie M. Erickson, Executive Director, retired. Present at the Alumni Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony were Ordry Palmer Ray (National President 1954-1956), Mary Seymour (National President 1956-1958), Mildred Ruth Marion (National President 1964-1966), Caroline Hoff Harmon (National President 1970-1972 and 1972-1974), Mary Ellen Lewis (National President 1980-1982 and 1982-1984), Danity M. Little (National President 1984-1986), and Irene M. Meyer (National President 1986-1989). No National Honorary Member was welcomed at the 1989 Triennial Meeting. The number of Regions was reduced to four.

Jill Campbell resigned in August 1989 as Executive Director to accept a position with Alpha Kappa Psi as editor of its magazine and director of fundraising, and Arlene Maass was employed as Executive Director, resulting in the National Office move from Indianapolis, Indiana, to Wood Dale, Illinois.

The 1982 Biennial Meeting approved an Executive Policy Board, and the Executive Policy Board was implemented for the 1986-1989 Triennium, composed of the immediate Past National President as chairman (Danity M. Little), current National President (Irene M. Meyer), and a former National Officer approved by the Executive Council (Mary Seymour, Past National President).

At the end of the triennium (1986-1989) there were_________ active members (including ____ Life Members and _______ alumni with no local chapter); ____________ inactive members, and ______ deceased members; total initiated members 1099. Chapters included _____ collegiate and _____ alumni.

January 18, 1988, the Fraternity suffered the loss of the last surviving founder, Anna E. Hall, and National Honorary Member, Leonor K. Sullivan, died September 1, 1988.

During the 1986-1989 triennium the following chapters were installed:

Epsilon Lambda, Juniata College, Huntington, Pennsylvania 9-14-86

Epsilon Mu, St. John’s University, Staten Island, New York 5-9-87

Epsilon Nu, Norte Dame College, Akron, Ohio 11-8-87

Epsilon Xi, Southeastern University, Washington, D.C. 2-4-89

Epsilon Omicron, Point Loma Nazerene College, San Diego, California 5-20-89

Alpha Mu Chapter was reactivated August 12, 1989 at the Triennial Meeting.

The thirty-third National Chapter Meeting (sixty-eighth birthday) was held June 23-28, 1992 at the Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, with the Atlanta Alumni Chapter serving as host and Naomi Satterfield, National President, presiding. The theme of the Meeting was “Changes-Challenges-Choices.” Forty-six chapters were represented by National Councilors. At the end of the triennium there were 1837 active members (including 89 Life Members and 10 alumni (with no local chapter)): _______ inactive members, and ____ deceased members; total initiated members __________. Chapters included 45 collegiate and 11 alumni. The Anna E. Hall Memorial Awards were presented to: Anna E. Hall Scholarship to Melanie Susanna Green, Epsilon Sigma Chapter, Shorter College, and the Anna E. Hall Alumni Achievement Award to Mildred Ruth Marion, Chicago Alumni Chapter. Inducted into the Alumni Hall of Fame at the 1992 Triennial Meeting: Naomi Satterfield, National President; Leslie A. Trout, Executive Director, and Greg Holden, Eastern Regional Director. The 20th National Honorary Member, Mrs. Lynn Morley Martin, U.S. Secretary of Labor, was inducted by proxy at the 1992 Triennial Meeting.

Phi Chi Theta was represented at the Professional Fraternity Association in Washington, D.C., in 1989 by Danity Little; in Scottsdale, Arizona, September 12-15, 1990, and in Myrtle Beach, S.C., September 26-29, 1991, (14th Annual Meeting) by Naomi Satterfield.

Phi Chi Theta was represented at the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) in San Francisco, California, in April 22-25, 1990, by Naomi Satterfield, National President, and in St. Louis, Missouri, in April 1991 by Leslie Trout, Executive Director.

The position of National Representative was approved at the 1989 National Chapter Meeting, and Dino Cantrell, Atlanta Alumni Chapter, was employed, January 5, 1990, as the first full-time National Representative. This position will help chapters in need of assistance, visit potential new chapters, and follow-up after installation. In January 1991, Dino Cantrell was appointed chairman of the Bylaws Committee, and Leslie A. Trout assumed the position of National Representative.

A two-day Leadership Conference was held in Indianapolis, Indiana, in August 1989 for newly elected National Officers, and to inventory and pack for the move of the Central Office form Indianapolis to Wood Dale, Illinois. In July 1991, Arlene Maass resigned as Executive Director of Phi Chi Theta, and Leslie A. Trout was employed to that position, resulting in moving the Central Office of Phi Chi Theta from Wood Dale, Illinois, to College Station, Texas. Items purchased for the Central Office: 386/33 MHZ computer, Laser printer, Alpha Four, membership database, and PeachTree Complete, accounting software.

The national magazine , THE IRIS, was published in Gainesville, Georgia, Vivian Conklin as Editor, and reverted to its orginal size (6x9) (Spring 1989 issue), however, the last issue of the triennium (Spring 1992) was again changed to a larger magazine format (8 ½ x 11). Several other publications started during the triennium were: CONNECTIONS-National Alumni Directory of Phi Chi Theta; THE WILD WILD WEST-Western Region newsletter; DIVISION DYNAMICS-Eastern Region newsletter; and CENTRAL REGION NEWSLETTER.

Many chapters during the triennium were active in “Adopt-A-Highway-Litter Control” and this became a major project. The National Fund Raiser (Bowl-A-Thon) continued as chapter projects and was very successful. Contributions from chapters totaled almost $7,400 for 1991-1992. Proceeds from the Fund Raisers are invested and income allocated to expenses of the National Chapter Meeting. Certificates of Appreciation were presented to chapters for “Fund Raiser” participation.

Efficiency Rating Program (ERP) winners were:

1989-1990 Beta Chi, University of Tennessee-Martin, (collegiate chapters)

Atlanta Alumni, Atlanta, Georgia, (alumni chapters)

1990-1991 Beta Chi, University of Tennessee-Martin, (collegiate chapters)

Atlanta Alumni, Atlanta, Georgia, (alumni chapters)

1991-1992 Beta Chi, University of Tennessee-Martin, (collegiate chapters)

Atlanta Alumni, Atlanta, Georgia, (alumni chapters)

There were five collegiate chapters installed during the 1989-1992 triennium;

Epsilon Pi, Kutztown University, Kutztown, Pennsylvania 10-7-89

Epsilon Rho, West Georgia College, Carrollton, Georgia 5-27-90

Epsilon Sigma, Shorter College, Rome, Georgia 2-3-91

Epsilon Tau-Not Installed

Epsilon Upsilon, Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana 4-13-91

Epsilon Phi, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 9-28-91

and -reactivated:

Gamma Xi, Pace University, New York, New York 4-11-92

Pittsburgh Alumni, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Fall 1989

Washington, D.C. Alumni 8-11-90

San Francisco Alumni 1990

Chapters became inactive during the tirennium:

Gamma, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon

Upsilon, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia

Gamma Theta, Stetson University, DeLand, Florida

Gamma Phi, Waynesburg College, Waynesburg, Pennsylvania



Delta Rho, San Francisco State, San Francisco, California
Download 86.44 Kb.

Share with your friends:




The database is protected by copyright ©ininet.org 2022
send message

    Main page