Glen Stewart died in very tragic circumstances in 1992. He was 55, having entered first year in 1949. Some of his school friends were able to attend his funeral.
Gordon Stewart (1947) of Tayport retired in 1998 as Deputy Rector of Dundee High School. Gordon spent his entire career at Dundee High School beginning as a teacher of history and geography and then as headmaster of history. In 1972 he was promoted assistant rector and he became deputy rector in 1975. Gordon was a rugby blue and his sporting talents led him to take rugby and athletics squads at Dundee High School.
Mrs Helen McGregor (née Stewart) (1946) died very suddenly on 8th August 2010. Helen married Alistair McGregor and it was only after she had her two children that her musical career began to take shape. She obtained a teaching Diploma in Music, travelling back and forth from Fife to Edinburgh while she studied. She began her teaching career in Glenrothes High School and then moved to Glenwood High School as Principal Teacher of Music, a role which naturally involved her in end of term shows and concerts.
Her experience in these events was transferred also to many extra-curricular organisations, as she become involved in the Schools Orchestra, the Schools Choir, Fife Symphonia and Fife Opera.
As she was primarily a singer, she was a member of the former Scottish Philharmonic Singers under Ian McCrorie, the Scottish Chorus and the John Currie Singers, the Edinburgh Festival Chorus and, most recently, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra Chorus. She was frequently selected for smaller groups or ensembles. In her role as Principal Teacher she organised long-stay trips away with pupils to such places as Bonskeid House and her membership of other organisations took her to Israel, France and Germany.
Helen was predeceased by her daughter and is survived by her husband and son.
Ian Webster Stewart
Ian Webster Stewart entered BBS in 1939. After School he attended the School of Architecture from 1944-45 and Dundee College of Art from 1948-1952. He became an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects and of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland. He became Assistant Director of Architectural Services with Fife Regional Council and retired owing to ill health in 1985. He died in April 2012.
Ian was born in Cupar and spent all of his life in the town, attending Castlehill Primary and Bell Baxter High. On leaving school he studied architecture at Dundee College of Art. He had to break off from his studies to undertake his national service. He joined the Royal Navy and served three years onboard HMS Swiftsure. Afterwards, he returned to his studies and graduated in 1951.
Ian joined Fife Council and worked from Cupar County Buildings. After local government reorganisation, his offices moved to Fife House where he became assistant director for architecture. Over his working life he was involved in designing many notable projects, including being the project architect on the Madras College Kilrymont site which opened in 1967. He also designed the Lochgelly Centre with its theatre, sports facilities and exhibition rooms. It was opened in 1976 by the Duke of Edinburgh.
In the fifties, he played in goal for Thanes of Fife hockey team and in the sixties joined the Howe of Fife RFC where he played on the wing. He used his architectural skills to help the club develop their club rooms and their Duffus Park site. He also designed the Howe badge worn with pride by so many players over the years. The club honoured him by electing him club president from 1969-71.
In the late sixties and seventies, with his rugby playing days over, Mr Stewart rekindled his interest in hockey and became coach for the Bell Baxter FP women's team.
He also had a passion for genealogy and he researched the family tree back to 1625 in Aberlemno. Through his endeavours many family links were re-established in the UK and also from as far as North America and New Zealand.
Another passion was for poetry and he was published in a collection of Scottish poets in 1995.
In the late eighties, he developed rheumatoid arthritis and had to retire from architecture.
Mr Stewart was married to Rose and was father of Rorie and the late Fionn (qv).
He is also survived by his three grandsons David, Thomas and Cameron, his sisters and brother and their families.
Son Rorie paid tribute, saying: ‘Throughout his life he showed great kindness with a keen wit and a no-nonsense outlook on life. He leaves many visible treasures behind — buildings, drawings, caricatures, poetry — but the most important to himself was his family.'
James Stewart died on 17th October 1993 aged 64. Jimmy belonged to Monimail and his career was spent as a joiner with the local Council. He is survived by his wife Dorothy, daughter Catherine and son Grant.
John Allan Stewart
Allan Stewart was School Captain in 1959-60.
The entry about him on Wikipedia is as follows:
(John) Allan Stewart (born 1 June 1942), is a former British Conservative politician.
Educated at Bell Baxter High School, St. Andrews University and Harvard University, where he obtained a first class degree, he was a lecturer in Political Economy at St. Andrews before unsuccessfully standing for the Dundee East constituency in 1970. He was briefly a councillor in the London Borough of Bromley in the mid-1970s. He was elected MP for East Renfrewshire in 1979 and continued as MP in its successor Eastwood from 1983 until 1997. He served two spells as Under-Secretary of State for Scotland at the Scottish Office, from 1981 to 1986 and from 1990 to 1995.
He was forced to resign his ministerial post after an incident in February 1995 when he brandished a pickaxe at demonstrators who were protesting at the construction of the M77 motorway. Stewart was hospitalised after suffering a nervous breakdown in March 1997. He stood down, not seeking re-election to Parliament in the General Election held on 1 May that year, and retired from politics altogether.