Skill: * Set up a wireless connection
Introduction #12: The BrailleNote has a web browser application called Key Web. As with web browsers such as Internet Explorer and Firefox, Key Web can be used to read and interact with web pages. You can conduct a search using google, check your facebook page, or download a book from Bookshare. There are many ways to use Key Web for completing Internet tasks.
The first job to be done is to set up the wireless connection. Students may help with this task so that setting up a wireless connection can be completed in other environments more independently. Students may want to use a wireless connection at home or in a public library.
Work Time #12: This lesson assumes you are using a BrailleNote MPower or an Apex using the BT (braille style) keyboard. The lesson also assumes you are familiar with the parts and keys of the BrailleNote.
Below is a sample of how to connect the BrailleNote to wireless Internet that is an open connection with no password required. Setting up a wireless or LAN connection varies depending on the settings that are in place. For school connections, the IT staff may be able to help. It is often helpful to have HumanWare tech support on the phone while working with IT staff. Arrange times with all concerned ahead of time if possible.
Sample of Setting Up a Wireless Connection:
1. Turn BrailleNote on.
2. Press space + o to open the options menu.
3.Press letter c (dots 1 4) to open the connectivity options.
4. "Connectivity menu" is displayed.
5. Press letter w (dots 2 4 5 6) to open the setup options for wireless internet.
6. "Wireless Ethernet on? Currently no" is displayed. Press letter y (dots 1 3 4 5 6) to turn wireless on.
7. "Wireless Ethernet menu" is displayed. Press letter s (dots 2 3 4) to scan for available connections.
8. "List of available connections" is displayed. Space and backspace through the list to find your connection. Space will move forward through the list. Backspace will move back through the list.
9. The name of my connection is "Mauer Family Connection". BrailleNote displays "1. Ssid: Mauer Family Connection". Press enter on the name of the connection name you need.
10. "Entry list for connection configurations" is displayed. Down arrow to the first field.
11. "Connection configuration name?" is displayed along with the name of your connection name. Press advance thumb-key to move to the next field.
12. "Obtain an IP address automatically? Yes" is displayed. In my case, I leave this and other settings as they are. However, settings may vary. Advance thumb-key to continue.
13. "use a proxy server for this connection? No" is displayed. If I wanted the option to say yes, I could press y for yes. I'm leaving my setting at no, but if I did change to "yes" other fields and choices would become available.
14. Press space + h at any time to get help.
15. When you finish with the settings, press e chord (e +_ space).
16. "Add this record?" is displayed. Press y for yes.
17. The record will be added. Press e chord to back up a level.
18. "Wireless Ethernet menu" is displayed. Space to "reconnect using existing configurations" and press enter.
19. If your settings are correct, you will be connected to the wireless connection.
20. You will not have to repeat this process each time you connect.
Quiz Yourself 12: After reading the paragraphs and following the steps in Work Time, take this quiz. Questions are taken from this lesson or prior lessons.
If the statement is true, write or say true. Write or say false if the statement is false.
1. Space + o will open the options menu.
2. Space + dots 3 4 will toggle among choices.
3.To exit a document, use e chord (e + space).
4. Press back thumb-key + space to turn the speech off.