NAIA Dr. LeRoy Walker Champions of Character Award
The Dr. LeRoy WalkerChampions of Character Award is one of the most prestigious awards in the NAIA and was created as part of the NAIA’s association with Citizenship Through Sports Alliance (CTSA), a group of sports organizations that promote and recognize sportsmanship. All NAIA student-athletes are eligible for this award based on the outlined criteria.
Dr. LeRoy Walker was President Emeritus of the United States Olympic Committee and served as president through the 1996 Atlanta Summer Games. Dr. Walker was a graduate of Benedict College (S.C.) and was a former president of the NAIA. In 1995, Dr. Walker was recognized with the Service Master-NAIA Distinguished Graduate of the Year Award.
1. Any NAIA active member institution may nominate one student by completing and submitting the enclosed nomination form with the required signatures and supporting materials to the Conference Commissioner for that institution.
RECEIPT DEADLINE TO CONFERENCE/A.I.I.: OCTOBER 15
RECEIPT DEADLINE BY CONFERENCE/A.I.I. TO NATIONAL OFFICE: NOVEMBER 1
SUBMIT TO Champions of Character Awards Committee, Attn. Kathy Busch at email@example.com
2. Required supporting materials must include:
a. A signed letter from the institution’s registrar confirming the nominee’s grade point average. Transcripts will not be accepted.
b. A listing of the nominee’s academic, athletic and/or community recognition. Please list by area and year.
c. Maximum of three letters of recommendation including a letter about how the student-athlete demonstrates character from the nominee’s coach plus two other representatives of the institution and/or the nominee’s home community. We encourage a teammate to write about the impact this person had had on his/her character development as a student-athlete. Additional materials will not be accepted.
d. An essay written by the nominee based on how he or she has demonstrated one of the core values of the Champions of Character initiative inside and outside of competition. Not to exceed 300 words in length.
1. Nominee must be a representative of an NAIA institution as a student-athlete.
2. Must be at least a junior academic status at the nominating institution at the time of nomination.
3. Must be “outstanding” in:
a. academic achievement (3.0 G.P.A or higher)
b. campus and community leadership
c. embracing the five core character values of the NAIA Champions of Characterinitiative
d. athletic achievement
A committee in each conference makes a single selection on behalf of the conference.
The supporting materials for the conference representative are forwarded by email to the National Office by the deadline. (The conference representative will receive a recognition certificate from the National Office.)
The NAIA will inform Conference Commissioners about the Dr. Leroy Walker national winner in December.
1. The NAIA will give a $1,000 award to the national winner’s institution’s general scholarship fund, in the winner’s name.
2. The national winner will receive a specially engraved plaque as a permanent memento of the honor.
3. The national winner is expected to attend the Annual NAIA Spring National Convention. Transportation will be provided.
Inquiries concerning this award program or the nomination process should be directed to:
Kathy Busch, Champions of Character Coordinator, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 816-595-8101 Fax: 816-595-8200