On January 18th the A’ grade students of our school visited both the folkloric and the municipal museums in the city of Ioannina aiming to information collection concerning the objects of the Epirotic folkloric civilization. Those objects are: household supplies, traditional costumes, silver and gold craftsmanship, agricultural tools etc.
THE MUNICIPAL MUSEUM
Exterior aspects of the museum
The Municipal Museum is housed in the former Aslan Mosque inside the city’s castle. It was built in 1618 by Aslan pasha after the unsuccessful rebellion of Dionysus the Philosopher in 1611.
There are some other constructions around the mosque which all together make a complex of Muslim buildings.
The exhibits have been separated into three sections according to their origin in: Greek, Jewish and Turkish.
In a showroom dedicated to the Greek community one can see local traditional costumes.
Also, weapons of the 18th and 19th century are exhibited in the museum.
The museum has been working since October 1987. It was built about 1800-1808 and it belonged to Arife or Raze and Safie, the widow and daughter respectively of Ahmet Musli. Before the liberation of the city it was used as a Turkish Primary school. In the past this building was used to house the Ioannina School (1913- 1936), the teachers’ college (1934-1938 and 1941-1944), the boys’ school and a technical school.
The museum’s exhibits include objects of the Epirotic folkloric civilisation of the 19th and 20th centuries. The objects that can be found in there are : a) male and female traditional costumes, b) embroidery and weaving works, c) pottery works, d) silver and gold craftsmanship works, e) stone and wood carving works, f) domestic pots and pans, g) agricultural tools etc.
The traditional costumes we saw inside the museum are the following: