Please fill out this form on a computer; it should not be handwritten. Name of Library: _______________________________________________________________________
Librarian and Title: _______________________________________________________________________
Name of Institution: ____________________________________________________________________
If you have not previously been accredited at the Basic Level, then please complete that application form as part of your submission for Advanced Level accreditation.
___ I have previously received Basic Level accreditation.
___ My Basic Level application is enclosed.
Please use additional pages, if needed, to answer all of the questions below, and send in copies of supporting documents. Following the questions, you will find a Checklist that should be used as an outline to help you respond.
1. Describe the Library's administrative structure. Is there an active Library Committee? (required for synagogues and centers; recommended for schools)
2. Describe staffing and job responsibilities for each position. If volunteers are on staff, explain the way
in which they are trained, assigned tasks and supervised.
3. How is the Library Budget determined? Who determines the Budget? List sources of funding for the
library. Are they adequate? Is there a specific Library Budget Line in the Institution's overall budget?
4. Describe the policies and procedures, formal and informal, which guide the acquisition and use of library materials, explaining how teachers and others are involved.
Describe method for reviewing, weeding, and taking inventory of the collection.
Describe the extent to which the library's collection addresses the varieties of Jewish experience. What strengths and weaknesses are apparent in these aspects of the library?
5. Describe how patrons are guided in accessing the information resources available to them through the library.
a. Is technology currently integrated in the Library?
b. Is there a long-range plan for further integrating technology in the Library? If so, describe the plans for meeting present and future technology needs.
6. Describe the different groups of Library users you serve and how they use the library.
Describe the Library Program and the ways in which it supports and complements the programs of the synagogue, center, and/or school.
Evaluate the adequacy of the collection and services in relation to programming needs.
7. In what ways could the Library program, facilities or collection be improved? Describe any plans for changes or improvements in the near future. Include photographs of the facility.
8. Describe library outreach efforts to the following constituencies: institutional affiliates; local community; parent body if in a school setting; library groups (Jewish and general)
E. Has a separate children's space
VIII. Intra-Organization and Inter-Library Relations
The library is a member of the Association of Jewish Libraries and a local or regional
AJL chapter (if available)
Other professional memberships and activities
The library cooperates with other libraries and organizations
(presenting programs, promoting libraries and literacy, publicizing Jewish books to the larger community, networking, sharing programs, etc.)
Please email this form and, if a day school, please make sure to include the supplementary school application form to email@example.com and mail all supporting documents to: Rachail Kurtz, Yeshivah of Flatbush H.S., 1609 Avenue J, Brooklyn, N.Y. 11230.