VBC/MVP 2014 Youth Baseball Coach’s Clinics
Sunday, March 9 – Paul VI High School – Fairfax, VA
Preregister online at www.virginiabaseballclub.com Registration
12:45-1:00 – Coaches Registration
Opening 1:05pm – 1:25pm
Setting the Table for a Successful Season – Coach Steve Mrowka. Creating an Enjoyable Game, Good Coaching Skills for Improving Player Skills
Break Out Sessions: 1:30pm – 3:30pm T-Ball, Single A (Rookie), and AA – Mike Murray
Take VBC Online Coach Certification Test before April 1
“Quality Instruction Since 1992”
MIKE MURRAY, VBC Owner and General Manager
Coach Murray has directed the Virginia Baseball Club since 1992. He has been coaching varsity level baseball since 1988. Since 2003 he has been the assistant varsity baseball coach at Yorktown High School (Eight National District Championship Titles). Mike spent four years as the associate head varsity baseball coach at O'Connell High School (WCAC Champs and #3 ranking in Washington Post in 2001), after spending the previous seven years as the head varsity baseball coach at Wakefield High School. Among the teams Mike has managed include the Arlington American Legion Post 139, Alexandria American Legion Post 129 (co-founder). Mike taught Sociology and Psychology at Yorktown and Washington-Lee HS for 22 years. He was named in "Who's Who Among American Teachers" in 2006. Mike is the author of two baseball books, "Complete Baseball Coach's Handbook" and "Youth Baseball Coach's Playbook." Mike has presented at dozens of coaching workshops nationally and internationally as a certified trainer for the Positive Coaching Alliance and for Major League Baseball International - Latin America. In February 2006, Coach Murray was recognized by the International Sport Institute (click on name above for more information) as one of nine coaches nationwide for his work in promoting a positive sports culture in his community.
STEVE MROWKA, VBC Instructor/College Baseball Advisor
Steve Mrowka joins the VBC staff after a summer season as the Bench Coach for the Worcester Tornadoes in the Can Am Professional Baseball League. Prior to coaching in the pro ranks, he coached at the collegiate level for 22 years (8 years at George Washington University and 14 years at Georgia College & State University). Coach Mrowka brings a very successful coaching resume:
- Proven winning coach: 609 career wins as college head coach in 19 seasons; 150 wins in NCAA sanctioned collegiate summer baseball leagues;
- Program builder: built Georgia College & State University (GCSU) into a NCAA II national powerhouse, with regular NCAA tournament appearances and national rankings; at The George Washington University (GW), 2nd all-time in baseball coaching wins (202).
- Talent developer: in addition to developing numerous All-Conference and All-American players, coached 135 student-athletes who have signed to play professional baseball – including eight first-round selections and 17 major leaguers;
Out of high school, Coach Mrowka attended Bates College in Lewiston, ME, where he was a letterman in football, ice hockey, and baseball. After freshman year, he transferred to Polk Community College in Winter Haven, FL, where he earned an associates degree and was an all-state shortstop. Following junior college, he enrolled at the University of North Carolina where he was a two-year starter in the Tar Heel's infield and earned a degree in physical education. In addition to playing in the prestigious Cape Cod and Alaska Baseball Leagues, he was a ninth-round draft choice of the Boston Red Sox in 1985. Coach Mrowka was in spring training when an elbow injury ended his baseball career. After his playing career, he spent two years at the University of Georgia, earning a M.Ed. in Sport Management.
Jeff Nolan, Head Varsity Baseball Coach at PVI High School
-28 years, 11th at PVI.
Personal History and Honors:
- High School teammate of Mark McGwire.
- Former college player (Cal-Poly-Pomona... 1980 & 1983 NCAA Div.II National Champions) Played for College Coach of the Century and 1984 Olympic Coach: John Scolinous.
- Former Baseball Academy Director (Upland, CA.)
- Has guided Paul VI pitchers to 219 wins in 10 seasons seasons (an average of nearly 22 per year) Has produced dozens of college pitchers at PVI.
- Selected as an assistant coach in the Mid-Atlantic High School All-Star Game.
- Pitching Coach and Assistant General Manager for Recruiting for the Fairfax Nationals of the Clark C. Griffith Collegiate Baseball League (2006).
- BCA/Baseball America District 2 (Mid-Atlantic) "Assistant Coach of the Year" 2009.
AARON TARR – Head Varsity Baseball Coach at Marshall High School
Aaron has been a High School teacher in Arlington and Fairfax counties and is currently the head varsity baseball coach at Marshall High School. Coach Tarr has been an instructor at the VBC since 2009 and has worked extensively with youth baseball players. Aaron played at Yorktown High School as a three year varsity starter where he won all-district honors as a utility player, second baseman, and pitcher. He was a coach’s award and MVP award winner, as well as the team captain as a senior. Aaron played outfield and pitcher for Hamilton College in up-state New York, setting single season records for walks (35) and on-base percentage (.582), while batting .322 as a freshman. Aaron leads the Virginia Stars (17U) travel team and is the GM of the VBC Cadets Travel Team.