Sheraton station square pittsburgh, pa



Download 112.78 Kb.
Date07.02.2018
Size112.78 Kb.
#40280

COATINGS

OCTOBER 2011

CONFIRMED MINUTES

CONFIRMED MINUTES



OCTOBER 17 – OCTOBER 20, 2011

SHERATON STATION SQUARE

PITTSBURGH, PA
These minutes are not final until confirmed by the Task Group in writing or by vote at a subsequent meeting. Information herein does not constitute a communication or recommendation from the Task Group and shall not be considered as such by any agency.
MONDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2011 to THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2011
1.0 OPENING COMMENTS/INTRODUCTIONS - OPEN
Call to Order / Quorum Check
The Coatings Task Group (CT) was called to order at 8:00 a.m., 17-Oct-11.
It was verified that only SUBSCRIBER MEMBERS were in attendance during the closed portion of the meeting.
A quorum was established with the following representatives in attendance:
Subscriber Members/Participants Present (* Indicates Voting Member)





NAME

COMPANY NAME





*

Nicolas

Barthelemy

Eurocopter




*

Fabrice

Crabos

SAFRAN Group







Meghan

Gustafson

Honeywell Aerospace







Després

Laurent

SAFRAN Group




*

Dan

Loveless

Parker Aerospace Group







Raj

Nagarajan

General Dynamics Corp.




*

John

Nerz

GE Aviation




*

Robert

Nixon

Triumph Group Inc.




*

Clark

Okawa

Pratt & Whitney







Earl

Pruett

Lockheed Martin Corporation




*

Tim

Pruitt

Rolls-Royce plc

Chairperson / Proxy for Higgins

*

Jack

Saunders

Honeywell Aerospace







Steve

Starr

Honeywell Aerospace







Donald

Strickland

General Dynamics Corp.







Deborah

Vogel

Triumph Group Inc.







Sterling

Waters

Honeywell Aerospace




*

Jan

Wigren

Volvo Aero Corp.

Vice-Chairperson



Other Members/Participants Present (* Indicates Voting Member)





NAME

COMPANY NAME








Paula

Bartlett

Sulzer Metco (Canada) Inc.







Phillip

Bratton

Hohman Plating & Mfg Inc.







Mark

Dobrowski

Cincinnati Thermal Spray Inc.







Lane

Donoho

Praxair Surface Technologies







David

Eshleman

The Young Engineers




*

Dale

Harmon

Cincinnati Thermal Spray

Secretary

*

Anil

Joshi

Praxair Surface Technologies







Cindy

Klinger

Embee Inc.







Alexander

Klyuch

Blades Technology Ltd.







Holger

Kukla

Eifeler Beschichtungs Center GmbH







Andy

Mazzeo

TurboCombustor Technology Inc.







Bill

Miller

Hohman Plating & Mfg Inc.







Roger

Ng

Sulzer Metco (Canada) Inc.




*

John

Passmore

St. Louis Metallizing Company







Steve

Payne

Praxair Surface Technologies







Gregory

Penny

Embee Inc.







Bryan

Roberts

Heany Industries Inc.







Brian

Smith

Praxair Surface Technologies




*

Ronald

Stewart

Ellison Surface Technologies







Mitch

Tanner

Embee Inc.







Marc

Trepanier

Composites Atlantic Limited





PRI Staff Present





Jennifer

Kornrumpf










Jim

Lewis










Bob

Lizewski








1.1 Task Group Tutorial
Bob Lizewski presented a tutorial to explain the functions of Nadcap and the CTTG, including Antitrust, the Personal Code of Conduct and Ethics, Conflict of Interest, and Export Control to participants.
1.2 Agenda Review
The agenda for the meeting was reviewed.
1.3 Expectations
Attendees were given the opportunity to identify expectations to be addressed during the week of meetings. A list was started in the Closed meeting and reviewed again in the Open meeting. Expectations beyond agenda items included adhering to subscriber or industry requirements when reviewing checklists for revision; review of Top NCR’s; report out on the Auditor Conference held on Sunday; and completing AC7109/2 checklist revision.
1.4 Approval of June 2011 Minutes
The minutes of the June 2011 meeting held in London were approved without change.
1.5 Review Action Item List
The Action Item list was reviewed and updated for actions completed.
For specific details please see the Coatings Task Group Action Item List (RAIL) posted at www.eAuditNet.com.
2.0 REVIEW OF DELEGATION OVERSIGHT – CLOSED
Data was reviewed for Task Group concurrence with Audit Report Reviewer decisions. The delegated Audit Report Reviewers (Jim Lewis, Bob Lizewski and Jerry Polidor) met the criteria of over 10% audits reviewed and greater than 90% concurrence. Delegation is maintained.
3.0 REVIEW AUDITOR EVALUATIONS AND SUPPLIER FEEDBACK – CLOSED
The Auditor Evaluations and Supplier Feedback for all audits conducted between 01-Jun-11 and 30-Sep-11 were reviewed. All No’s in Supplier Feedback with each comment were also reviewed.
A report out was provided in the OPEN meeting. See Agenda Item 13.0.
There were no negative trends or issues which required further action.
4.0 MEMBERSHIP STATUS REVIEW – OPEN
The voting records and meeting attendance for Task Group Voting Members (Subscriber and Supplier) were reviewed for compliance to the requirements for maintaining membership. The requirements state that to maintain membership, a member must not be absent without approved alternate representation from three consecutive regular Nadcap Task Group meetings and the member, or approved alternate representation, shall not miss a vote on more than 2 consecutive letter ballots. The Task Group Chairperson is allowed to waive these requirements if other circumstances warrant retention.
All current Voting Members met the requirements for meeting attendance and letter ballot voting.
The Task Group approved Anil Joshi (Praxair Surface Technologies) as a Supplier Voting Member.
5.0 AUDITOR CHAT ROOM – CLOSED
An update of the chat room concept was presented. Hosting the forum on Google Groups is not feasible as 50% of the Task Group member companies restrict access to the site. The Task Group believes there is merit to this concept and would like PRI to host the forum on eAuditNet.
ACTION ITEM: Bob Lizewski to raise PRI hosting the auditor forum with SE SWAT and seek consensus to submit a request to IT for development of an auditor forum hosted on eAuditNet. (DUE DATE: 31-Jan-12)
5.0 SUCCESSION PLANNING – CLOSED
Tim Pruitt solicited volunteers to be the next Vice Chair in the succession plan. No volunteer came forward during the meeting. Mr. Pruitt expressed the desire to have the role filled by the end of the February 2012 meeting.
7.0 NUCAP DEVIATION REVIEW – CLOSED
There were no NUCAP deviations to review.
8.0 TASK GROUP RESOLUTION ISSUES – CLOSED
There were no Task Group resolution issues.
9.0 DATA ANALYSIS: TOP NCRS AND FROZEN PROCESS VIOLATIONS – OPEN
Bob Lizewski reviewed the Top NCRs and Frozen Process Violations. There has been a 38% reduction in frozen process violations in 2011 compared to 2009. The data is posted on eAuditNet Public Documents/Coatings/Data Folder. The data will be used to guide development of new tools, for example, an expanded operator test.
Several suggestions were made for improvements to the analysis: Top NCR - normalize the data to number of audits or total number of NCRs; group/categorize the NCRs and Frozen Process – break out initial and reaccreditation audits.
10.0 THERMAL SPRAY COATING INDUSTRY STANDARDS DISCUSSION – OPEN
Tim Pruitt introduced the topic of developing industry standards due to the limited number of industry standards and predominance of customer specifications used in Aerospace Coatings. There was general agreement that common standards would be a benefit to the aerospace industry, but the potential difficulties were acknowledged by nearly all members. John Nerz pointed out that a downside to industrial standards is the loss of control over requirements particularly on future revisions.
Common powder specifications were thought to be the best starting point. AMS 7875 is an existing powder specification and would be a good test to determine if the Primes could agree on adoption.
A subteam was formed to provide a recommendation for going forward. The subteam will look at the Pros and Cons, perform a gap analysis and quantify the benefits for the industry.
ACTION ITEM: Subteam comprised of Steve Payne (Praxair Surface Technologies), Dale Harmon (Cincinnati Thermal Spray), Ron Stewart (Ellison), Brent Bartlett (Sulzer Metco), Jack Saunders (Honeywell), Clark Okawa (Pratt and Whitney), and Bob Lizewski will provide a recommendation on the path forward for development of Industry Standards for Aerospace Coatings to be reviewed at the next meeting. (DUE DATE: 17-Feb-12)

11.0 NEW BUSINESS – CLOSED
11.1 Auditor Consistency Metrics
Bob Lizewski reviewed the auditor consistency metrics being proposed by the NMC auditor consistency subteam. The Task Group endorsed the metrics but intimated that they probably would not provide a lot of value for the Coatings Task Group. It was suggested that when the metrics are released for use an accompanying guide be provided to aid in interpretation of results.
11.2 Remove Scope Proposal
Bob Lizewski reviewed the SE SWAT removal of scope proposal with the Task Group. The Task Group did not agree with the proposal and were of the unified opinion that when a supplier holds an existing accreditation, they cannot remove a scope from their audit simply to avoid a negative audit outcome. A mechanism is provided through NOP-011 Mode A to stop an in process audit.
11.3 Task Group Expectation for Grouping NCRs
Bob Lizewski surveyed the Task Group expectation for grouping NCRs that was requested by the SE SWAT. Grouping is appropriate when more than one example of a violation to the same general requirement is identified.
11.4 Flowdown of Prime Requirements
A request was made by an auditor during the auditor conference for each Prime to create a one page summary of their own flow down requirements. In the past, Primes have reviewed their requirements using PowerPoint presentations during the auditor conference. While this was beneficial the auditors are looking for a cheat sheet that they can reference during the audit.
ACTION ITEM: Each Prime to develop a one page, high level summary of flow down requirements for reference by the auditor during the audit. This could be a flowchart showing the hierarchy of documents or a description of the order of precedence. (DUE DATE: 10-Jun-12)
12.0 NMC METRICS – OPEN
The NMC metrics were presented by Bob Lizewski and reviewed by the Task Group. Metrics exhibiting an acceptable “green” stoplight condition included Audit Capacity, Certifications Issued on Time, Supplier Cycle Time (Initial and Reaccreditation), Staff Cycle Time (Initial and Reaccreditation) and Task Group Cycle Time (Initial). Task Group Cycle Time (Reaccreditation) is yellow with actual of 9 days versus a goal of 8 days. % Suppliers on Merit exhibited a "red" stoplight condition.
The % Suppliers on Merit metric is 63% of those eligible as compared with a goal of 80%; but it is noted that the metric has improved over the past two years. The Task Group has previously initiated several actions to improve this.
13.0 AUDITOR EVALUATION REPORT OUT – OPEN
Bob Lizewski reported out on the outcome of the auditor review conducted during the closed Agenda Item 3.0. There are no significant issues or negative trends; overall, feedback has been positive.
The Task Group would like to see improved questions and methods of evaluation such as allowing suppliers to use a sliding scale (e.g. 1 – 5) instead of Yes or No for the Supplier Feedback Form.
ACTION ITEM: Bob Lizewski to raise the issue with SE SWAT and determine if there is support from other Task Groups to look at revising the Supplier Feedback Form (DUE DATE: 31-Jan-12)
ACTION ITEM: Dale Harmon (Cincinnati Thermal Spray) to raise the issue with SSC Leadership Team and determine if there is support to revise the Supplier Feedback Form (DUE DATE: 31-Jan-12)
14.0 FUTURE TASK GROUP INITIATIVES REVIEW – OPEN

The Task Group reviewed the list of proposed initiatives to be addressed in the future. Everyone is encouraged to send suggestions for consideration to the Chair or Staff Engineer.


15.0 PRIME JOB AUDIT GUIDELINE UPDATE – OPEN
Rolls-Royce plc has the only JAG in use, and they are being updated as checklists are revised.
ACTION ITEM: Bob Lizewski to create JAG templates for each checklist and send to the Primes (DUE DATE: 31-Dec-11)
16.0 HARMONIZATION OF MTL CHECKLIST UPDATE – OPEN
The Materials Testing Laboratories (MTL) Task Group in the June meeting agreed to harmonize the hardness sections of the MTL checklist with AC7109/5. A subteam was created to identify the differences between the two checklists. Brent Bartlett completed his review and presented it to Tim Myers of the MTL Task Group. Mr. Myers reported that he will work on this and have a report out for the February 2012 meeting.
17.0 PROMOTING SUPPLIER AWARENESS OF AVAILABLE TOOLS – OPEN
Dale Harmon, Coatings representative to the Supplier Support Committee (SSC), shared that the SSC had worked with PRI staff to have a generic version of the Coatings tools spreadsheet provided to all new supplier audit contacts registered in eAuditNet.
The Task Group also agreed to email a short survey to Coating suppliers to collect data on the use of the thermal spray operator test created in 2008 by the Task Group. The purpose is to investigate correlation between use of the test and a reduction in frozen process violations in audits.
Dale Harmon suggested that a link to the Coatings' tools spreadsheet be included with the survey emailed to all Coatings supplier contacts.
ACTION ITEM: Bob Lizewski to add a link to Supplier tools in the survey email. (DUE DATE: 30-Nov-11)
18.0 NEW TECHNOLOGIES/PROCESSES AND CHECKLIST DEVELOPMENT– OPEN
The CTTG reviewed three new technologies that were proposed in the Nadcap survey conducted earlier this year: cold spray, flame temperature monitoring and water jet stripping. Water jet stripping was included in a previous version of the AC7109/4 checklist and was intentionally removed. Cold spray and flame monitoring equipment are possible candidates for the future if and when they gain wider acceptance in the aerospace industry. It was decided that no action is warranted at this time.
19.0 Coatings Audit Hanbook Revisions – OPEN
The Coatings Audit Handbook was reviewed by the Task Group for possible changes proposed by Bob Lizewski. The proposed changes were accepted by the Task Group.
20.0 SMART CHECKLIST DISCUSSION – OPEN
A presentation from the Nadcap Management Council (NMC) Standardization sub-team concerning possible “smart” checklists (formerly known as checklists on demand) was reviewed. The Task Group was informed that a survey will be issued to all Task Group members in the near future to solicit feedback on the proposed options.
21.0 SUPPLIER SUPPORT COMMITTEE REPORT – OPEN
Dale Harmon (Cincinnati Thermal Spray), Coatings representative to the Supplier Support Committee (SSC), presented an overview of the SSC and items of interest from the SSC meeting held the previous afternoon. For complete details, see published minutes of the SSC posted on www.pri-network.org.
22.0 NMC MEETING REPORT – OPEN
Chairperson Tim Pruitt updated the CTTG on items of interest from the Nadcap Management Council (NMC) meeting earlier in the day. For complete details, see published minutes of the NMC posted on www.pri-network.org.
23.0 PLANNING AND OPS MEETING REPORT – OPEN
Chairperson Tim Pruitt and Staff Engineer Bob Lizewski briefed the CTTG on items of interest from the Planning and Ops meeting and Staff Engineer/Task Group Chair Roundtables. For complete details, see published minutes of the NMC posted on www.pri-network.org.
There was discussion concerning a proposal to change the Nadcap meeting schedule that includes moving the open NMC meeting from Wednesdays to Thursdays. There was consensus within the Task Group to maintain the traditional schedule with the NMC meeting on Wednesday.
ACTION ITEM: Bob Lizewski to convey Task Group consensus to maintain the traditional schedule with the NMC meeting on Wednesday during internal Nadcap Recap meeting. (DUE DATE: 17-Nov-11)
24.0 MICORANALYSIS CHECKLIST QUESTION REVIEW AND DISCUSSION OF ROUND ROBIN REQUIREMENTS IN AC7109/5 – OPEN
24.1 The microanalysis questions developed by the subteam were reviewed and modified. The revised questions will be sent back to the subteam for concurrence. Any additional changes will be reviewed during the AC7109/5 checklist revision review during the February 2012 meeting. In addition, it was proposed that microanalysis experts in the MTL Task Group review the questions and provide feedback.
ACTION ITEM: Microanalysis subteam and microanalysis experts in MTL Task Group to review modified questions and provide feedback. (DUE DATE: 20-Feb-12)
24.2 The round robin requirements in section 6.2 AC7109/5 Rev D were discussed. The presentation provided on eAuditNet as a supplier tool for round robin requirements was updated to reflect the requirements in AC7109/5 Rev D. Objective evidence was added to questions in section 6.2 to clarify the Task Group's expectations.
ACTION ITEM: Bob Lizewski to post revised internal round robin presentation to eAuditNet with additional example provided by Jan Wigren. (DUE DATE: 31-Oct-11)
25.0 REVISION OF COATINGS CHECKLIST AC7109/2 – OPEN
Revision of AC7109/2 was started at this meeting, and good progress was made. It is expected that the revision will be completed during the February meeting.
26.0 REVIEW EXPECTATIONS / NEW BUSINESS – OPEN
Expectations were reviewed and largely met. The revision to AC7109/2 was not completed.
The complete list of expectations included:

  • When reviewing checklists, ensure we adhere to requirement based questions

  • Ensure customer/specification requirements are flowed down into checklist revisions

  • Review top NCRs in Open meeting – see Agenda Item 9.0

  • Goal to complete AC7109/2 revision

  • Discuss round robin section 6.2 of AC7109/5 and update Round Robin presentation posted on eAuditNet – see Agenda Item 24.2

  • Job Tracker implementation – see Agenda Item 26.1

  • Auditor conference report out – see Agenda Item 26.2

26.1 The job tracker will be implemented on all audits starting on or after 06-Nov-11. The job tracker is defined in NTGOP-001 Appendix 9 and a template and example are posted on eAuditNet in public documents.


ACTION ITEM: Bob Lizewski to issue notification to suppliers about implementation of the job tracker starting on audits on or after 06-Nov-11. (DUE DATE: 28-Oct-11)
26.2 Bob Lizewski provided a summary of the auditor conference held on Sunday, 16-Oct-11. It was agreed that there is a need in future auditor conferences to document the guidance offered to auditors by subscribers and staff to allow suppliers to access the same information.
27.0 REVIEW NEW ACTION ITEMS – OPEN
New action items were documented by Task Group Secretary Dale Harmon. For details see the Coatings Action Item List (RAIL) posted at www.eAuditNet.com.
28.0 FACILITATOR FEEDBACK – OPEN
Bob Lizewski led a discussion on facilitator feedback for those members in attendance. The facilitator feedback form is attached to the minutes.
29.0 AGENDA FOR FEBRUARY 2012 MEETING – OPEN
Next meeting will be February 20-23 in San Diego, CA United States. Proposed agenda items beyond the standard items include:

  • Flow down presentation from Bodycote Bill Hewitt [45 minutes]

  • Report out- subteam and MTL review of microanalysis questions

  • Checklist revisions AC7109/2 and AC7109/5 – schedule earlier in Open meeting

  • Prime one page Flowdown

  • Review results of the supplier survey (operator exam)

  • Report out- Industrial Standards subteam – Recommendation on path forward

  • Discuss agenda going forward – Closed meeting 1/2 day? Could the closed meeting be moved to a different day?

  • Succession plan

  • Job tracker follow-up

  • MTL checklist harmonization update (Tim Myers)

The agenda will be posted and accessible at www.pri-network.org.


ADJOURNMENT – 20-Oct-11 – Meeting was adjourned at 3:30 p.m.
Minutes Prepared by:

Dale Harmon, dharmon@cts-inc.net

Bob Lizewski, lizewski@sae.org

***** For PRI Staff use only: ******


Are procedural/form changes required based on changes/actions approved during this meeting? (select one)
YES* NO

*If yes, the following information is required:


Documents requiring revision:

Who is responsible:

Due date:































Download 112.78 Kb.

Share with your friends:




The database is protected by copyright ©ininet.org 2022
send message

    Main page