As a group of archaeologists, you work with antiquities and bring to light ancient treasures hidden in the earth or sung in the seas. Your aim is to contact, understand and interpret ancient civilisations in order to make humanity familiar with its past.
1. Visit the following websites in order to gather information based on your role and try to find answers to the questions given:
As a group of Mechanical Engineers, you examine the application of science on the design and construction of kinetic systems, power production and transfer. A Mechanical Engineer tries to develop methods that can help his/her design, construct and put into order different mechanical systems.
As a group of sponge divers, your are interested in finding more about the Mechanism. The fact that you are familiar with diving and sea extreme situations, makes it easier for you to understand more about the complicated situations that influenced the Mechanism while in the sea and the need for repairs.
1. Visit the following websites about the Mechanism and its construction, and read carefully:
2. If you wish, the following book about the Mechanism can be borrowed from the school library:
* Λάζος, Χ. (1994). Ο υπολογιστής των Αντικυθήρων. Μηχανισμοί με διαφορικό γρανάζι. Αθήνα: Αίολος
Or you can read it online on:
3. Work on the Antikythera Mechanism mystery and try to find answers to questions like:
At what depth was the shipwreck found?
What was the first piece found? In what condition?
What were the decisions taken about the recovery operation?
Team D: The Scientists of the "Return to Antikythera" Project
As a group of scientists that have taken part in the "Return to Antikythera" Project funded by the “Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation” in September 2014, you are interested in examining the findings of the excavation that were brought to light. Your aim is to evaluate the new results of the project and provide new evidence and explanations to the existing ones.
1. Visit the following websites about the Project and read carefully:
2. Work on the Antikythera Mechanism mystery and try to find answers to questions like:
When did the new research take place?
What were the new findings?
In what condition were they found?
Was anything unexpected found?
What were the innovations used in this excavation?
Follow the links associated with the questions above and try to gather as much information as possible.You do not have to follow all of them as far as you find adequate responses to your questions while you should feel free to look into more websites if you want to. Don't forget to concentrate on your role. All decisions and their justifications should be written in the Process Page (Worksheet 1) in English. This Worksheet is a valuable tool where you can write down your ideas, thoughts and decisions, adding a short explanation. By the end of the whole process, you will be ready to recapitulate everything you have done.