Multiple Choice (2 points each)
1. The seizure and control of one country by another country is best referred to as . . .
a) imperialism b) militarism c) racism d) socialism
2. Which of the following was NOT a reason that prevented Europeans from conquering Africa early on?
Africa’s rivers were too hard to navigate
Europeans had no interest in Africa
Powerful African armies kept Europeans at bay
Disease kept a lot of Europeans out
3. What was a factor that made Africa vulnerable to European conquest?
The people on the continent lived too closely together
The people were not well united because of so many different languages
Africans were too greedy and wanted to profit from trade with Europeans
Africans were not used to fighting and warfare
4. Whose disappearance sparked worldwide interest in Africa?
5. Which country acquired the Congo Basin?
a) Belgium b) France c) Great Britain d) Germany
6. The belief that some cultures are better than others is summed up by the belief of _________________________ .
a) imperialism b) jingoism c) socialism d) Social Darwinism
7. Which of the following would have helped Europeans conquer Africa?