4. Liam has $12.30 in his pocket. He pays $6.50 for a movie ticket. He wants to buy some bagged candy before taking his seat in the theatre. Each bag of candy costs $1.75.
Write a linear equation that can be used to find the maximum number of bags of candy (c) that Liam can buy. Then determine how many bags can he buy.
Equation:_________________________ Answer: __________________ bags 5. What is the solution to ?
6. Multiply (
A. 4 B. 4 C. 5 D. 5
7. Find the x intercept and y intercept of 4x - 5y = 20
18. Sammie gets to spend 30 minutes on the computer for each hour of chores she does. She decides to do chores an additional 30 minutes sometimes to get extra computer time.
Next week she’ll work on chores for 6 hours; one hour per day with no time on Sunday. She also work an additional 30 minutes on of her work days next week.
How many total hours will she work on chores?
If she executes her plan next week, how much time will she get to spend on the computer?
19. The length of 1 side of a square is (s+5) cm. If the area of the square is 56.25, what is the value of “s”?
A. 2.5 B. 7.5 C. 12.5 D. 28.125
20. What is the best estimate of the solution of the system of equations shown below?
21. It costs $26,000 to fund a freshman football team. The players raised $12,200 through their sales. The remaining costs will be covered by ticket revenue. Tickets to the games cost $5 each. What is the minimum number of tickets needed to be sold to cover the cost of the team?
A. 4x5 B. 8x5 C. 32x5 D. 2x5
23. The graph of which equation has x-intercepts (4, 0) and (-3, 0)?
A. y = (x – 4) (x + 3) B. y = (x + 4) (x – 3) C. y = (x + 4) (x + 3) D. y = (x – 4) (x – 3)
A. x = 1 only B. x = 1, -2.5 C. x = -2.5 only D. no solution
25. At the high school play Adult tickets cost $3 more than student tickets. The Miller family paid $26 for 2 adult tickets and 2 student tickets. What is the cost in dollars of 1 student ticket?
26. Which of the following is the equation of a line that passes through the point (4, 2) and has an x-intercept of 4?
A. y = 4x – 14 B. y = 4x + 2 C. y = 4 D. x = 4
27. Solve 2x2 – 4x – 3 = 0
A. B. C. D.
Session 2 – Calculators not allowed
A. B. C. D.
2. Solve the system of equations below.
3x - y = 7
x + 3y = 19
What is the value of y in the solution? Answer in the grid to the right.
3. Solve for m:
4. Which of the following is equivalent to (4xy6)3?
A. 4x3y9 B. 4x3y18 C. 12x3y18 D. 64x3y18
5. Write an equation of a line that passes through the points (-2, 12) and (2, 4).
Answer____________________ 6. Solve the system of equations below.
3x + 4y = -14
3x 4y = -34
What is the x - value of the solution? Answer in the gridded response box on the right.
8. What is the solution of
9. Consider the statement below.
“All linear equations have a graph with one y-intercept.” Which of the following equations shows that this statement is false.