Toss-Ups 1. Jeff Metcalf is a baseball star who injures himself shortly after joining the big leagues, while his sister Linda pushes for women's rights. Gina Sloan, an Italian, deals with being in America after her husband dies and falls in love with her dead husband's best friend, Charlie Hailey. Charlie's wife Caroline, a Brit, is a vamp who steals young Jeff away from his sweetheart, Ginger Szabo (ZAH-BOW). All this occurs as the wealthy Sloans' try to stop their workers from unionizing, and strict Catholic mother Anne Metcalf, finds herself pregnant with her Jewish boyfriend's child. This unbelievable plot belonged to, FTP, what ABC series, which despite its' popularity and Emmy awards was canceled in 1993 after only two seasons.
A: Homefront 2. In 1998 the San Antonio Spurs selected him out of King High School with the 29th pick in the NBA draft. He would soon after be traded by the Spurs to the Dallas Mavericks. His problems began when he refused Dallas' request to play in a developmental league or go overseas to ease his transition to the NBA. Instead, he worked out away from his teammates and signed a $1.45 million contract the day the 1999-00 season began. The Mavericks released him on February 4, 2000 after being arrested twice and having multiple psychiatric problems. FTP, name this 21 year old who is most known for attempting suicide two weeks after the 1999-2000 basketball season began.
A: LeonSmith 3. "It's not the East or the West side. No it's not. It's not the North or the South side. No it's not. It's the Dark Side. You are correct. Don't get in front of the Empire. To all of you Vader Haters out there, we'll blow your planet up. What is the bidding my master? It's a disaster, Skywalker we're after. What if he could be turned to the Dark Side? Yes, he'd be a powerful ally. Another Dark Jedi. He will join us or die." FTP, this is the beginning of what popular online animation, number 2 on the top 5 downloads of atomfilms.com.
A: Star Wars Gansta Rap 4. Susan Ashton, Bob Carlise, Sandi Patty, 4him, Rich Mullins, Carmen, Fernando Ortega, Nicole Nordeman, Avalon, Third Day, Smalltown Poets, Point of Grace, Rebecca St. James, the W's. All these artists, as well as Jars of Clay, dcTalk, Michael W. Smith, and Steven Curtis Chapman, have been featured on this series compilation CD's. FTP, give the name of the albums, that have been coming out every year since 1996, along with a Gospel and Worship compilation of the same name, an interjection used to express wonder, amazement, or great pleasure.
A: Wow 5. Scott Hastings is a champion, but much to the chagrin of the Australian community, Scott believes in dancing "his own steps". Fran is a beginning dancer and a bit of an ugly duckling who has the audacity to ask to be Scott's partner after his unorthodox style causes his regular partner to dance out of his life. Together, these two misfits try to win the Australian Pan Pacific Championships and show the Ballroom Confederation that they are wrong when they say, "there are no new steps!" FTP, name this movie, released in 1992 and directed by Baz Luhrmann.
A: Strictly Ballroom 6. It comes in many different varieties, from English muffins, bagels, biscotti, lavosh, salad dressing, cheesecake, ice cream, sweetbread, and even dog treats. While the plant it is made from is a widely cultivated crop around the world, only the Hawaiian people make this product. In olden days, when a family brought a bowl of this delicacy to the table, all strife and conflict had to cease immediately. FTP, name this pudding-like delicacy made from boiling, peeling, and mashing the root, or corm, of the beautiful taro plant.
A: Poi 7. Born in Santa Clara, California in January of 1967, he originally was part of a hip-hop group until Snoop Dogg came out and he decided to form a band instead of pursuing that genre. He picked his roommate and best friend Kevin to be in the band before finding Greg in a group known as The Gents. Next, he picked up Paul and the four of them began their road to fame. Unfortunately, Kevin would get lost on the road and Michael would be picked-up. FTP name this lead singer of the band that could be called "All-Stars".
A: Steve Harwell 8. He knows everything from science to art. He's a wizard at calculus, psychology, plane geometry, and anthropology. He's the leading end in etymology and in bridge he excels. He knows everything about atomic energy, horse, boats, cars and biochemistry, but when it comes to brain surgery that he only does swell. This is the resume of one of animation's most beloved characters. Not only is he a genius (make no mistake), but the uncle of Donald Duck , a former 1961 television host, and a Dell comic book character. FTP name this character, arguably the smartest of all Disney cartoons.
A: Prof. Ludwig Von Drake (Note: This description comes from the character's own song, circ.1961)
9. One show by this company is a competition between three celebrity couples to find out who has the most solid celebrity marriage, another pairs celebrities with common Californians in a charades-type puzzle game, and a third pits a single person against a family pair to move across a board of letters to make it to the "Gold Rush" round for $5000. All of these are game shows produced by the same man. For 10 points, what is the name of the production company?
A: Mark Goodson Television Productions
10. She attended the Ethel Walker School in Simsbury, CT, speaks fluent French and German, grew to 6 feet tall by age 12, and graduated from Stanford University in 1972 with a bachelor's degree in English. She has portrayed such characters as Daisy Quimp, Paulina Escobar, Alice Goodwin, Debra Moorhouse, Lauren Slaughter, Jill Bryant, Angela Nardin, Max Conners, Ulga Yevanova, Dian Fossey, and Katherine Parker on flim. FTP, name this actress, best remembered as Lt. Ellen Ripley in the Alien movie series.
A: Sigourney Weaver 11. This stadium opened to a crowd of 45,044 people who watched the home team defeat the Chicago Cubs by a score of 5 to 4 in 1997. The largest crowd to ever attend a game in this stadium occurred on October 12, 1999 during game 6 of the NLCS, but its largest regular season crowd was in 1998 when the home team took on the Cardinals on July 31. For 10 points, name this stadium that was built to host the 1996 Summer Olympics and later became the home of the Atlanta Braves.
A: Turner Field 12. His friends have included Pam Blakeman, Zoe Gemelli, Kimberly Johnston, Toby Norman, Kenneth Heinly, Myra Jackson, and Jason Cromley. He married his college sweetheart on October 14, 2001 at the age of 24. His version of the freshman 10 was more like the freshman 100. FTP, name this man, who lost a whopping 245 pounds by walking to Subway to grab a 6 in for lunch and a 12 in for supper.
A: Jared Fogle (prompt on “Jared”)
13. They hail from St. Joseph, MO, Concord, MA, Brunswick, GA, and Houma, LA. They spent most of 2001 touring, sharing bills with heavy-hitters including Staind, Cold, Fuel, Deftones, and Godsmack. Armed with a fake backstage pass, some cunning and a buttload of self-belief, the lead singer and guitarist of this band managed to finagle a demo into the hands of security guy after a concert in Kansas City, MO in an attempt to get the tape to the head of Flawless Records. FTP, name this band, headed by vocalist Wes Scantlin, whose hits have included "She Hates Me," "Blurry," and "Control."
A: Puddle of Mudd
14. Fictional characters, menu items, magazines, capitals, kinds of candy, something you keep hidden, things with tails, pizza toppings, fish, countries, something you’re afraid of, items in this room, items in your purse/wallet, terms of endearment, kinds of dances, 4-letter words, car parts, words associated with exercise, bodies of water, things found in a medicine cabinet. FTP, these are all categories from what board game that uses 24 sided die?
A: Scattergories 15. Born April 20, 1959, he is he son of Rance and Jean. He attended R. L. Stevenson Elementary in Burbank, CA, and quit drinking in 1990. He’s been in numerous movies, including My Dog Skip, Splash, Parenthood, Leprechaun 2, The Rocketeer, Backdraft, Forget Paris, That Thing You Do, Ed TV, Little Nicky, and both of the Austin Powers flicks. FTP, name this man, who played Whobis in How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and who was awarded the MTV lifetime achievement award in 1998.
A: Clint Howard 16. This former Western Kentucky running back was not drafted by an NFL team but was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles in October of the 2001 season. He saw his first action in week 17, gaining six yards on 2 carries against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Prior to playing for the Eagles he was a kick returner for the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League, but is probably best known for his stint of the Las Vegas Outlaws of the XFL. FTP name this football player whose best known by his "He Hate Me" moniker on the back of his jersey.
A: Rod Smart (accept He Hate Me before “XFL”)
17. The Lubbocks were a family of ten residing in Eureka, California. Graham and Elizabeth were the parents, and their children were Marie, Wendy, Cindy, Connie, Sherry, J. R., and infant twins Michelle and Harvey. Throughout this show, Graham was a high school football coach, the four eldest daughters formed a singing group, and Connie's first job was at the slaughterhouse. For 10 points, name this television series that ran on ABC from 1988 to 1990.
A: Just the 10 of Us 18. Syd is a plastic surgeon from Los Angeles who moved back home on the other coast, to be a family practitioner in a free clinic. Her sister, Joanie, was to marry a fisherman, but is raising their daughter, Hannah, on her own, while living with their father. The matriarch of the family, Linda, died on Joanie's wedding day, thus postponing the ceremony indefinitely, although the engagement was later broken. Jim, Linda's widower, runs a veterinary clinic out of the basement of the family house. The Hansons make up the core characters on, for 10 points, what NBC family drama set in the capital city of a New England state?
19. This NHL team began its existence in the rival World Hockey League and merged into the NHL in 1979. Kevin Lowe scored the first goal of this team's NHL life against the Chicago Blackhawks on October 10, 1979. In their NHL history they have won the Stanley Cup 5 times. For ten points name this Canadian hockey team which has been home to NHL greats such as Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, and Paul Coffey.
A: EdmontonOilers 20. What the center of an unknown chocolate is. Which maid can hold on to the curtains the longest. How much money a hooker would charge for a disgusting fantasy containing Pepto-Bismol and butt-hair, and which passenger will puke first as a plane rocks and rolls. These are some of bets placed during the course of this movie which follows the main money event -- a journey to a small town in Arizona where 2 million dollars is waiting for one lucky winner. FTP, what is this remake of “It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World”?
A: Rat Race 21. Colin, Teck, Justin, Ruthie, Jamie, Melissa, Danny, Kelley, Coral, Lori, Malik, Mike, Montana, Aneesa, Chris, Keri, Kyle, Theo, Tonya, Amaya, and Kameelah. FTP, Jacinda, Cara and of course Puck have all been featured on what live-in reality show which recently celebrated it's tenth anniversary?
A: The Real World
1. Lately with the success of Harry Potter children's books have come to the forefront of modern day literature, and it seems that everyone is getting into the writing game, especially celebrities. For five points each and a bonus 5 for all correct I will give you the title of a children's book and you will give me the name of the celebrity author. Here we go.
A. "What's Heaven?"
B. "Budgie: The Little Helicopter"
C. "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles"
D. "Splat! The Tale of a Colorful Cat"
E. "Brothers of the Night"
2. 10-5, name the musical from songs.
10 -- "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood"
5 -- "C'est Moi", "The Lusty Month of May"
10 -- "I'll Know"
5 -- "Sue Me", "The Oldest Established"
A: Guys and Dolls
10 -- "Heaven Hop"
5 -- "Blow, Gabriel, Blow", "Friendship"
A: Anything Goes
3. Given the strange event in Chicago Bears history name the player who performed it FTSNP.
A. For 5 points, name this 1985 rookie defensive tackle scored more rushing touchdowns in the Super Bowl than the Bears’ leading rusher Walter Payton.
A: William Perry (prompt on the Fridge or Refrigerator Perry)
B. For 10 points, name the current Bears free safety that returned interceptions for touchdowns in overtime in consecutive weeks during the 2001 season.
A: Mike Brown
C. For 15 points, In the final game of the 2001 season against Jacksonville this defensive tackle intercepted a pass and rumbled 67 yards for one of the funniest plays of the season.
A: Keith Traylor
4. Name these "Lil'"(little) people given their real name, for the stated number of points.
5 -- Kimberly Denise Jones
A: Lil' Kim
10 -- Percy Miller
B: Lil' Romeo
15 -- Cindy Levin
C: Lil' Mo
5. Given the description of an emoticon, tell who it’s supposed to represent, 5-5-10-10.
A. Five, colon, dash, right-side parenthesis mark 5:-)
D. at symbol, at symbol, at symbol, at symbol, colon, dash, right-side parenthesis @@@@:-)
A: Marge Simpson 6. Name the actor from movies they’ve appeared in on a 10-5 basis.
10 -- Giant, Sailor Beware
5 -- East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause
A: James Dean
10 -- Night and Day, Once Upon a Honeymoon
5 -- That Touch of Mink, North by Northwest
10 -- 10,000 Kids and a Cop, Made for Each Other
5 -- It’s a Wonderful Life, Harvey
7. Insert witty comment on alcohol here. FTPE, name these drinks from a recipe for each.
A. 0.5 oz Amaretto, 0.5 oz peppermint Schnapps, 0.5 oz coffee liqueur. Stir with crushed ice and strain into shot glass.
A: Buzzard's Breath
B. 1.5 oz Citrus Vodka, 0.5 oz Triple Sec, 0.25 oz Black Raspberry Liqueur. Shake with crushed ice and strain into chilled shot glass.
A: Purple Hooter
C. 0.5 oz Vodka, 0.5 oz Rum, 0.5 oz Melon Liqueur, 0.5 oz Lemonade. Shake with crushed ice and strain into shot glass.
A: Green Demon
8. FTPE, a given description of a famous skier, you tell me whom I am describing. To help you out all of the skiers in this questions are Americans.
A. Born in Rutland, Vermont in 1947 she took up Alpine skiing at the age of three, this lead her to the prestigious position of captain of the 1968 US Olympic Women's Alpine team. She also fought successfully to get freestyle skiing admitted to the Winter Olympics. Though, thanks to TV Land, she is probably better known to today's generation for the Chapstick commercial she did in the 70s where she gave herself a new name to go along with the sponsor's.
A: Suzy Chaffee
B. He was a two-time world ski champ until his lover Claudine Longet shot and killed him on March 21, 1976.
A: Spider Sabich
C. Famous for his "360 mute-grab" this moguls champ as won bronze, silver, and gold. He was the 2000 Winter X-Games Big Air silver medalist, in 1995 he won a bronze medal at the World Championships, but most notably he was the 1998 Winter Olympics moguls gold medalist. Not bad for a kid from California.
A: Jonny Moseley
9. VH1 has been doing a lot of lists lately. I’ll give you the category and you give me the runner up, FTPE
A. 100 greatest albums of rock and roll
B. 100 greatest dance songs
A: Don’t Leave Me this Way
C. 100 greatest artists of hard rock
A: Black Sabbath 10. Finish the movie quote from Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery FTPE
A. “I've been frozen for 30 years. I've got to see… (8 words)
A: if my bits and pieces are still working.”
B. “That's Dr. Evil's cat…How can you tell? (6 words)
A: I never forget a pussy... cat.”
C. Well, no offense, but if that is a woman it looks like… (7 words)
A: she was beaten with an ugly stick!”
11. For the stated number of points, name the show from which each TV theme came.
A. For 5 points---"She was working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens, till her boyfriend kicked her out in one of those crushing scenes; what was she to do, where was she to go, she was out on her fanny…"
A: The Nanny
B. For 15 points---"This is it, the night of nights; no more rehearsing and nursing a part, we know every part by heart."
A: The Bugs Bunny Show
C. For 10 points---"On your mark, get set and go now, got a dream and we just know now, we're gonna make that dream come true-and we'll do it our way, yes our way…make all of our dreams come true for me and you."
A: Laverne and Shirley
12. FTSNOP, I’ll give you the performer who sang the national anthem, you give me either the year or the number of the Superbowl.
A: 1983 or XVII 13. Name the album from tracks, 15-5
15 -- Flying, Blue Jay Way
5 -- Baby You're A Rich Man, I Am The Walrus, All You Need Is Love
Magical Mystery Tour
15 -- Misery, Chains, Anna
5 -- I Saw Her Standing There, Twist And Shout, Love Me Do
Please, Please Me 14. Many actors and actresses get their start in the wonderful world of soap operas. On this bonus I will give you a character's name, the soap opera that character is from and the years that the actor portrayed that character. Finally, you will give me the famous actor or actress who portrayed that character. FTPE
A. Kendell Hart Lang - "All My Children"- 1993-1995
A: Sarah Michelle Gellar
B. Dr. Mark Toland- "One Life to Live"- 1971-1975
A: Tommy Lee Jones
C. Betsy Stewart Montgomery Andropolous- "As the World Turns" - 1982-1984
A: Meg Ryan
15. 40-30-20-10-5-1 Name the athlete
40 -- He's an American soccer player
30 -- He scored the first goal in the history of the MLS
20 -- He has played for the San Jose Earthquakes, Miami Fusion, New England Revolution, and Chicago Fire and was claimed off waivers by the L.A. Galaxy for the 2002 season.
10 -- He is the all time goals scored leader for the U.S. Men's national team.
5 -- He goes by the nickname of Waldo
1 -- His trading cards say Eric Wynalda
Eric Wynalda 16. For 10 points each, given a TV pair and the network, name their series.
A. Tess and Monica, CBS
A: Touched by an Angel
B. Luis and Todd, NBC
A: Suddenly Susan
C. Jack and Jen, WB
A: Dawson's Creek 17. FTPE, I’ll give you the names of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees and you give me the year they were inducted. You’ll get 5 points if you’re within 1 year.
A. Ritchie Valens, The Flamingos, Michael Jackson, Queen, Aerosmith
B. Bob Marley, John Lennon, Rod Stewart
C. Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Mamas and the Papas
A: 1998 18. At many universities campus life revolves around the Greek system and fictional universities are no different. FTPE, given the name of a movie and description of the fraternity or sorority give that Greek house's name. For example if I said the nerds house in Revenge of the Nerds you would say Lamda Lamda Lamda. Got it? Good.
A. FTP it was the nerds' sister house in Revenge of the Nerds.
A: Omega Mu
B. FTP it was Elle Woods house in the movie Legally Blonde and the name she used to see her jailed "sister".
A: Delta Nu
C. Finally, this bonus wouldn't be anything without an Animal House question, so FTP what was the name of Delta House's archenemies house?
A: Omega house
19. Given a list of baseball parks and the years a team played there, name the major league team that has called them home FTSNP
A. For 5 points, Comerica Park 2000-present.
A: Detroit Tigers
B. For 10 points, Robison Field 1893-1920, Sportsman's Park 1921-1966
A: St. Louis Cardinals
B. For 15 points, Washington Park I&II 1884-1890, Eastern Park 1891-1897, Washington Park III 1898-1912,
A: Brooklyn Dodgers (prompt at Dodgers)
20. Answer the following about each of the movies in the Indiana Jones Trilogy.
A. Portrayed by Paul Freeman, this French archaeologist and old rival of Indys sold out to the Nazis and helped them search for the ark. He eventually melted when the sheer power of the ark was released.
A: Rene Belloq
B. Played by Jonathan Ke Quan, this was Indys fast talking, Chinese boy sidekick in Temple of Doom, with a rather unusual name.
A: Short Round (prompt on Shorty)
C. This actor portrayed a young Indiana at the beginning of The Last Crusade. He passed away in 1993 of a drug overdose.