PEAC Scholars Pursuing Excellence in the Academic Curricula
The staff of Col. Zadok Magruder High School, a large public high school with deeply embedded traditions as well as a focus on the future, works together with our diverse students and their families to create a positive learning environment accessible to all students, where integrity and a sense of community are paramount. Through meaningful co-curricular activities, equitable support systems, and rigorous instruction, we promote the development of literate, responsible, well-rounded members of society. As part of Montgomery County Public Schools, we are guided by the following core values:
• Every child can learn and succeed.
• The pursuit of excellence is fundamental and unending.
• An ethical school system requires fair treatment, honesty, openness, integrity, and respect.
• A high-quality school system strives to be responsive and accountable to the customer.
In addition, the staff of Magruder High School operates on the following beliefs:
• Children learn at different rates and in different ways.
• Teachers must be passionate about their vocation, their subjects, and working with students.
• Students must assume responsibility for and = take an active role in their own learning.
• Education is the shared responsibility of the institution, the family, the community, and the student.
• Cooperation among students and a partnership among teachers, students, and families are necessary to enhance the learning process.
• Effective education develops the whole person—intellectually, emotionally, socially, and physically.
• Learning how to learn provides the necessary framework for academic success throughout a student’s academic and professional life.
Our PEAC Scholars Program is just one more indication of our commitment to providing the best educational opportunities to all students.PEAC Scholars is an inter-disciplinary,
four-year college-preparatory cohort. Its focus is on independent learning and the development of sophisticated written and oral communication skills with an emphasis on critical thinking. Designed for the highly able student, PEAC Scholars offers accelerated courses that are only available to those accepted into the program.
The course selection is designed to offer our scholars the opportunity to study at a pace and level appropriate for those seeking and capable of more in-depth and rigorous learning. Please see Attachment A for the required courses and their sequence.