Title: Associate Expert in Project/Programme Management
Duration: 1 year (with possible extension for another year)
Date Required: 1 January 2009
Duty Station (location, sector): Nairobi, Kenya
Title of the supervisor: Senior Administrative Officer (SAO)
Content and methodology
of the supervision: Under the supervision of the SAO and in collaboration with the mission’s programme managers, the Associate Programme Expert will be responsible for assisting the projects managers in the formulation and implementation of the missions annual work programme of projects.
identify problems and issues to be addressed and recommend corrective actions;
liaise with relevant parties; identify and tracks follow-up actions;
provide substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging development issues and trends;
assist in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the clients, by planning and facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the clients will use to manage the change;
contribute to the preparation of various written reports, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, etc.
provide administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc.;
participate in the preparation of presentations on program activities;
participate in the development of workshops, seminars, etc.;
participate in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
coordinate activities relating to budget funding (project preparation and submissions, progress reports, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports.
performs other duties as requested.
4. Competencies • Professionalism – Knowledge with understanding of project development and the major programme management challenges, particularly those of post conflict and developing countries; ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
• Planning and Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
5. Qualifications and experienceQualifications: An advanced university degree in a field related to development, business administration, budget, finance, management of projects, or programme development. A first university degree in combination with relevant experience may be acceptable in lieu of an advanced degree.
Work experience: A minimum of two years progressively responsible experience in project formulation/programme management, budget planning/preparation, financial administration or related areas.
6. Learning Elements After the assignment the Associated Programme Expert will be able to: