Social Studies 7 Name ________________________________________
Period _____ Date _________________________________________
Multiple Choice Practice: Unit 1
1. Which heading best completes the partial outline below?
A. Mayflower Compact
B. House of Burgesses
C. New England town meetings
(2) Development of Self-Government in the American Colonies
(3) Establishment of British Parliamentary Control Over the Colonies
(4) Social Reform Movements in the American Colonies
2. In the 1700s, the triangular trade led directly to the
(1) middle colonies’ role as the chief importers of agricultural products
(2) rapid industrialization of the southern colonies
(3) decline of the New England economy
(4) increased importation of enslaved Africans to the Western Hemisphere
3. Which city is correctly paired with the geographic feature that most directly affected its growth?
(1) New Orleans — Pacific Ocean
(2) New York City — Chesapeake Bay
(3) Chicago — Great Lakes
(4) Los Angeles — Appalachian Mountains
4. Based on the rankings on the census chart, the most populous state in 1900 and 1950 was
(1) California (2) Illinois (3) Massachusetts (4) New York
5. Based on the ranking from the 2000 census, which pair of states had the greatest number of electors in the 2008 presidential election?
(1) Florida and California
(2) Iowa and Indiana
(3) Pennsylvania and Virginia
(4) California and Texas
6. The Mayflower Compact is considered an important step in the development of American democracy because it
(1) established the principle of separation of church and state
(2) provided a basis for self-government in the Plymouth Colony
(3) defined relations with local Native American Indians
(4) outlawed slavery in the Massachusetts Bay Colony
7. The presence of which pair of geographic conditions discouraged the development of a plantation economy in the New England colonies?
(1) wide coastal plain and absence of good harbors
(2) rocky soil and short growing season
(3) numerous rivers and humid climate
(4) flatlands and lack of forests
8. What was the main cause of the French and Indian War (1754–1763)?
(1) disputed land claims in the Ohio River valley between the French and the British
(2) conflicts between American colonists and the French over control of the Great Plains
(3) taxation of American colonists without representation in Parliament
(4) violation of trade agreements between European nations and Native American Indians
Base your answer to question 9 on the map below and on your knowledge of social studies.
9. This map shows the western limit on colonial settlement that resulted from the